Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Question about Contractions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Question about Contractions

OK - last night I went to L&D.  I was having strong contractions (although not pa inful just lots of pressure) and cramping every ten minutes for an hour and then every 5 to 7 minutes the next hour.  So just to "see" we went to L&D.  They monitored my contractions which went from regular to sporadic and then checked my cervix....CLOSED!  So I was sent home - of course.  However - while I was there this really young girl (maybe 16 or 17) came in with her water already broke and dialated to a 5 - was a 6 before I left.  And I got scared out of my mind!!!  Every time she would have a contraction she would scream as though someone were trying to kill her and she was crying and she was begging - make this stop please make this stop.  I got SO freaked out.  I started thinking - I'm not sure I can do this.  It was about 1 in the morning, so she was having to wait for the anesthesiologist to come up to the floor to give her an epidural - but I'm wondering.  Can it be that painful?  Is it possible she was kind of a drama queen?  I don't know - she sounded like she was in sooo much pain, I just started praying for her.  I mean - what does it really feel like???
Every woman is different with different pain levels.  I was induced with pitocin and I think that made my contractions even more painful. To be honest it was very painful and with the bad contractions I would actually black out from the pain. I progressed so quickly tho that I did not have time to get the epidural. With all that being said I would go through it all again. It is so worth it.

That is not to say that yours will be terrible.
labour is painful...but if it were really THAT bad - no one would ever do it again and we'd all be only children. It is well worth the pain when you hold your baby in your arms.
For me, I had the mentality that I would try labor without meds but I wouldn't rule them out.  Well I was induced, which could have made the contractions more painful, but until I was about 3cm the contractions were very tolerable - then the doctor broke my water.  Immediately after he broke my water I had such strong contractions.  I have never been in labor before, but I didn't expect them to be that bad so soon.  I couldn't even sit still they hurt so bad.  They are like really really bad period cramps, I mean really bad.  I'm not trying to scare you because everyone's pain tolerance is different - but I know that the next time I go into labor I will tell them right away I want the epidural :) Like the others said, the end result makes it all worth it though.

I think it also has a lot to do with your mindset before labor.  If you think that it will hurt, it will deffinitely hurt a lot.  If you think that its a pain that you can handle and work through it to give birth, then it will be more tolerable.  If you think that you wont be able to handle it, you really wont.
The mind is a very powerful thing, just don't be scared of labor, the world is pretty overpopulated and the majority of women for thousands of years have given birth without medication, if it were THAT bad, we would be like the dinosours, EXTINCT.  So, you and I and everyone in here can handle a regular birth with no complications, just trust yourself and your body.  If you need the drugs, then take them but don't expect the worse because you will get it.
As the other ladies have said everyone acts differently and responds differently to pain and having a baby.  Did you know that a small percentage of women liken childbirth to having an intense, pleasurable, orgasm????

I was induced and the contractions got painful toward the end and I elected to get an epidural (dilated very quickly) and did not make a single moan or cry throughout the whole process.  I would assume that a 16 year old might experience pain to an higher degree as their bodies and minds are not always as mature (for lack of a better term) as ladies who have a few more years under their belts.
I was a screamer also. I was stuck at 3 for days and the contractions were there, but didn't hurt. When I went from 3 to 10 really quick it was horrible. I think it all depends on the woman and what kind of labor your are having. A hard fast labor or back labor could cause you more pain than usual. It all just depends. Some women don't yell at all and take it all like a champ.

Her age probably didn't help. I imagine she was freaked out on top of everything else.
i've never had a super painful labor out of all of my 3..but my last 2 children made my pregnancies high risk with trying to come so early so i was in the hospital alot..at times i had to stay for about 3 weeks..i dont think she was trying to be a drama queen..having a baby can be painful for some people..i mean look how big a baby is comming from that small hole..at the times i was in the hospital i've heard many women screaming as if someone was killing them..i've even heard of someone getting the epidural and still sceaming as if they were dying..it's a scary feeling to hear someone in so much pain like that..i remember when i had my first child..right after he came out the girl next to me was having her baby and she was screaming her head off and yelling that it hurt so much that she couldnt do it anymore..it scared the hell out of me..i would have freaked out crazy if i would have heard her before i had my son...but like i said i've heard many many women in that hospital screaming as if they are dying...ughh i hate thinking about it..im glad i am all done with all of that!! lol
She most likely was not exaggerating. I would recommend watching birth videos on YouTube, doing some research on birth and pain management.

There's no turning back now. And if you feel pain is going to be a big problem, you can request an epidural. I had them with two of my births.

I do want to add that when I was in labor, it hurt, but I wasn't screaming and moaning. In fact, I didn't make a sound. Some women act differently! Perhaps it felt better for the girl at the hospital to scream and yell out. It's NOT productive and fear can make the pain even worse.
I have to add that if she was truly a young teen, perhaps she was so scared that it WAS making her contractions more painful. If no one has educated her or given her techniques to cope with the pain (and yes, you CAN learn to cope with the pain and get through it) then obviously she was making a huge fuss.

Hypnobirthing is becoming really popular. So are water births. Those seem to be more peaceful, low-key births.
When I had my son, I tolerated the pain to 9cm. He was coming down crooked and at that point it became VERY painful. If it wasn't for that, it probably would have been okay. I seriously have no tolerance for pain, and I have no idea how I went drug free. I was talking and laughing up until that point. It's different for everyone though. I used a tub for some of it, but I preferred to be walking around, which I think helped a lot. I plan on doing the same thing this time around. Everyone always gave me the horror story of what contractions and the birth process would be like, but until you are in it yourself, you will never really know. I blocked out the horror stories and was determined to do it naturally. I'm glad I had the experience. And of course, the end result is always so rewarding! =) Holding your newborn baby is the best thing in the world. Makes you forget all about that pain you were in.
i have had contraction while i was sleeping i was sleeping good then i wake up go to the restroom then i start my contraction at 4am it hurt but i didnt yell or scream i still can walk up n down the stair but when the contraction come i have to sit down some where for like 5 min then at 12 in the midnight i went to the hospital i had my daughter at 5 am the next day it feel like taking a dump at first when they had break my water i was scared i was 17 at that time i had to take that shot where it no more pain i couldnt even move my leg after that but i like that shot no pain at all just push the baby out it take me one hr an a half to push her out she tho got a long head but it all good now but before labor i would walk alot so it would be easy my mother in law always make me walk durning my pregnancy like around 7 month we would go walking for couple of hr it was fun cuz two of my sis in law was pregnant at the same time as i were so walking alot could help pain i think i am pregnant again with my 2nd child i hope it the same as the first one