Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Question about the ring on a string trick to tell the sex of the baby?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

HI ladies,
I was just wondering exactly how you do it and what to the results mean. About 9 yrs ago I had a lady do it with a needle and string over my right wrist and she said up and down was a boy, side to side was a girl and in a circle meant multiples. How accurate is this and does anyone have any different ideas. My DH wants to do it over my tummy to see if we can tell what the baby is. Any thought would be appreciated.
Brandy
I did the ring on a string with my first and it was right (a girl).  Just did it again with my second and it says I'm having another girl.  We shall see if it's right this time around in 4 months.  

Lay flat on your back.  They say it works best with your wedding ring but I am sure any ring will work.  Have your hubby or someone tap your stomach with the ring and see what it doeswhile the ring is still over your stomach.  I haven't heard of the circular motion being multiples but have heard that a boy is side to side and a girl is circular motion.  Mine went in a circular motion.  

This is an old wives tale and I wouldn't count on it being correct but with everyone I know that have tried it, it's been correct except for 1 friend.  So out of approx 20 ppl, it was incorrect with 1.  
I've recently done this trick and I think I may be pregnant the first time I done it the ring swang back and forth but went in cirles as well so I don't it again and it just swang in circles can someone help?? :s
This isn't for determining pregnancy. It isn't even accurate in determining gender. It is based on the motion of the planet, as well as the steadiness of the person holding it. If pregnancy is suspected you need to do a pregnancy test to see what's going on.
I've done this method many times, but I use a necklace with a cross. You put it over your right hand, move it up and down 3 times. If it does a circle its a girl, if it goes side to side its a boy. Then you move it up and down again to find out what your next child will be. You do it until it doesn't move at all. This tells you the number of children, plus the sex of the children you will have now and in the future.
well I used to think that if it went in a circle it was a girl and up and down its a boy, but I've had a look on different web sites and they all say different things so who knows lol :)