Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Residual HCG 3 months after miscarriage???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I miscarried May 24, 2010 and got a positive pregnancy test yesterday Sept 8, 2010 is it possible that the positive is from left over HCG from my first pregnancy? or is 3 months far to long to have residual HCG? I did have what I thought to be a normal period August 14th which would make me 3 weeks 2 days pregnant would a pregnancy test even show a positive right now? I'm so confused
Sounds like a new pregnancy to me. Its possible for HCG to stay in your system for a while after a miscarriage but I doubt there would be any almost 4 months later. Best thing to do would be to schedule and appointment with your doctor and have them do a blood test and then a repeat one within 48-72 hours to make sure they are rising correctly. Congrats! :)
Sounds like you are pregnant again...

But remember... Just becase your last pregnancy ended in Miscarriage doesnt mean your next one will 1 in 5 pregnancies end in Miscarriage. I had an M/c and I got pregnant in the same week. And I'll be 5 and a half months on Sunday.

Sorry for your loss. But congrats on your pregnancy :)..
make an apt at the docs and make sure your levels are doubling!

xx
If you had a blood test after the miscarriage that showed your levels to be 0 or close to 0, then you can be confident this is a new pregnancy.  If not, there is a slim chance some tissue remained from the miscarriage and that is what the pregnancy test is picking up.  (This happened to me after I miscarried twins -- even three months later, I would pee positive on a test stick, even though I knew I was no longer pregnant.)  Go to the doc, as the other ladies suggest, and get two hCG tests, two days apart to check for the rate of rise.  If the level is not rising, you might need an MRI of your uterus to see if there is any tissue left in the uterus.  I don't suspect that is what is going on because you had a period, but you never know.  Hope it's a new pregnancy!!!  
I would say its a new pregnancy, congrats!
If you have to wait to see a dr. I would go out and buy the new digital tests that tell you how far along you are. I purchased it and it was right on the ball...I thought it was a fantastic tool.
keep us posted
I would also say a new pregnancy.  I got a positive around 3 weeks 5 days on my third pregnancy.  I would not think that your hcg hormone would last 3 months.  It's been 3 weeks and 2 days since my last miscarriage and 2 weeks ago it was at 31 and I go back today to make sure it's at 0.  Do get in to see a doctor and they can confirm.  Congrats!
6-weeks is the cutoff unless there was tissue left behind that is still causing elevated levels of HCG. If your doctor and/or pregnancy test verified your HCG had returned to normal, non-pregnant levels (under 5 MIU) then assume this is a new pregnancy.

diamondintherough- what test do you speak of? I've never heard of them?!
PS 3 months is definitely way too long to have residual HCG. I would assume this is a new little baby!!!
Joy:

The Clearblue Digital Pregnancy Test with Conception Indicator gives you double confirmation of the result. Its Smart Dual Sensor™ not only tells you in words if you’re pregnant or not, but if you are, it also shows you how many weeks pregnant you are.

Over 99% accurate from the day your period is due
The only test to also tell you the number of weeks since you conceived
Gives unmistakably clear results
So sensitive, you can test up to 4 days early*
Easy to use with its unique hourglass symbol to show you the test is working
The brand most recommended by doctors**

They are pregnancy tests that basically say Pregnant and something like for example 6 - 8 weeks...
The brand is Clear Blue tests :)

x
Ya, thats the one.
under the pregnant result it will show up a 1-2(meaning weeks since conception, therfore 3-4 weeks preggo) up to 3+ which would  mean 5+ weeks pregnant.
I had bought mine at walmart, they didnt think they carried them yet but it was behind the counter. It was $23.00 for 2 tests,  A pretty good deal, I thought!
I didn't have any blood work done after my miscarriage, and i never took a pregnancy test afterward to check my levels to see if they ever returned to normal... I really wish i could go back and do that now so i wouldnt be so frustrated with wondering about that lol, the only reason i took this pregnancy test was because my breasts are never sore even before my cycle starts the only time ive ever known them to be sore was at the beginning of my last pregnancy I have an appointment Tues the 14th i'll keep everyone updated thanks so much for your input i have searched the internet since i got my positive result :)