Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Rib pain at 24 weeks?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Rib pain at 24 weeks?

Just a quick question for anyone who has had this happen before.

I am 24wks5days pregnant... I just got over a cold that I had for 2 weeks and my left rib cage is absolutely killing me.  I did a LOT of coughing while I was sick and am still coughing a bit now.  For the last week I haven't been able to sleep on my left side at all b/c it actually feels like the rib(s) are bruised ... and everytime I cough I get a very intense shooting pain in that same area (also around to my back).  I swear it feels like I cracked a rib or something (although this seems unlikely).  It's actually sore to the touch as well... there's no visable bruising, but when poked at it feels like it must be bruised internally.  

Has anyone ever had this happen to them while pregnant (or while sick and pregnant)?  I've heard that your ribs do get spread a little bit once your uterus (and baby) starts pushing upwards... perhaps that's the cause?  Thanks guys!
One of my best friends who was NOT pregnant had a very bad cold a few months ago and SEVERELY bruised one of her ribs from excessive coughing so it can happen.  With the extra pressure on your ribs from pregnancy I would think this could occur more easily  than in those who are not pregnant.  Try icing it and definitely be very careful around that area.  Does tylenol help the pain at all?  If it gets too bad, give your doctor a call for recommendations.

BTW:  I have experienced rib pain on and off thoughout this pregnancy (Im 35 weeks) but it typically a pain that comes on periodically and has not prevented me from sleeping on my ribs.
Excessive coughing can lead to bruised or even broken ribs sometimes. Youd know if it was broken because it would hurt like h*ll to even breathe.  Try to take it easy for a day or two, and you should feel better.

(I have a bad cough from allergies. it sounds like I'm a smoker... I'm not, and I've had the same feeling before)
Thanks guys...
I've tried Tylenol (since it's the one med I can take), but it doesn't even touch the pain.  At least it doesn't hurt when I breathe (so, yup, probably not broken)... but every time I cough, I have to brace myself and cough very gently... even so, it still ends up feeling like my ribs are getting squeezed or stabbed.  I bought a body pillow to sleep with at night (just yesterday) and it seemed to help a little bit, but I still can't lie on my left side.  

In all honesty, I went into the pregnancy knowing that I'd be experiencing worse than "normal" back pain b/c I have scoliosis and I've had 2 surgeries for it (spinal fusion when I was 15 yrs-old and then one just 3 years ago to remove all of the fusion rods/screws b/c of infection)... I think the rib pain is just an added bonus b/c of the cold/cough.  =)  I plan on calling my doc on Monday since I have to call and get my Glucose/Diabetes results then anyway... so I can let them know what's going on with my ribs.  (And my ribs are a little contorted to begin with b/c of the scoliosis, so maybe that's why they got bruised/injured so easily)  
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers