Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Rotten Egg Burps, Diareah and horrible gas?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I am 33 weeks pregnant and have had many complications. I have severe right sided pain that is unbearable and the doctors have done two endoscopys, ultra sounds, and blood tests to rule out gallbladder issues. All of the tests came back negative for gallbladder and the doctors are stumped. I have been in and out of the hospital for the last five weeks because of pain and dehydration. Eating food makes the pain worse. For the last ten days it feels like something else is going on because it has all gotten worse. I burp the most foul tasting (like rotten eggs) burps, I have diareah and runny stools when I poop and horrible gas. What could be wrong with me? Is there anything to do for the burps? They are making me super sick.
Hi, I just wanted to suggest that you try to stop drinking milk, at least for a few days and watch to see if the pain goes away. My lactose intolerance tends to give me a pain under the right ribs that is very similar to what you describe.

Lactose intolerance will give you bloating and pain in the lower abdomen, loose stools and even diarrhea, with various degrees of pain depending on the amount of lactose you ingest. The worse for me is Ice cream, pizza, and plain milk. Organic milk gives me less of a problem I can tolerate it and sometimes it just gives me the pain in the right side under my ribs that people mention here. Yogurt is generally tolerated but at low quantities, (the bacteria digests some of the lactose in it), cheese on the other hand is not well tolerated, nothing dairy is, which is a bummer, because its hard to substitute milk on things like coffee and get the same flavor.

I don't want to minimize the need to get the pain checked out by a doctor, but if you have had this done already, and have lived with this problem for some time without an answer, it may be worth the try.

If you find that the milk is the problem, the best solution is lactase enzyme tablets, or just switch from eating cheese, milk products, etc to other alternatives. I am pain free now :) , as long as I dont have milk. :(

Hello As far as the burps go-  they are probably related to acid reflux.  With you being pregnant the baby is probably pushing upward on your diaphragm,  This is causing  gastric juices to build up.  Ask your doctor which antacid you can take and start taking them a few times a day to see if that will help. Try to avoid gas producing foods, like beans, onions things like that.  I LOL think I drank truck loads of Malanta when I was PG.  

The built up gas could also be part of the cause of your side pain too but I know you said they have checked for gallbladder problems when I had mine removed the pain was right sided and all the tests were negative.  My surgeon told me which I knew from being a RN that with gallbladder tests you can have false negatives and yet still have a gallbladder problem.  Your symptoms including the diarrhea, certainly sounds like gall bladder but of course being pregnant you have to find some way to tolerate it for 7 more weeks.  So I recommend antacids, and after the baby is born get that gall bladder out if the symptoms don't go away.  Also lay on your left side with knees bent and that will help allow the gas to come out faster.    Good Luck.

It definitely sounds like you've got some GI issues going on
dat cud be acid reflex n plus try to drink alot of water n cranberry juice