Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Ruptured Amniotic Membrane

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Ruptured Amniotic Membrane

I am 21w4d pregnant and my water broke three weeks ago.  I have been in the hospital on my back ever since.  My doc says I am doing good and beating the odds so far because I haven't gone into labor.  I know my baby is at risk for not having proper lung development, but I am wondering what other concerns I should have.  Doc said if arms and legs get in an awkward position there could be problems with them developing properly.  I am concerned with brain damage/cerebral palsey/mental retardation.  My doctor is trying to get me to the magic 24 weeks so I can be transferred to the neonatal unit at a larger hospital.  He seems to think things will be okay once I get to that point.  I am doing everything I can possibly do (laying flat on my back and drinking lots of water) to reaccumulate my fluid levels, but still do not have much.  Seems like I lose the fluid as fast as baby makes it.  Doc said that will happen and not to get down about it.  This is a very trying time for me and my husband.  Mentally, hysically and emotionally it is taking it's toll on me.  I am trying to remain optomistic.  As my husband says, I am doing this for our family.  The thing that keeps me going is that I know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and at most this will be over with in a few months.  If anyone has experienced this before, I would like to hear from you.  Thank you.
I think the best person to talk to would be Want2BeMama she delivered her little boy at 24 weeks. He is now healthy and perfect and a whole 18 lbs.
good luck to you. i have heard so many stories abt water break in middle and finaly gave a birth a healthy baby. just keep faith in god.
Good luck!  I have no advice but Alaysha pointed you in the right direction!
You are in my prayers.  There may be issues with mental and physical problems, but just know that when this kid makes it it's for a reason. god has a plan. Keep doing as the doctor says, and good luck.
This has not happened to me but you're very brave and I want to encourage you to keep at it! It will definitely all be worth it in the end and it sounds like you've got a great team of support.
I will be thinking of you and your baby!
I just want to share a story of encouragement with you........I have a really good friend who's daughter's water broke at 16 weeks.  The doctor tried to talk her into letting him induce her and she REFUSED to let him do that.  After many weeks of prayers and taking it easy, she made it to 30 weeks and delivered a baby girl.  The baby is 4 weeks old and she is off all machines and is taking a bottle now.  The just moved her last week to a "crib" as the grandma calls it, and she is doing wonderful.  They are going to go ahead and keep her for 4 more weeks just as a precaution.  

I know this is NOT typical, but it sounds like you are headed in the right direction.  Do not give up faith as miracles happen every day.  I will be praying for you and your baby.
Thank you to all who posted.   I am still in the hospital...I just made it to week #22.  I hope to make it to at least 30 weeks.  I continue to leak fluid every day, but some days less than others.  Doc tells me not to worry and that I am doing everything I can do.  How do I get in touch with Want2BeMama?  I am new to this forum and trying to figure things out.  If anyone knows who she is and can me in touch with her, I need to talk with more people who this has happened to and talk about the outcomes...especially if the outcome is good.

Thanks again!!!

Cherie
Cherie~ I wanted to say a huge congrats already... one baby step at a time!

You can click on her screen name and then send a note or message her... it's up to you. You can also send a friend invite!

Good luck and your in my prayers to reach that majic number!
Hi cherie i read your story and my moms is exactly like that her water broke yesterday around midnight she is 21 weeks pregnant. The baby has a heart beat and everything its perfectly healthy on the inside thats what the doc said. We are hopeing to go out to 30 weeks so she can have the baby. Were all worried. So i can deff say i relate to your story. Thank You.
Thank you guys mentioning Cherie to me, i come on here from time to time..but not as much as i would like to...taking care of a preemie is a hard job but the most rewarding one...especially when hes not so much a preemie anymore LOL 17.8 lbs, 26 inch and still growing!!   A MIRACLE!
I want to wish you the best of luck and I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
Hello; my name is Tonya and Iam currently in a situation similar to yours.  My water broke at 21 weeks and I am currnetly 31 weeks 4 days. The doctor told me I would have to be hosptitalized at 24 weeks up until I have the baby, but I prolonged it. I waited until I was 28 weeks and that's when I was admitted to the hopsital. My due date isn't until april 25 and they are trying to get me to 34 weeks and then they are going to induce me. The doctor told me the same thing about the lungs not being developed when I have him, and that he could die. I know what kind of god I serve and he's the man wth almighty power. Man don't have the last word it's GOD and you remember that. I know exactly what you're going thru, but the worst things about my situation is the doctor gave me an option of terminating my pregnancy at 21 weeks. I told her no because that was something hard to do when you know your child growing inside of you has life, why would someone want to kill it. Our situation is like one of many other situations and thy don't care. So that's where we have to step up to the plate and tell GOD all about it, he hears all prayers and he answers prayers too.
I have been in this hospital friday coming will be a month and it's miserable. I don't have visitors everyday, my husband can't be with me everyday because I have a 6yr old and 11yr old back at home, and he's getting ready to go to Afghanistan in April so he's busy. My family and friends turned their back on me, they won't come to see me so it's hard. Then one doctor will tell me I can do this, and the other says I can't. I've been given steroids to strengthen his lungs and they monitor his heart rate everday, besides taking my temp and blood pressure every two hours. I was given antibiotics for 7 days. I've had 10 ivs and only 5 successful because the nurse claims the vein went dead. I'm on my 3 hospital bed cause the others went off. So remember you're not the only one going thru this, I am too. Without words of encouragement from the pastors, and prayer I don't know what I would do. But you just keep the faith and hold on god's not dead, he hears your cry. And I will keep you in my prayers.
Tonya