Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Scared and Confused

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Scared and Confused

I'm 26 weeks pregnant and i'm barely feeling my baby move....it has been 3 days now with nothing. I was told that i have a UTI or bladder infection so i am going to go see my family doctor this Tuesday. I was reading something about Strep B bacteria....does this have anything to do with a UTI or bladder infection. When i go to the bathroom there is a strong odour but i was told that it was from the UTI...my baby used to move before when i played music but now nothing. My OB said that everything looked ok but i am so worried, scared and confused.
Does anyone know anything about this?
I posted a question on here before a little similiar...SOMEONE PLEASE HELP
I have Strep B and it hasn't caused any difference however it could cause yeast infections but I haven't heard of them causing a UTI. I wouldn't have even known I had except when I got tested and it came up positive. Usually they don't test for it until the end of pregnancy (36 weeks for me)... but you could try to get them to test early. I'm sure everything is fine with your baby you honestly need to just calm down. If you haven't felt it move in 3 days then go to L&D where they can monitor the baby and make sure everything is okay. Some babies aren't as active as others and I'm sure if your doctor thinks your fine than you probably are. I hope this helps some.
I was ready that Strep B can harm your baby? How is it tested? Through blood or urine? Like i went to L&D last monday and they listened to the HB and said that everything was ok, now since friday i haven't felt and kicks or anything...can i just be having a lazy baby? Like i feel some movement at night, but not really kicking....i know i'm not suppose to worry but i can't help it....i've never been like this before.
Some babies kick and some babies sort of roll and twist around. Your placenta could be lying in front of your body, abosorbing a lot of the movement as well (an ultrasound can tell you if that is part of the problem... if you've already had one, your doc can look at the pics and tell you where the placenta is).

Here's something you can do. Drink a glass of ice water, eat something (like fruit, granola bar, etc.) and lie down on your side. The water and the food and lack of swaying movement (your walking cradles the baby to sleep most of the time) will wake baby up. You should count ten or more movements in an hour. If you feel less than that, you need to go to the ER.

If your baby is fine, you should feel more than ten movements (generally they'll start moving around so much you can't even count, which is good). The movements can range in how they feel. It might be a little push here, a jab or kick there, a full body roll, a stretch. It doesn't have to be a strong jab or kick. ANY movement counts. No matter how little.

Please let me know if everything turns out okay.
Strep B can be passed to the baby if you have a vaginal delivery... when they test you for strep b and if you come up positive when you go into labor in your IV they'll give you medicine to combat the bacteria so that they baby won't be harmed. However, if you deliver and you don't get the medicine it could cause the baby to get pneumonia or something along those lines. They test by swapping your vaginal area and your rectal area and then sending the results to the lab to be tested. You usually find out the results a couple days after that.

Its very possible to have a lazy baby... mine was extremely lazy when I wasn't as far along. The only reason I feel her so well now is because she is so big that if she even tries to roll over you feel it. Most likely your baby is going through a growth cycle and just needs the time to rest since its a lot of hard work on their little bodies. I know that when I was around 26 weeks (all the way until like 35 weeks) the only real time I would feel my baby move was at night and I'm talking late night like starting at 11pm. As long as you feel something when its normal active time is then the baby should be fine. But don't worry about bugging the L&D nurses since its their job to put you at ease so if your insurance covers it go in there as much as you need! Pregnancy is a scary stressful time for everyone probably since we can physically see that the baby is okay and have to rely only on feelings. Most of the time when you get further along though you wont feel "kicking" you feel the waves and wiggles. I hope this helps some. I honestly think you should just invest in a doppler. Its saved me a lot of trips to L&D when I've been worried.
try what njeosys suggested by doing the fetal kick count...if after about 15 minutes of laying still you don't feel anything....you could perhaps switch to the other side...also if you take your hands and GENTLY push your belly one way and then the other, it may help to arouse the baby.

I was paranoid with my middle child for reasons i won't go into but if i didn't feel movements I would wake the baby up.  But on that note, you don't want the baby moving TOO much....as that can lead to the cord getting wrapped....if your last u/s was Monday and you haven't felt anything since friday, perhaps a trip to the L & D to get monitored may calm your nerves....ask them to do a Non-stress test.