Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Screaming?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Screaming?

Okay so this is probably really dumb, but if you scream or cry or whatever during labor will the nurses doctor get mad or what? LOL I'm a wuss for pain and can only imagine me like screaming my head off.
You can scream and shout as much as you want, you may find it helps to push, I know it helped me.
i would hope they dont get mad at you! if they do you can tell them where to go ;) lol i know some try to get you to keep your breath in and focus your energy on pushing cause if your screaming your letting your breath out early but like the prev post said you may find it helps you push better... but i dont think at the time you will care what the nurses or anyone else is really saying... its pretty intense!
When i was screaming a lil during labor the nurse told me not too cus i need it to b calm for the baby..but i really didnt listen 9centi and i was in pain till i got my epidural
No it is natual to want to scream. If they do they don't need to be there.
I'll be delivering in a military hospital so I feel like I should be calm or whatever but this is also my first child.
They may try to help you not to screaming to calm you down and help you through labor, but they shouldn't get mad.
I delivered my 3rd child in a military hospital in Okinawa, Japan - I had her natural - no pain meds.  I screamed my fool head off complete with yelling "GET IT OUT" repeatedly.  The nurses just joked with me afterwards about how I could be heard in the waiting room and that they could only imagine what the other laboring women were thinking LOL.  I wouldn't worry about it - chances are, no matter how loud and obnoxious you are during labor - they have seen and heard worse.
They will talk about what a big baby you are to each other but not to you. Most women don't scream, there's no need to and its not productive in any way. When I was in with my first there was a woman having her fourth baby and she was screaming and the nurses made fun of her after I commented and they said it was ridiculous. I suggested they stuff a sock in her mouth because she was annoying me while I was trying to concentrate on breathing and relaxing. I didn't scream at all during Labor and I had him natural, and he was a good size baby. I ended up getting stuck sharing a room with the woman and all she did was cry and moan and beg for drugs, I was trying to sleep. I told her to shut up and man up. Sorry if I'm being blunt, but its the truth, and from what I gathered from the nurses most women don't scream and the ones who do disturb the other women, are bothersome, and scare the first time moms. I dealt with my pain with the techniques taught in lamaze classes and did fine. Its not as bad as TV and drama queens make it. My back spasms hurt more LOL.
Yes, some women are able to remain calm and focused - that's great.  Others actually find being vocal to be more relieving for them.  Some nurses may run their mouths, but if they are any kind of a decent nurse they will only talk amongst themselve and NOT to other patients about you.  It's unethical and unprofessional for hospital staff to run their mouths about a patient with another patient or anyone else who doesn't have access to the persons medical information.  
Im sure they half expect it from everyone but myy sister started screaming and her dr said that it was just extra energy she was putting out and that she should put that energy into pushing. But Im sure they wont get mad.
I had my first at a military hospital, I screamed my a$$ off! Productive or not you can't control it it's painful! Child birth is painful and there's no oh your being a baby. I'm pushing a watermelon through a key hole damn it ! The nurse tried to tell me something about scaring the other women went off on her! Cursing and all! Idc it was a military hospital I'm having my va jay jay ripped
open by a big headed child n she is a person like n e one else there for she can go to hell like everyone else! My second daughter I didn't have at a military hospital and I had whatever drugs they could give me including an epidural and I didn't yell, curse or anything the experience was a lot more pleasant and I'm going to have my third child there and I am so hopeful for the same experience! I'd hope the nurses don't talk trash but Idc if they do as long as I don't hear about it!
I agree. I could care less if im bothering anyone else. Everyone has different pain tolerance levels, not to mention different birthing circumstances, so to say man up is, im sorry, just dumb. I know im gonna do whatever I need to to get through it. You do whatever you need to do you're the one giving birth.
I want lots of pain meds LOL
Me too! Im not super woman, not trying to be. =D
I want all the pain meds I can get! Two epidurals and a bottle of whiskey lol
Anyone can remain calm and focused, you just have to try. Its a lot better than screaming and freaking out, it keeps you calmer, once you start panicking its harder to get calm. If you let yourself get upset and freak out all your doing is making yourself hurt more, it aggravates your nerves or something and makes them more sensitive to pain. Kind of like when a kid gets hurt, they're fine until you point out the blood LOL.
Oh heck no... I gave birth last Friday and after 35 hours of unmedicated labor you bet I was screaming.. And cursing.. And howling.. LOL
Btw Brandy you should read my labor story on my journal then try to tell me I'm a wuss for vocalizing... I'd be amused.  I joked through my first two babies deliveries even without working epidural but with the baby I just had, my uterus collapsed into my pelvic bone shortly before pushing so I had to labor down for an hour with resisting that urge to push AND the doctor had to reach in my bum and push my birthing canal upward or he would have torn my uterus, cervix,  and vagina coming out. And I felt every second.  So yeah.. I screamed ;-)
Goodness Ashelen!!!! I'm so sorry!!
Just because a person is vocalizing their pain does not mean their are freaking out and panicing. I was extremely focused and by no means panicing I just found that vocalizing as I pushed helped me.  

I have to ask -  how many kids have you had? What kind of births were they?
Looloo no worries!  Even through all the pain I was in control and look back with a smile because it was such an incredible accomplishment... Just wait,  you'll find labor enjoyable in an odd way and pain is just part of it :)
I don't think a single person on the face of the planet can disagree with what I'm about to say. First before my comment on screaming, I had an epidural with my daughter. The first sixteen hours were unmedicated and I didn't scream. My epidural only worked on half of my body, and I was able to concentrate enough to work through the back labor I felt on the left half, and when it came time to push, I honestly did not feel the contractions throuh the pushing. That being said....

EVERYONE is different, and the level of pain we all can handle is a person by person basis. I for one have a very high tolerance to pain, and even so plan on the next time I get pregnant going the whole way without an epidural, and can not promise any "neighbor" in the hospital that they will not hear me. Every labor is different. Some women make sounds, some women don't. Whether or not you do make a sound during labor does not make you any better or worse than anyone else. As anyone who has been through labor knows, it is painful and however you cope with it is dependant on yourself. I have seen doulas TELLING women to make a certain sound to help them deal with the contractions. If any nurse makes fun of a patient who is in labor they should be reported, IMO, because it is rude, and uncalled for. If you feel the need to make noises and scream, do so. It's YOUR labor and YOUR delivery, and whatever makes you feel better during a contraction, go for it!
BTW start to finish, 22 hours of labor and 45 min of pushing.
My husband is a computer tech at the hospital here and when he is on the ob floor, there is always a gal yelling or screaming because of labor. It happens all the time. If it makes you feel better, then scream! This is about you and your baby, don't let anyone else bother you. And just remember you are not the first and you certainly won't be the last ;)
I didn't scream w my 1st but I was mean and moaning mostly. A girl laboring down the hall was screaming and I was scared for her cause it sounded horrible.  
Scream all you want. You are paying good money to deliver there ;)
I think I sounded like a cow mooing!! Your body will guide you and whether you scream or not is probably a natural reflex, especially with no pain relief!
LOL soren.. I remember howling,distinctly.
I agree with LosingMyMindInGA, nurses should keept their traps shut. If they think you're being a baby and are making fun of you, you have the complete right to tell them to.leave. Now if they're trying to encourage you to stay calm and breath then awesome! You can choose to listen, not listen, or to try to listen. Its your body only you know the pain no one else, pain is different for everyone. Brandy1234, oh I am so glad you're such a strong woman.... yeah you don't have to be so rude. Ugh I can't stand people telling people that "This is how it is and if you do this you're a.wuss" get over yourself. I'm sorry if *I'm* being blunt but d@mn really?
It's wonderful that some women can have uncomplicated, storybook births but reality is that this doesn't often happen. You're in labour, very few women are 'dramaqueens' and vocalization does not mean you're a wuss, and doesn't mean you're being stupid. Quite frankly if I had a shared room and was told to man up I'd punch my roommate in the face.

With my daughter I went through 30+ hours of back labour and contractions coming one on top of another. (roughly 1-3 minutes apart lasting 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes) When I went to the hospital I was screaming and vocalizing the whole damn time, and know for a fact I scared every women in the triage room - quite frankly I don't give a damn. When it finally came to pushing my daughter out she was face up and turned to the right, so it wasn't just a few simple pushes and we were done - it was an hour of straining, pushing and changing positions to see what worked best.

We are not all the same and it is different for each and every person. If you can stay quite the entire time kudos to you. If you're screaming and yelling, kudos to you all the same. Just vocalizing doesn't mean you're freaking out, it means it hurts and it is your way of coping. I pretty confident that women have been vocalizing during childbirth since the dawn of time, and will continue to do so for an equal amount of time.
Lol i had to laugh, if you need to scream do it everyone is diff and if you did think a midwife was making jokes i would conplain and tell her she is in the wrong career!! everyones experiances are different goodluck when the time comes x x
Well I didn't scream or swear or even make a sound with either of my past two labours. But I felt that helped me more than screaming. Lol. But that'd just how I did it. It actually scared the nurses. They thought I was in shock or something. Lol. I just ate my food(they fed me cause I didn't look like I was in much pain). Finished my jello in the shower then got back in bed and started pushing. 3 minutes later I had a 10 pound baby boy. Labour is different for everyone whether u scream or not having a baby is hard work and however u handle pain isn't even up to u. Lol. Its up to ur body, its gonna do what it needs to.