Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Side sleeping...Hips hurt sooo bad! Suggestions PLEASE!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hello Ladies!  I am 27w and I have been faithfully sleeping on my side although in the last couple weeks, I toss and turn from side to side and often wake on my back because my hips ache sooooooo much!  I've read that it is due to the added stress/pressure the hips have to take with the weight of baby and growing uterus etc. BUT last night, I literally woke almost every hour because I was in such discomfort and then rolled to the other side, only to wake up and roll over an hour later!  It used to happen less frequently and I dealt with it but now I hurt and can't sleep!

Any suggestions!!!!  Last night I actually gave in to sleeping on my back for like an hour just so my hips didn't ache and I could sleep!  But I know this isn't a permanent solution because I can't sleep on my back because it isn't good for baby or me...
Have you tried putting a pillow between your legs?  Sometimes that worked for me.  Other times I would try to roll over on my side far enough (kinda on my tummy) so that I could spread my legs apart (no knees together ...that seemed to aggravate the hip pain).

I hope you can find a spot that you can be comfy in!  I know how bothersome it is to toss and turn and wake up every hour.  But it comes in handy once your baby's here!  'Cause you'll be waking up every couple hours for a different reason!  =D
I dont know...I have the same problem so I dont know what I can tell you but have you tried a body pillow or putting pillows under your hips? That may help I am not a side sleeper so it is getting harder and harder for me to do so.
get the SNOOGLE! a very pricey but effective pillow for pregnancy. it supports your legs, hips, belly, etc...
I've always had hip problems, so they were exceptionally bad during pregnancy. the snoogle made sleeping much more comfortable.
They always say sleep on ur sides, but with my DD i always ended up on my back. My doc (high risk doctor)  told me if being on my back was doing something bad, like cutting off circulation i'd wake up. So i stopped worrying.
i always sleepon my back, i just cant sleep on my side!
A pillow between my legs was a must - I can't remember at what point in my pregnancy I started using one but now my son is 6 months and I'm still using it.  Also - you could try proping one hip- put a pillow under one side so you're not totally on your back and there's not a ton of pressure on that one hip.  Doing that from time to time really helped me get through some nights!  Good luck!
I have no idea, I'm a back sleeper and I always end on my back, fortunately I wake up every hour and a half to pee so I'm not laying on my back too long.
Try pillow under your side and one in between your legs...
try a body pillow , it helps and put on ur mattress a foaming padding comforter..not sure how to call those..i went to "bed,bath and beyond"...and i bought what looks like a comforter...but thick and i slept kindda better good...but u will start feeling uncomfortable as the weeks progress...the last few weeks r the worst...just hang in there.,,it gets better!
p.s. i suffered with sleeping on my side sooo much while preggo ..i was in pain , shoulder, hips ..everything...my baby was big too!

im recuperating..!!

hope this helped
I'm 37 weeks, and I have the same problem. It has gotten worse gradually, and there isn't anything you can do about it as far as I know. I use a body pillow, and it is useless in that area. I have to turn over every hour or so to relieve one hip or the other. What makes it worse is that if I wake up to turn over, of COURSE I have to pee. So I'm up non-stop peeing, even if it's just the tiniest bit. I can't stand trying to sleep when I KNOW I have to pee. The only other thing I can suggest is that you get up and do a few stretches or squat down a few times. I do this, as well as walk around for a few minutes and the pain doesn't come back quite as soon as if I simply turn over.

I know my comment is worthless as far as helping you...but I guess I just needed to vent since I see that someone else is having the same issue! :-)
The best position to sleep is on your side so try to put a nice comfy pillow in between your legs to take some strain off your hips.  That worked for me! Good luck!
like tiredbuthappy said i suggest a snoogel!! well worth the money, i would never get any sleep without it. i got mine from babiesrus.you can also try a pregnancy wedge pillow which goes under your belly when you sleep on your side, my sister swore by that! good luck!
I have a pregnancy pillow.  ( I got mine off craigslist.com for 15$)  You can put a plush pillow between your legs too.  This works for me.  Anita
put a pillow under one hip so it kinda props you on on side a little bit, and sleep on you back. the pillow will help you from being flat on your back whih is the main concern.
also if you want to be more on your side put one pillow between your thighs and one between you calves. (and one behind your back and one for your stomach...i literlly have 5 pillows around me to get comfy)
Update:  I put a pillow between my legs, and a pillow behind my back, so even if I did roll, I was only 3/4s rolled.  I slept much better (not great but I noticed a difference)  I think I'll keep with this and think about the snuggie/pregnancy pillow.  I have a feeling pillows are going to be my new friends!
i forgot to add to make sure the pillow between the legs is a firm thicker pillow it gives your legs and therefore your hips more support. i am on hospitalized bedrest so i have a lot of pain from being in bed all the time
i had the same problem so we put a foam matress ontop and i slept with a pillow between my legs, it made a lot of difference as i sunk into the foam matress. poor dh had only a little bit of the bed until ds was born
All I can say is BODY PILLOW!

I bought an awesome one at Costco for $12 and I don't know how I lasted 24 weeks without it!
I didn't read all of the responses but I agree w/ Griggsy!  Body pillow all the way!!!  They are great when you are pregnant.....Heck they are great when you're not......