Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Smoking Pot while Pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Smoking Pot while Pregnant

I know none of you are Doctors and this is a touchy subject, but looking for your opinions on smoking pot while pregnant.

Do you think having a puff here and there is alright?  

If you have nothing but rude remarks, please keep them to yourself.

Thanks!
I don't honestly know if it's harmful or not.  But personally, I don't want to do anything to put my baby at risk.  I avoid everything that I think has the potential to harm my baby.  But it took me 6 years to get pregnant, so I am really protective of this pregnancy.  Anyway, I guess my opinion is I wouldn't want to risk it.
I personally haven't done it since I found out I was pregnant with my 14 yr old, but my sister-in-law did smoke while pregnant and they have two of the smartest kids. Not saying that the smoking contributed, but doesn't seem to have harmed them. By no means and I promoting it, but this is the only expereince I've had with smoking pot and pregnancy. You might do some research and get a medical opinion.
Smoking pot can cause birth defects in your baby. Taking any illegal substance can! Also, you're going to want to set a good example for your child.

Think of it this way... would you hand your baby a joint or give them a bottle of alcohol? Any time you inhale or eat something it gets passed through the placenta to your baby.

Make a wise choice! Smoking pot or using any drugs/cigs/alcohol could harm you or your baby. ;-)
Like wantingbabies said. I wouldnt want to do anything that would hard my baby. I mean if I did do something like that(and Im NOT) ANd if somthing happened to the baby how could you for give yourself......
i myself smoke pot, and have for a few years now, as soon as i found out i was pregnant, the morning sickness literally hit me as i looked at the preg test, and got so bad , but i didnt smoke until i went to the doc, i asked her straight out , then again with anther two docs at my next to apts. and all three told me that there have been studies done on pregnant women and pot, and of all the studies, none have shown to cause any birth defects or abnormalities, the only thing that has 'ever' been found was sometimes you can have a smaller birthweight, but as long as you carry to term your good. when i found that out i went home and smoked a bit with my guy and it did a world of onders for my morning sickness...like it helped sooo much, and it encourages you to eat more, just when you get the munchies turn your cravings t fruits and veggies, it is great, up until now i have smoked and my docs are aware of it, they told me at first that is i was a regular user to actually not stop but cut down if i could stop then good, but if not dont stress you and little one, just cut down, so if your not a regular user i would say take a puff when you feel nauseus and you will feel alot better, but thats just what all my different docs told me and im in canada, i know most of the people on here are in the states.
You do realize melanie594 that they could be using you as a sort of "case study" and recording everything you're going through without telling you, then submitting it to a panel of OBGYNS and their organizations... Just a thought!
Okay, here is some info I found:

First of all, smoking anything during pregnancy deprives the fetus of oxygen. Just as smoking tobacco is discouraged in pregnant women, so is smoking marijuana. Smoking any type of substance interferes with the fetus's blood supply. This can mean the fetus doesn't get enough oxygen, and s/he may be born smaller in both weight and length.

Smaller babies have a higher risk of other problems after birth, such as infections, severe jaundice, difficulty feeding, breathing problems, low blood sugar, difficulty regulating temperature, bleeding into the brain, and problems with vision.

Thank you for everyones opionions.  Thanks to Melaine594.  I too live in Canada.  
Personally I wouldn't do it...I don't think there have been enough CONTROLLED studies to say with certainty whether or not marijuana causes birth defects.  Aside from that, becuase marijuana is an illegal substance, unless you grow it yourself, you don't know where it came from...who knows what it's been laced with.  
Thank you for your research JoyRenee
You're welcome!
going to nursing school myself and studying in the maturnity course, i had to do a paper on just this!!! it causes birth defects, and it was prooven, i wish i oculd find the articles that i used to write the paper hun, but its somewhere off of my colleges website using their library, but now that im writting this, im going to check my computer for the bibliography to see if i can find the article, only if i saved it to the computer. honestly, i wouldnt smoke while being pregnant, i cant tell you what to do because i dont smoke pot to begin with, but i do smoke cigarettes, and i am going to quit as soon as i find out im preggo, but in a weird way i guess you can say i know what its like with the cravings and having to quit suddenly because i had to when i found out the last time i was preggo, but i had a m/c, so needless to say i started to smoke cigs alot more after that happened from the stress i went through., but seriously, just think about it before u decide anything., it could be harmful for the babies lungs while their still trying to develop, you know?? but its all up to you, nicole
I'm not encourging this, but I've been researching this since my post 41 minutes ago. Nothing compared to years of study ofcourse...I found no studies done on humans, only labratory experiments on animals. I'm not "pro" smoking, just feeling my brain with as much knowlege as I can...I find it interesting that I found no actual links to "human" birth deffects, only speculations. Personally, I wouldn't smoke anything while pregnant...If anyone knows of an actual study done on humans, I would love to read about it.
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA262120

I just plain would not do it! Why risk it?  Just what I think.
I don't mean to be rude- but why would you do ANYTHING that could even have the slighteset chance of putting your unborn child at risk.. In my opinion.... very irresponsible.

Good luck!
i dont sit on the computer all day reading up on what random companies may post, because your gonna get 50 billion different opinions about it anyway, i go by what my doctors are telling me, and if they are actually saying they dont encourae it but it wont do serious harm, then im gonna listen to them. and have been, i have kept up with all my pats, and actually just got back from one this morning, and if all my u/s keep showing up normal, they say baby is a good weight and size, already head down and ready to join us in a few weeks, then i see everything as ok. if my doctors 'tell' me it does NOT cause birth defects then im gonna listen to them as well, cause te internet is gonna tell you yes it does, then 40 other sites say it doesnt, and thats where alot of the people on here get info from, random sites that , since they read it often, they must be right...and yeah marijuana is an illegal substance, but keep in mind it is also one of mother natures weeds, is one of the only drugs out there that can grow in the wild without mans help to alter or feed it in an way, just like other herbs we use give us different reactions(like teas). and im not here to tell everyone they are wrong just cause i smoke as well, but i think that as long as everything is monitered closely(which i have been by choice) and you know where your herb is coming from(like home grown, or not coming from timbucktoo then i dont see how it can be all that bad if the doctors are saying its not going to hurt the baby providing i had to cut down and they said they were aware alot of people use it as an anti nauseant. they dont recommend it by no means... but they knew i was a regular user(cause i told them) and they said the first three months are the most important, if you cant stop then cut down, which i did. and thats 'my' story/opinion.
i would not smoke anything during the pregnancy and definitely not a illegal drug.  I am a social worker and have had to remove several babies or put services in the home due to babies being born under the influence.  Although your doctor may know you are using if your child is born with drugs in him or her system they are mandated to call in a report.  Just because the child may be born ok does not mean there wont be any effects that show up later.  I cant quote any studies and dont care to. Smoking while pregnant just isnt a smart or healthy thing to do when it comes to the health of a baby.
I am a research scientist and have access to all medical journals online. Just so you know, it can cause harm to an unborn child. Since I can't post the entire articles for you I will post just a few of the titles that should explain it all.

Discrete opioid gene expression impairment in the human fetal brain associated with maternal marijuana use.

Marijuana impairs growth in mid-gestation fetuses

Prenatal exposure to a cannabinoid agonist produces memory deficits linked to dysfunction in hippocampal long-term potentiation and glutamate release.

A history of induced abortion in relation to substance use during subsequent pregnancies carried to term.

Frequencies of hprt mutant lymphocytes in marijuana-smoking mothers and their newborns

So there you have it... you can make your own choices but I thinks it shouldn't even be a question. And to loismwallace: the reason you don't find any studies done on humans is because it would be unethical and against the law to conduct a study asking pregnant women to smoke pot just to "see what happens." We researchers rely on animals whom are closely related to us as well as those that aren't to draw these conclusions and conduct these studies. Just in my research alone, I use monkeys infected with Simian HIV (SHIV). I couldn't conduct a study knowingly infecting humans with HIV. I would lost all my grant money and my job.
I SMOKED HEAVILY BEFORE I GOT PREGNANT THE FIRST TIME. I STOPPED SMOKING AS SOON AS I GOT THE + TEST. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD NOT WANT TO PUT ANYTHING INTO MY BODY THAT MAY HARM MY BABY..... SURELY YOU CAN WAIT JUST  A FEW MONTHS TO SMOKE AGAIN. YOUR BABY DESERVES A HEALTHY START....... DONT DEPRIVE HIM/HER OF THAT!
if you are 100% sure it wouldn't cause any problems you would not have asked this question and if you are even a little unsure you should not use.  There is so much that science has not discovered yet.  It could or could not be dangerous but if there is even the slightest risk it could harm your child then why do it...the only reson someone would be willing to risk harming their child by using pot is if they are addicted to it....and if you are willing to hurt your child to get your fix you should look into getting some help for yourself.
Shannon125:
Smoking pot is "not" illegal in all countries so I am just surprised there has not been a study on humans, or atleast that I can find. I am NOT a smoker, but just curious as to the effects on the human fetus. Just like some of the posts suggest they smoked and had normal pregnancies and children.

If anyone else has a link to a "human" study, I would really like to read it. I like knowing both sides of everything.
rachie204.  I've never said I am 100% sure about anything as obvisioly NOONE is! Hence why I asked the question.

Everyone has their own opinions on this topic and noone should be judged!!!!!

It was just a question...no need to imply that i'm an addict or would intenaonlly hurt my child.

I tried to give you the links to the full articles but my PubMed account is password protected and unless I give you my password you can't read full articles. I have however provided links to the Abstracts of some of these studies. Hope this helps.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16477274?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15734273?ordinalpos=4&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9726006?ordinalpos=11&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
Thanks Shannon125!
Thanks Shannon125...I'm going to check them out now...I just want to make myself better educated on the subject, so I can give honest answers and advise. So many lives have been sacraficed in the name of sceince, it just surprises me I can't find a study on humans.
I kinda ment the respone in general terms...didn't really mean to target towards any one person....sorry if it sounded that way. Been cleaning up throw up from my 3year old all day and didnt really take my time to word that response better.  I'm not judging you I promise.  I really don't think anyone should risk it though as there is no telling the effects it could possible have in the future.  Best of luck.
Whooaa, lots of replies, I only read melanie's, and personally.. Everything i have tried to find on the subject, is basically inconclusive. no real concrete data. a friend of mine who is now 7 months pregnant, smokes pot, i don't know how regularly.. but she does and so far everything is FINE. But I am also absolutely sure that if you smoke heavily during your pregnancy, there could be negative consequences way farther along in the child's life that you may not even associate with the pot smoking during gestation.. So just be careful. I'm sure every once in a while is not too harmful.
Okay I took the time to read them all. And I want to add that, while marijuana is "illegal" it is not really much worse than actual drugs that have been created by humans. The drugs that we take, sometimes as medicine to get rid of infections, antibiodics, ETC. are very likely to have effects that have never been studied, or discovered. the human mind, and scientific study, can only get someone so far. Marijuana was made by the earth, and illegalized in most countries, by man. And there is actually an interesting economical reason for why it was actually illegalized, that I won't get into, as I am not 100% sure on the complete facts, but i know the jist of it. it isn't as harmful as people seem to think. I know women who simply can't .. or well, don't, quit smoking cigarettes throughout their pregnancies and go on to have normal healthy babies, birth-weight and all. Althought I don't agree with it, it happens, QUITE often. And much more often back many, many years ago, before they had discovered that the effects of cigarettes were even harmful to the body. just as cocaine used to actually be prescribed and sold all around the world to "cure" all sorts of things, decades ago. you think pregnant women had not recieved that in the past as well? .. although yes, cocaine has it's CLEAR-CUT effects.. because it truly is a harmful, "illegal-drug" not just an "illegal herb" like marijuana, OR "legal-drug" like cigarettes. Just because cigarettes are legal, does not mean they are any better by NO means. because they are filled with chemicals and poisons and toxins, but still, are legal. and women around the world smoke them and have healthy babies. where as marijuana, is just a pure herb. [if you of course know where it's coming from] My point here, is that just because it's illegal, doesn't mean it is something deadly. There are differences. Yes, it is taking a risk.. Which most pregnant women who cared about their babies would do most anything to avoid[not targetting you to say you do not care about your baby's well-being], it does not mean it's going to do any actual harm.. just because there is possibility of it, because of the unknown. but it doesn't mean it is completely safe either. [like when cocaine was in the grey area of the "unknown" when it came to effects, and now humans are smarter, and understand this] That is just my own, personal opinion.
i have a 5 week old and i smoked ciggerettes and i did smoke weed here and there not alot maybe a couple puffs a month while iw as pregnant but i did smoke it a couple times during my pregnancy and my boy came out fine and veary healthy 8 pounds .. and i know a couple friends that did smoke weed while pregnant more then once a month and there kids came out healthy nothing wrong either.. but everyone is different just because sum1 has done it and tehre kids came out fine doesnt mean that urs will .. like i smoked my pregnancy if i had another kid i wouldnt smoke ciggerettes my next time around ..evan though my kid came out a healthy beautiful boy .. doesnt mean that it wont harm my next .. like i said every person body and pregnancy is different .. so it is really up 2 you im not gonna tell you not to do it n im not gonna tell you 2..
I used to party a lot, but stopped about 5 years ago. I was afraid of what all of it would start to do to me...I would not do it to myself anymore, let alone my unborn baby...doesn't weed cause depression and make underlying mental illness worse for some people....I wouldn't want to risk it. These are just my feelings.
Another thing I'd like to add, is that whole "just because it was okay once doesn't mean it will be okay the next time" no offense, but isn't it that way with EVERY pregnancy? every single time a woman gets pregnant [smoking, or NOT smoking] she faces the risk of birth deffects, health problems, low birth-weight, etc. etc. all touchy subjects, but these things happen. It does not mean that it is caused by something a woman is doing. And I think blame is the last thing someone wants to have on their shoulders, or PUT on another woman's shoulders. Although it happens more often-times than not.. I think a woman who smoked pot on occasion, is JUST as likely to have a baby with something wrong as anyone else in the world. But that is my opinion. Just as you have yours.. Of course, I don't know this 100% for sure, but neither do you know 100% for sure that it is otherwise. So you should let people do what they feel is acceptable, especially if monitored and okay'ed by doctors, without JUDGING them, first.
Personally I think its selfish. I quit smoking cigarettes when i foud out I was carrying "life". If you need something to calm down or to help you cope, then talk to friends or just get relaxationcds, it helped me. Drugs are only temporary anyways and are harmful, heavily smoked or not. Weird subject but look at all the responses you are getting.
I saw a commercial once (for smoking cigarettes while pregnant) and it was something like a baby smoking a cigarette while inside the mom.  It didn't show for very long.  Probably because it was pretty graphic and disturbing to watch.  Anyway, that's what I think of.  I wouldn't hand my baby a cigarette or a joint or a beer.  In my mind, it would be like getting your baby high.  I mean surely the baby would feel the effects of the pot.  What KStar said is right....There are risks during pregnancy no matter what you do or don't do.  But there are things that a woman can do to put her or her baby more at risk.  And there are measures you can take to put you and your baby at less of a risk.  Like the label on the cigarettes talking about what CAN happen if you smoke while pregnant....doesn't mean it WILL happen.  It just means that it CAN.  So, in the end, you just have to do what you feel is right.  I personally would not do it.
it definetly doesnt improve anything! dont do it!
im not a doctor but i did have to do research for one of my classes on pregnancy. it is proven that any kind of substance (alcohol, smoke, and drug, etc.) that crosses the placenta could harm your fetus.it could cause soo many birth defects pre-term labor and even worse, death. im not trying to scare you but if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant you shouldnt do anything that can harm you because it is surely going to harm your baby.so be careful.most doctors advise you not to even be around toxins at all including pot and things of that sort.so Just dont do it sweetie.best of luck
I have heard about some women being told to smoke some marijuana to get them to eat during the first few months of pregnancy because of morning sickness...
I smoked pot while I was pregnant and I ended up having a miscarriage, but then again, It took me 6 months of trying to get pregnant and it WAS my first pregnancy. They say that it is very common to miscarry on the first pregnancy, but who really knows. I do know that I quit smoking pot and I will not smoke pot if I ever get pregnant again, but that's just because I felt very guilty and ashamed after my miscarriage and thought it was my fault and it killed me. I would never want to endure that physical and emotional trauma ever again.
Ok as my OB put it to me this way the other day... The first 12 week's of pregnancy are the most crucial to your baby because everything is developing.. Once you hit 13-14 weeks and on the baby is done developing and just growing and getting bigger.. Not that I am condoning this behavior because I am having issues with weather or not to take my bi polar drugs or not.. But if your going to smoke pot then wait until your past 12 weeks.......
I am not recommending smoking pot while pregnant but I like to look at things objectively.  Personally, I wouldnt do it.

With that said,  I have heard it increases the risk of still birth, early miscarriage, low birth rate and can cause hyperactivity, ashama, and like a chronic sucking problem in infants.    But once again, there is conflicting data that shows no effect.

My friend was a regular user (3 times a time ifn ot more).  She quit when she first found out she was pregnant at 5weeks.  She started up a month later because she couldnt eat due to morning sickness.. and then she could cope and eat.  She cut back at first but I would say after a month or so, she was back to 3 times a day..  Her baby was born a perfect weight and has been developing flawlessly thus far.  He is still only 5 months so there is a number of things that could show up but there would be no way to llink it to pot.  

I do not support it.  I went through a phase of thinking of calling Child welfare on her but the baby is well taken care of and I do not feel he is at risk. Her doctor is also aware. Would child welfare get involved if i called.... yes probably (at least they would do an investigating and they would be in the "system").... would they apprehend the child if there was no other protection concerns.... probably noo....  I have worked at a child welfare agency and there are alot of cases where children remain in the home and evenually are not involved with Child welfare even with smoking pot still going on because substance use does not necessary mean the child is at risk in all cases..  i am not an expert and every case is different and yes it could result in someone losing their child permenantly.

With that said, I would never do anything that would put my child at risk while pregnant.  You can be reported for smoking pot or using substances..  and Once Child welfare is invovled, there is no way to tell how it will go.  After seeing women lose their children for a lot less, you dont want to be that person.  Its devastating..  Worst than a miscarriage.  Its important to remember that child welfare workers are just humans making judgements on how imminent and serious the risk of behavior is and everyone's personal opinions, beliefs, thoughts play a part in that role.  Even judges in the child welfare cases are influenced by personal factors even when we try to stay objective.

Even if you didnt lose your child, would you want a child welfare working breathing down your next, judging your every word or action, telling you how to raise your child.... telling you what is right and wrong.

i am 4 or 5 month pregnant. i have two other girls. i smoked pot when i was pregnant with my two girls. i didn't smoke every hour. more like 2 or 3 puffs a day or every other day. just to ease the nausia and the wicked back pain. naturally i used it for medical purposes. i believe it's the safest method for pain. i do not use a dispise agianst pharmicudicle products. i know where i get my smoke and help harvest it. my oldest is a very smart child and the secing is right behind her. both girls weighed over 9 pounds. i think it is okay to smoke a little pot while pregnant. it's not like you going to get stoned all day a forget about daily responsibilities. the stigma some people have about pot is some times rediculus. like smoking pot compareing to ciggerettes or alcohol is incoherrrent. cigs and alcohol are man made. i feel it does more good than harm. momma of the earth... use wisley like with any herb or medicine.
If you think of calling cps on a friend that person is really not a friend.if you cant trust her judgment maybe you should dismiss yourself from the "friendship"
I don't see why you would want to do somethinq that puts your baby at any kind of risk. Not tryinq to sound rude but I don't know who in their riqht mind does that childish stuff. That's my personal opionon and evey1 thinks differently .
If you do your research, who am I to tell yu that it is wrong. They do say that it can cause harm to your baby. I saw that it even helps ease nausea, made me want to take a quick puff because it is from the Earth, but hell, Earth has plants that will kill you instantly. Just do your research when you plan on talking about how things are from the Earth and natural and good for you compared toman made things. Without some of the Earth substances or man made substances where would we all be??? I just know that I want to be the one who cares about what I intake because this is no longer my body once I am pregnant. Doctors do not know everything, that is why you are capable of suing them for wrongful death and problems due to their neglect. Hope all is well wih your child though!!
my friends sister smoked so she asked her doctor if it was okay, and he told her it will cut your babies oxygen off for a few seconds. so i wouldn't do it.
there is a human study out there. the jamaican study. i forgot the drs name who conducted it. its peer reviewed and follows kids over the course of a year or so. the dr cant get funding to complete it to adulthood. look that up before you judge. im not sure why marijuana has such a bad rap. its just another substance. they still use opiate based painkillers in hospitals. im not promoting drug use during pregnancy the thing is that every pregnancy is different and some are much harder for some women than others. a pain reliever they used in the 80s turned out to cause severe brain damage and retardation in babies. the drug was useful in other situations but they just didnt know enough about it. it ended up getting banned and cant be used for anything now. i am currently pregnant and opt to avoid any type of drug. including caffeine alcohol etcetera.but for a woman who is having a harder time im not about to pass judgment. i personally would trust clean grown marijuana that has been around for 5000 years...
Im sorry my post double posted! i am not sure how to delete it.
They don't have to release your name or private information to conduct a study. It's simple enough to just say a pregnant female X amount of months/weeks pregnant had this happen, etc etc.

As for trusting something that has been around for thousands of years.....there are many "natural" things on this planet that have been around for much longer that will kill you on ingestion. Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's safe, and miserable or not does not justify doing it. As the others said. Would you give your baby this to smoke because they don't feel good? Hell no. Why would you do it when you're pregnant then.
One last thing for now promise! smoking anything isnt good so if you do need it for a treatment use a vaporizer or make some special brownies. pregnancy is not the time to be using anything recreational.
Im not basing my research on that it is natural. there has been other research. i do have a college education in alt med. i do know what im saying. i have researched this topic extensively. it has been around long enough to have been studied it has been studied and i dont feel you read my post thourough. my point is that it is just another substance. and my whole point is talk to your dr and dont be afraid. people dont need to be paranoid that drs are out there lurking in the shadows giving you false advice. that goes against the hypocratic oath.
You wouldnt give your baby and adult dose of ibruprofin. does that mean we shouldnt take that while pregnant. that claim is rediculous. the only thing im aware of that actually affects a fetus directly is alcohol. if you are tipsy while pregnant then your baby is drunk. marijuana is simply another form of medication and should be treated as thus. also im am very against smoking cigs. while pregnant but the claim people are making that it is just as if a baby is smoking themselves is rediculous. people struggle. even heroin addicts can get reatmnet from a doc. they get advise froma doc and yes even those seeking treatment dont get their babies taken away. if you are a possible person to be included in a study even if they leave your name out there will be a disclaimer and you will have the chance to tell your doc you dont want your information used for such purposes. please dont contribute to paranoia. a doc cant just use information for a study even if your name isnt included. there will always be somenotice.
what i mean by directly is the chemical has the same or worse effect on the fetus as the mother. in the case of alcohol the amount the mother drinks directly will have the same or worse effect on the fetus. i dont agree with some drs saying one glass is ok. yes other things can effect and cross the plecentabut most not as strong as in the case of alcohol. methamphetamines i believe are similiar in that aspect. possibly heroin. marijuana is not comparable to those in any way!  
You AREN'T supposed to take Ibuprofen while pregnant. The only "safe" OTC drug is Tylenol and that is supposed to be used as limited as possible as well. Anything you take has the ability to affect the baby, not only alcohol. This is why women who have taken things like Vicodin their entire pregnancy have baby's that can (and are) born addicted and/or go through withdrawals at birth.

Anyone can argue this all day, it will never change opinions. I DID have a "rough" pregnancy. I was diagnosed with HG (Hyperemesis) and spent everyday the entire 9 months nauseated, vomiting and losing weight. I find it to be selfish to use a drug just so you feel better. Yes you don't know what to expect, but it's common knowledge you can expect to spend time vomiting, losing weight or just feeling sick. It's not supposed to feel good and if it does, you're one of the very lucky ones. If people want to do it with their doctors permission, that's cool and all but just because a baby is born seemingly healthy doesn't mean they won't have problems later and if they DO, could you ever forgive yourself just because you felt sick one day?
ok I didnt read every single reply on here but just so we are clear Im not exactly sure where your from in canada or anything like that but also being a canadian and living in canada and seeing canadian doctors I have NEVER been told that using any illegal substance is safe or ok to use while pregnant considering doctors try to make sure your not using any legal or illegal drugs while pregnant why would a doctor tell you its safe considering that if they can they try to take you off of medications some people such as myself actually need to have so again like others have said this can be argued ALL day and night but no doctor in their right mind would tell you that its ok to smoke pot while your pregnant
You are wrong about ibruprofin there is only a certain point at which you cant take ibruprofin. last week at my appoint my dr advised me to take ibruprofin or tylenol for my headaches. the point is to end paranoia. and your experience clysta isnt the only experience. believe it or not other women out there have a harder time than you did. just because you opted no treatment doesnt mean your way is the only right way. other women shouldnt be robbed of treatment because of one point of view.
im in an area that medical marijuana is legal. i would never recomend getting anything off the street. i think that is very irresponsible. i also think if your pregnancy was that hard it is irresponsible not to get treatment to be sure your baby gets the nutrients needed. im not talking about regular morning sickness. nor am i telling you marijuana is the only option. i gave birth naturally the first time. no drugs. i do know sacrifice. the second time i had to have muscle relaxers placed in my iv because my muscles were working against me. i still didnt have an epideral. but the reason im posting isnt for me. im posting because i believe in a womens right to shoose for herself when all facts are present and she speaks with her dr. without judgment being passed by people who believe they should chose for her.
MedHelp Terms of Use for the forums state that we need to get along (I'm paraphrasing here). Have a nice discussion, but don't bash one another please.

I must add that Ibuprofen is not considered safe while pregnant. Doctors recommend unsafe things to pregnant women all the time; it doesn't make them safe.  
This is going to be a heated forum im not trying to bash anyone. i have strong opinions and have spent a lot of time researching this topic. i have read loads and loads of every opinion and study about this topic. also ibruprofin is only proven unsafe in the third trimester. the rest of the studies are poorly conducted and have tons of data missing or left out. i know my dr. well and know that she would never recomend something unsafe. also joyrenee i k.ow you are theposter who posted that comment it really irritates me that people can be so judmental of others and make false claims. how is that getting along? Its not. im trying to offer tha facts that i have spent so much time gathering. you are entitled to your opinions. so am i. also laws are backing med mj more and more everyday. i completely agree the less you can do to harm your baby the better. pregnancy is controversial in itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WorIM0RhA
Well in michigan if your baby test positive for weed that is a child protective service case
In the united states. We pregnant women get drug tested at our dr appt.  And if u fail they send child protective services to the hospital when u deliver nd take ur child so no i wouldnt smoke anything.   And plus i think its selfish to put ur wants before ur babies needs
what does your common sense tell you?
Personally, I don't think there can ever be any definite conclusions about pot while pregnant, until there are studies done on humans. I have my own experiences from friends I've had who have smoked occasionally and heavily during pregnancy. Their babies are all healthy and normal from what I can deduce. One is a boy, 3 years the other a girl, 4 years. The girl has sort of an attitude problem, however I don't know that I can connect that to pot because her mother has one as well.
However, I would like to say that I find it strange that drigs such as Zoloft and Paxil were so quick to be given the greenlight during pregnancy, when they later were found to cause horrible birth defects. They tried to give me Zoloft with my son and I refused ( I am bipolar but choose to deal without meds for the sake of my kids) A few months after I had my son, I started seeing all these programs and commercials for how the zoloft caused birth defects and you could sue and blah blah...
My point is, when you're pregnant, it is really really hard to tell what is safe and what is not. What may be ok today could come out being deadly tomorrow. Therefore, I don't think it is wise to use anything while pregnant, unless the benefits HIGHLY outweigh the risks. My friend who smoked with her son smoked daily, however she had lost 20 lbs from hypermesis garviduim (sp?) and had been hospitilzed several times due to dehydration. The doctors gave her some things to try ( I bleieve Zofran and Phenergan) but they didn't work at all. Pot was the only thing that did. I still wouldn't do it but I'm just saying that in her case I feel it was sort of what saved the pregnancy because she was having pre labor cramps and the baby wasn;t growing right due to the sickness. Now, I also know someone else who's doctor insisted on taking her meds for bipolar and her baby was born with a heart problem and needed surgery. (I personally would have found a different doctor but hey to each's own)
So, I cannot speak for everybody but I personally like to be au naturel while pregnant. That way there are no worries or guilt associated with my actions.
Oh, and I live in the States and have never been drug tested at a prenatal appointment, so I don't know that they do that in all states. I'm not saying it's bad or anything I'm just saying I've never had that experience.
she going to have a smaller baby anyways if she cant eat!!! so chances are smoking a little bud will help her also gain weight and help the baby grow
This was also helpfull to me:)Thanks:)
This was also helpfull to me:)Thanks:)
Look up melanie dreher study it is the only study that has been done on marijuana use during pregnancy that does not include the use of tabacco, alcohol or other controlled substances. I think you will find it very helpful and informative. The study was done on women during pregnancy and then follows the children 5 years after birth and the results are pretty interesting
I live in the USA and smoked my whole first pregnancy BC I have bipolar/depression and clinical anxiety. I didn't tell my midwife. They tested him after birth and called child services. They asked me if any other drug was also in my system. I said no. They called my midwife to check my facts were correct about mental disorders. I was on zoloft which did NOTHING. child services then called my baby's Dr to see he's healthy. Nothing happened w child services. They never investigated but the stress worry and guilt wasn't worth it. So I'm now pregnant with my second child. I plan on telling my midwife that I use for medical reasons and see what she has to say about quitting marijuana but not taking other drugs that they say may or may not harm my baby. My sons thirteen mo, he's months ahead of others in millstones sleeps all night has from day 9 after birth. No both defects or asthma or any ******** they feed u about weed being harmful. Its not period. And all the judgmental bitchy moms saying u don't care about ur child obviously hasn't researched the fact that Jamaican studies show children born to weed smoking mothers do Better in every category. Results of issues in the study could be unrelated to weed and just happen by chance. Its not going to hurt the baby. It will help pregnancy symptoms and ppl are sadly misinformed and scared away from this forever used medication which is natural and not man made
They drug test your placenta after birth. Its an automatic cps case
Do you have an actual prescriptionf for the marijuana you are using for "medical reasons" or are you buying it illegally. Because if you are sorry but what is laced into that crap and the fillers stuffed into it are nowhere near healthy or natural.
I know a woman who had a baby with birth defects because the father was a weed smoker. another one i know had a baby with six fingers on each hand because the father smoked weed. CAN YOU THINK WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IF THE WOMEN FEEDS IT TO THE BABY BY SMOKEING WEED. Dont be selfish care about someone else not what you like or want. BABYS are a gift from god what you do to your gift is up to you.
Google Melanie dreher she did a whole study on marijuana use.during pregnacy , people are only gonna tell you their opinion on these posts. Look for actual facts, and dont stress abt what anyone tells. Just a thought