Pregnancy 18-24 Community
So Close and So Scared!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

So Close and So Scared!

Ok i've been dreading this my whole pregnancy. Since 19 weeks i've felt something is wrong. I started swelling really bad at 19 weeks and my blood pressure has been all over the place since 25 weeks or so.  Now that i'm not working my swelling is minimal and seems to only be in upper legs and knees but doesn't seem to go down at all, even after sleeping all night.  I've been to the hospital off and on i'd say 20 times since about 20 weeks with high bp but by the time i actually get there my bp decreases conciderably.  My new worry is i'm now showing traces of protein in my urine sample. I did on Wednesday when i went to see the surgeon and again today with my normal dr.  The thing that makes me so angry is they don't seem alarmed by this.  I've never shown protein the whole time i've been pregnant. I had blood tests done a week ago and at that time everything was normal. But also at that time there was no protein showing, I'm so worried this this is going to get back for me and the baby overnight. I'm now done with all appointments and have a scheduled csection for next Thursday (6 days from now) . I'm terrified things will get worse in the meantime. For anyone that has had pre-eclampsia does this sound like i could be headed there?? I don't feel well...so worn out and sick to my stomach for the last couple of weeks but i read that can be normal at 38 weeks pregnant.  I just need some advice/reassurance.  I just can't believe i was losing protein and neither my dr or obgyn (surgeon) seemed to worry about it. All i've been doing since is worrying. I just want to make it to next week and have this baby. It hasn't been an easy pregnancy.
i forgot to add that my bp has been anywhere from 90/50 up to 170/84...it's up and down and all over the place..has been since 25 weeks
Why are you having a scheduled c-section?

I think its time to relax.  Its almost like you are looking for something to go wrong.  It is normal for some people to have protein in the urine if you have had numerous UTIs or in some other cases.  If protein is very low, there would be no alarm for the care provides.
I had pre eclampsya with both of my pregnancies and both deliveries were via c section and both were premature births.  Mine was severe...this is something that doctors take seriously because if not taken care of on time can even become fatal.  Although you have protein in your urine, it is not enough to classify you as pre eclamptic therefore, you shouldn't worry.  I suggest you keep an eye on your blood pressure, that is the determining factor.  And remember that if you do become pre eclamptic from one minute to the next, emergency delivery is the way to go and as soon as your baby is out, the pre eclampsya goes away.  

But beware that you might have the same situation in your next pregnancy or even worse.  Pre eclampsya is a bacteria carried my the man so if you have another baby with the same man, then you are likely to have the same situation if not worse.
I've never had a UTI and there's no blood or bacteria in my urine but i've had three trace proteins this week. And in a way i am looking for the next shoe to drop because i've been feeling miserable..i had all the symptoms pretty much of pre-eclampsia but they've just brushed me off because there was never any protein..but now that there is they're still not worried. It's hard to relax..i know how bad things can get and how quickly with pre-eclampsia and i'm really scared. I made it this far..i don't understand why they at least don't do a 24 hour urine collection.  I'm having a csection because i had one with my last pregnancy along with alot of complications during the birth. Placenta  accreta being one of them and i lost alot of blood. Ended up back in the hospital a week after birth hemmoraging. I didn't want to risk a natural birth after all of that.
It's caused by a bacteria?? Really?? I've never heard of that before! I've been monitoring my blood pressure really carefully.....i get really scared when it goes really high but usually after 20-30 minutes it's down again. And i heard that one trace protein isn't bad but i had three this week.  Obviously my kidneys are throwing off protein or else it would only be trace once in a while wouldn't it? I don't know i'm just really worried and it scares me that my doctors aren't. Did you have to deliver once you found out you had it?? I just heard it can get bad and quickly and that's what has me so worried..i feel like a ticking time bomb. I just want this little guy out where my body can't hurt him. And this is my second and final baby. I have a two year old girl now and we'll welcome our son next Thursday if i make it til then.  Thanks so much for your reply..i really appreciate it.
There is no known cause of Preeclampsia as of now. There's dozens of theories of what might cause it, and it's also thought that family genes might be a link to it. I pulled this off of something.

In a study of data on nearly 730,000 mother-child and father-child groups, they found that daughters of women who had preeclampsia were more than twice as likely as others to have preeclampsia themselves. Men born after a preeclamptic pregnancy were about 50% more likely to father a preeclamptic pregnancy as well. Preeclampsia occurs in about 3% to 5% of all pregnancies.
good to know...since i never knew my mother and my husband was adopted i guess i don't really know my chances based on those facts.
You sound like where I was with my first.  My blood pressure was 190/80s and I was having a trace of protein in my urine at 40 weeks.  They did do a non-stress test and measured the fluid to be safe.  They then scheduled my induction for a week away hoping the baby would come on his own (he did).  I was also swollen and had sausage toes - litterally they looked like one big lump!  The NST really put my mind at ease.  You could always request one.  Good luck, like your doctors mine were not too concerned.
Yeah i had bad swelling around 19 weeks but once i finished working it's practically gone...other then a little in my upper legs and knees. I've only gained 20 lbs in total and over the last couple of weeks have actually lost 2 so i'm not worried about the swelling..just the protein and high blood pressure.  I only have to hang in for 5 more days so hopefully nothing gets worse in the meantime...if it does i'll definately be heading right to the hospital. It's such a worry though.  This is my second and i had high blood pressure with my first but that was it..no protein although my feet did get really swollen three weeks before i had her. I'm measuring right on for my dates so i'm hoping that's also a good sign. It just scares me because people have told me how bad it can get and how quickly. I made it this far i just don't want anything going wrong.