Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Spinal block Vs. Epidural???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Spinal block Vs. Epidural???

So, I was told that here where I am delivering, they do not offer an Epidural, but they do offer a spinal block.

I'm not to sure if I like that lol. I have had with my last 2 sons an Epidural in which it only blocked the pain from my belly, but left me feeling everything in my lower area....it helped sooo much when it came to pushing the baby's out, because I could feel my vajayjay lol and the baby moving down my birth canal.

But with the spinal, it only offers pain relief to the LOWER part of your body....I would like to have the lower part of my body still have feeling, but not feel the worse of my contractions, but I heard that's not possible with a spinal.

That and I also heard with a spinal they use narcotic pain relief. If I have pain medication, I do not want a narcotic. So i'm a bit bummed about this.

Anyone have any more info?
I have only had the epidural and I like that myself.  I am able to still feel what I need to feel and push, etc.  Sorry, because I know I offered you nothing really but I just thought I would chime in.  I didn't even really know that they spinal block was still offered.  I am always just asked if I plan on getting an epidural or not and I say OF COURSE!!!
I had a spinal block for my c-section.  I couldn't feel anything below my chest and it took what seemed like FOREVER to feel my legs and move my toes again afterwards.  

http://www.   american  pregnancy.     org/labornbirth/epidural.html

http://www.   american   pregnancy.     org/labornbirth/spinalblock.htm

take out the spaces of course.

I know that after my spinal I was freezing and shaking and itching ferociously.  If it were me I would check into other methods of pain management that the hospital offers and try very hard to NOT have the spinal.  Those links above just kind of go over the procedures and types of meds used in spinals vs epidurals.  Hope this helps.
Another thing, you didn't say who told you that, make sure you call L & D at the hospital to be absolutely SURE.
I agree with LosingMyMindInGA, call L&D and make sure that's right. If all they offer is spinals than no one would be able to feel the urge to push, and spinals wear off faster than epidurals do. There's no line into your back with a spinal so you wouldn't be able to get another shot through the line if you needed it...

I did not like my spinal I had with my c-section. I was shaking, and SO ITCHY!!! It was horrible! They used morphine for my spinal. I would definitely look into a different form of pain relief if I were you!
Like smjmekg said I find it hard to believe they would only offer spinals. The whole point of the epidural is to let you have some feeling otherwise it will hinder the birth process.  
Yeah...it sounds kinda fishy to me...I would definitely ask someone. I mean, why would they only want to give you a spinal so you can't feel anything at all, when to push, the contractions, your legs to hold them...it makes NO sense that they'd only offer a spinal. You literally can't feel a thing at all from about the nipples down...
That does sound so weird. I asked about a spinal because I was curious and my OB said they only give them for c-sections because they're stronger than necessary AND they don't help you feel the process so you're more likely to tear...definitely ask.
Sorry gals! I was told by a neighbor who used my same doctor to deliver her two children. She said she was only offered a spinal for strong pain relief. I want the low dose epidural (walking Epidural) as an option for me in case IV pain relief doesn't work.

I heard that they also use the *Anti Vomit* meds(Can't think of the name) along with the IV pain relief, and if that's the case....i'm looking at a more natural birth plan than intended lol. I want some drugs...but the Anti Vomit medication causes me to be VERY sleepy and it gives me a "high" feeling.

I guess with all this, I will start discussing my birth plans with DF so I can have him type it up and I can give it to my doctor. I've never done a real birth plan....my last 4 birth plans were as follows

DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS
PUSH PUSH PUSH lol
LOL, definately do it.  But remember you have the right to refuse ANY Type of procedure or medication.  If you do NOT want that anti vomit crap tell them under no circumstances are they to give it to you.  Legally the most they can do is require you to sign a waiver saying you are refusing it.  

Definately call L  & D at the hospital and see waht your options are and what their standard operating procedure is for birth.  That will give you a good idea of where you need to start on your birth plan.