Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Sponge pica/pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Sponge pica/pregnancy

I have sickle cell disease. I take 5mg folic acid/day.  I have regular ferritan but low hemoglobin (mid 70s).  I have suffered from sponge pica since I was a child.  I was recently 5-6 mos pregnant when I gave birth to a stillborn.  This may be a stupid question but did my baby die as a result of my sponge pica?  Please respond.
First... sorry about your loss.  I really don't know the exact answer to your question, but I would have to think that ingesting a foreign substance wouldn't be good for the baby (or you, for that matter).  Was your doctor aware of the fact that you started this complusion again?  I am under the impression that this form of pica is OCD related... so I would have to think that there would be some sort of medication that you could take that would be okay during pregnancy.  What did your doctor say about your loss?
Im sorry for your loss. Did your angel have any abnormalities prior to birth?
The craving for sponges usually comes from an iron deficiency.

The question about the loss of your precious baby would probably best be answered by your doctor.  Are there any medical records that indicate what the doctor's believe caused you to give bith to a stillborn baby?  A placenta separation, that kind of thing?

Please talk with your doctor about your concerns.

The other ladies that responded to your post gave you some good things to think about.  And good advice.

Best Wishes,
Heather
Hi Ovaz129, Thanks for responding and being so kind.  I honestly do not know why I eat sponge or crave it.  I know there is a relation to pica and anemia but my doctors tell me I am not iron deficient, only that I suffer from low hemoglobin (which I take 5mg folic acid /day for).  My doctors in fact tell me to take a supplement that is iron free.  I don't consider myself OCD more than the regular person.  I check the stove 2-3 times to make sure it's off, I may check to make sure my doors locked, nothing more than that.  I just can't find the source as to what I am lacking in minerals or what it is *sigh*.  Anyways, my doctor says it's not the pica that attributed to my babys death but she really feels it's more so to do with my Sickle cell disease.  The day I was going to inform my doctor of my pica was the day the ultrasound showed no heartbeat.  I will/can never forgive myself...
Firstly, thank you for referring to my daughter as an angel.  I miss her more than I'll ever be able to express.  
During my 19 week ultrasound the ultrasound tech did notice that her femur wasn't growing at the same rate as her themur (or vice versa), she advised not to worry about it and that she would check the measurements again at a later ultrasound.  I should've known something was wrong, but I have never been pregnant b4.  I didn't feel her kicking anymore and everyone kept saying that my belly was so tiny for how far along I was, but everyone kept saying not to worry and I was always told not to put any added stress on the baby so I tried not to worry and just waited for my next doctors appt.  You get so much different advice - I was told that I probably wouldn't feel my baby kick much until after 24 weeks or so and not to worry, then I was told it's diff for everybody. I was told that my belly was so tiny because I am a naturally tiny person and physically active as well.  I went to every appt.  I ate lots of foods high in protein, carbs etc.. I slept the majority on my left side as I was told that delivers optimal oxygen etc to the baby.  I never lifted any heavy items.  I took my vitamins. I am so angry and so confused and devasted. I will never be the same again.
Hi there, thanks for taking the time to reply.  I don't suffer from iron deficiency only low hemoglobin for which I take folic acid daily.  I do have Sickle cell disease which is a major factor which my doctors are leaning towards regarding the stillbirth.  I did have an amniocentisis done and it came back fine.  No placenta separation. I'll have to wait for the autopsy results.  Hopefully it will shed some light.
I don't have answers but wanted to say how very sorry I am for your loss!
No problem... I know how tough losses are.  I lost my first at 15 weeks and my 2nd during the 6th week.  I also know about OCD because I have it :)  I was diagnosed with it in the 5th grade when I wouldn't stop pulling my hair out.  Weird... I know.  

Not everyone with OCD has the "stereotypical" behaviors, such as washing your hands a million times, or closing the door a certain number of times.  OCD is more of compulsions that you cannot control... such as Pica or pulling out your hair.  When the urge is so strong that you literally cannot fight it, or you are "obsessed" with doing that behavior, many times it is categorized under the generalization of OCD.  

I would talk further with your primary care and see if he/she would put you on an anti depressant and/or anxiety medication.  I was on both medications when my condition flared up a few years ago and they helped tremendously.  You will feel alot better about yourself and won't feel so ashamed once it is under control.  Good luck!!
Thanks so much for your condolences.
Hi there, thx for the reply.   I never knew you lost 2 already - soo sorry.  Can I ask you a question though?  What made you decide to go on and try again?  I am faced with that decision but am scared to put my friends family thru the pain of possibly losing another child and also worried about the same thing possibly happening again.

I was on antidepressants and antianxiety meds but I still suffer from pica.  Maybe I need to try a different med, I dunno.