Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Stripping the membranes???!!!!!???!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Stripping the membranes???!!!!!???!!!!

I went to my doctors appt today (37w5d) and my doctor asked me if I wanted to have my membranes stripped.  I had no clue what that was.  She then explained what "stripping the membranes" meant and I was a bit nervous at first but then I told her I wanted to do it.  She scheduled me to have them stripped on Tuesday morning (May 20th) and she said I should have my baby that day to 2 days later.  Has anyone ever had this done??  And if so, how many times and did you have them stripped and did it start your labor???  
I had it done with both my pregnancys and with my first I think I went into labor within about 3 days, with my second it happened that night. The key is you have to be dialated a little before. The whole thing is a little uncomfortable, it basicly strips away a little of your cervix to get things moving.
One draw back is that while I was in labor with my 2nd I told my midwif that I having really bad back labor and I told when the doctor stripped my membrans earyier that day it really picked everything up and she said that by doing that it causes alot of the back labor!! I had never heard of that before but when I thought about it I had really bad back labor with my 1st labor too. I dont know how much truth was in what she said but she has been a midwife for 20+ years so.....
I also know that the way the baby's head desends causes back labor too....ie. if its turned to the side or is coming the wronge way.
Good luck, it does move things along:)
An epidural really helps with the pain too, lol!
Im a little confused?? what is stripping the membranes???

Will i have this done when i give birth??
I had my membranes stripped and it didn't work for me.. But it sure as heck was painful!!! LOL.....
Stripping the membranes is when your OB inserts a finger into your vagina and pushes it up to the tip of your cervix and does a finger sweet.. It seperates the membranes from the cervix and sometimes can start labor, but not always.. If baby isn't ready, baby won't come! LOL...
My doctor did this with both my daughters, but I didn't have to make a second appointment. She just did it during the cervical exam (all they do is sweep their finger, as Mom23Angels said to separate the bag of waters from the cervix).

Anyway, I had my first daughter within 18 hours and I had my second daughter within 24 hours of having this done. It jumpstarts contractions and labor by causing a hormonal reaction to the bag of waters separating from cervix. Your water MAY break, but that doesn't happen often.

Good luck and YAY! Your baby will be here soon!
I don't understand why doctors try to start labor early. As long as you aren't having any problems with your pregnancy, I would probably decline. Your baby will come out when he or she is ready! In most cases!!!
ExpectingaReadhead is very correct. I didn't see how many weeks you were until I just read this. I was 39 weeks and 5 days when they stripped my membranes (both times). Maybe wait another week or two before having that done unless you are having complications and it is medically necessary to deliver your baby.
Thank you all so much!!!  

JoyRenee &ExpectingaRedhead
My doctor wants the baby to come a lil early if possible because she don't want to do a c-section and thinks I may be to small to deliver if we wait too much longer.  I honestly feel really small for considered term.  I don't know where a baby is hiding at in there!!!  They haven't given me a u/s since 23 weeks so they don't even know about what size she is, but I am measuring on target.
I had mine done on a thursday and that following monday morning I woke up wtih contractions and leaking fluid....my son was born at 6:54 pm that day.  For me it took 4 days.

I would certainly request that they do a scan to see what the estimated size of the baby is BEFORE having it done....I was only a week out from my due date when mine was done.  As the other ladies pointed out, you shouldn't try to bring baby earlier than he/she is ready unless there are other complications/factors involved.
It might work, it might not.
You're welcome! And I know my doctor wants my next baby to be induced at 38 weeks because my youngest daughter's collarbone broke in the birth canal (I think it was because she had her arm across her chest, my doctor says it was because she was 8.5 lbs). So I can understand when a doctor wants to do this in order to avoid C-section!!! Good luck and I cannot wait to see pics of your new baby!!!
I had this done with my first and started having contractions within the hour after it was done.  However they were very irregular and after about 3 hours started to tapper off until they went altogether.  My doc was very surprised that it didn't work as i was already 3cm dialated and all ready to go.  I ended up being induced about 8 days later and all went well.  It is perfectly safe but just a bit uncomfortable, like a rough internal.  Your doc would not suggest it if it was too early so try not to worry and good luck.
Were you dilated any when you had them Stripped???  
Yes I was! I was 3 cm both times. If you are not dilated, then they can dilate you. It'll be a little bit more painful and uncomfortable, but it beats a c-sec.
Well, I had the stripping this morning.  It was very painful and I thought I was gonna pass out there for a minute.  I  was 2cm dilated and 60% effaced.  I had menstral type cramping, but now 9 hours later I don't.  I am still spotting.  I was also getting irregular contractions but havn't had any in a while.  I'm guessing the stripping probably didn't work for me..but who knows.  I guess we'll see!!!
i had my membranes stripped w/ my first.  i was already 39wks and 6 cm dialated (don't know how much effaced) but i wasn't having contractions (that i could feel).  the doc stripped my membranes and sent me to the hospital.  they hooked me up to a monitor and i was having contractions but they weren't painful.  they kept me though and dd was born that afternoon (by emergency c-section).
Worked for me.  They did it on Friday afternoon, woke up in Labor on Saturday morning with painful contractions coming every 3min from the time the very first one started and 8 hours later I was a Mommy!!!  It kinda hurts when they do it.  It will probably make you have a contraction while doing it.  It is worth a try!!
I know I'm late here... but I just came across this,
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/sweepingMembranes.html
Figured maybe you'd want to read what some doctors had to say about it.
wow that was very informative! Thanks!! I wonder why my midwife said it causes back labor?? I didnt read anything about that at that website??
They stick their finger right inside your cervix and scrape it around in a circular motion to separate the membranes from your cervix. It sucks!

They stripped mine at 37 weeks also...but I was measuring 40 weeks already and they knew that my son was pretty big. They did it, it hurt, I bled, and NO LABOR. I went another week, then they did it again...and...NOTHING. It didn't work for me and finally I was induced at 38.5 weeks because I was measuring at 41-42 weeks.

Good luck! I hope it works for you! It is very uncomfortable, and you'll probably bleed a little bit.
Oh yea...I was 2-3 both times that they tried it...
I HAD IT DONE!!!
I was almost a week late, and i went to the Dr. for her to tell me how big the thought the baby was. They said the baby was measuring about 9.2 lbs and she told me to lay bak, I thought I was getting an internal exam, OH NO, she practically stuck her arm up me, or at least that is what it felt like.  Low and behold, the next morning, My mucuse plug broke and labor began,  24 hours later and a lot of stress, I ended up getting a section.  Why can't she induce you?
I think she wanted to see if the stripping would work before she induces.

TO:: Those that the stripping worked for..

After you had it done, did you feel any diffenent??  Were you getting contractions or anything??  Or did you feel fine until your labor began???  

Right after I had it done I had cramping, spotting and some irregular contractions but now that it's been over 11 hours I am back to normal.  
I had a lot of cramping and a dull ache in my back.
Did you read that website posted by KStarr07?? That was very interesting and I have had it done 2x's!!!!

Thank u guys fro the info i have no children yet but i sure am learning a lot !
Well before they admit you to the hospital for induction (hooking you up to Pitocin), they will strip your membranes. Do they have a date scheduled for you to go in already? Because if you don't go into labor within 48 hours, they'll probably have you go in and hook you up to Pitocin and possibly break your water.

I'm sorry it was so painful (I remember how it was)! BUT the contractions may start up again. Don't lose hope!!! WALK, have sex, bounce on an exercise ball or the edge of your bed. Keep moving and hopefully you'll go into labor on your own.
Here's something from the website KStarr gave you that I find promising as you say you're spotting:

"You are loosening the plug, and will probably carry it with you as you withdraw your hand. It's a good sign that you stripped the membranes well. Let the mom know she may find more bloody show through the day. If labor doesn't begin within 24 hours, the plug should reform."

So you still have time to have that baby on your own.
Does rocking help move things along.. lol I know that's random, but they say bouncing and that's a lot of work. I've been sitting here with my legs spread across my chair [because it's comfortable that way] and rocking my belly back and forth. It sounds silly but it kinda feels good. I was just curious.. Hahaha
And justme, I've got a question for you.. Did they have any reason to do this for you? As most dr.s on that site I posted said they only do it under certain circumstances. any contractions? are you dilated a lot? effaced?
JoyRenne
Nope, no date for induction yet.  I have an appt on Tues. so I guess we'll talk about that then if I haven't gone into labor yet.  Oh!!  Me and the hubby plan to do lots of walking tomorrow and I may think about the sex part...He's all about that part, but I'm just not feeling it right now..Poor hubby!!

KStarr07
I believe my doc wants to avoid a c-section.  I am tiny and they want to make sure baby will come naturally, but they want to get her out before she's too big.  I have been getting the BH for a while now, but they started to get more crampy feeling within the last week or so.  They did a non-stress test last week because of decreased movement and I actually had alot of contractions within the 40 minutes they had me hooked up, but I only felt about 9.
I was never induced, the stripping brought on labor.
I had it done in the afternoon, the next morning around 6am I was having mild conttractions every few minutes followd by the mucus plug breaking.  I was scheduled to be induced at 4pm, but instead, went in the hospital in labor.  i was 41 weeks prego at that point.  After 24 hours of labor, running a fever... I never passed 3 or 4 cm's at 6:59am the following morning my first son was born via section.  I was totally exhausted!  But, I got a healthy baby boy.  
I am 37 weeks and i am so ready to go i want them to strip mine i am in pain now with just the pressure alone and i have g diabetes i am ready to get my life back plus i want to see my baby i wanna no am i rushing it are is it fine to feel the way i do the first time i had it done it did not hurt and i get ultrasounds twice a week so i no my baby healthy and full term and at birth weight so do i get them stripped are do i wait it out i am in pain
Just wanted to let you know this is an old post, you should re post your question on its own.