Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Sudden Weight gain, UA and Blood Pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I’m 23 weeks pregnant. Starting on Sunday I have this headache that isn’t going away and I’ve vomited from it. This morning I had slight swelling in my hands and around my eyes. I also found some shock when I stepped on the scale and gained 4 pounds since yesterday. Being that I work at a small clinic I did a Urine test on myself which showed 100+ protein and 100 Glucose. I also normally run 107/60 for BP and was at 130/83. Of course the clinic wants me to come in…however, I’m at work until 8pm tonight and 8-8 tomorrow. Anyone go through anything similar? Thanks ladies!
I've never experienced this myself but if definitely sounds like signs of pre-eclampsia. You should be seen by your dr ASAP. Good luck.
I agree w/ the above comment.

Your symptoms need to be taken VERY seriously - did the clinic say it was ok to wait  until after you have worked the next two days, for you to come in right away?  If you are developing pre-eclampsia this is extremely serious and waiting 1-2 days for a medical evaluation could be putting both your life and your babies life at risk.... Please find a way to see your doctor TODAY.
-just to add that I AM trying to scare you!

If you told your doctor/nurse/clinic that your BP has risen to a high level for you, you have protein in your urine, and have sudden weight gain/swelling I would be extremely surprised if they didnt want to see you NOW.  Not tonight, not tomorrow, not Friday, but literally NOW.

Since you are displaying symptoms of a life-threatening disease you need to be checked right away.  Its possible that you dont have pre-eclampsia, that you made a mistake when measuring protein levels in your urine, BUT if all your numbers are correct this is NOT something that you can wait out.
I agree Amber.  These are ALL signs/symptoms of pre-eclampsia!  Get checked and let us know what is going on!!!
It sounds just like Pre-eclampsia.  I developed mild pre-eclampsia towards the end of my pregnancy.  I was extremely swollen all over, even my stomach was tender to the touch because of how swollen I was.  My BP was creeping up at every appoinment (it got to be 140's/80's).  Then I gained 6lbs in one week, eating like I normally did!  I collected my urine for 24 hours to check for protein.  The doctor told me if it was over 300 they would be inducing me ASAP, but if it wasn't then we were going to wait until I was 38 or 39 weeks (I was 36 1/2 weeks at the time).  Well it came back in the 200's, so I was induced at exactly 39 weeks.  But the doctor told me women who have pre-clampsia are usually induced as soon as they know the baby has a good chance of surviving (I guess its around 34 or 36 weeks, can't remember) but by letting it go can cause problems for both mother and baby. Also, my swelling started before that checkup, but was only a concern around 36 weeks because the swelling increased dramatically, it was hurting for me to walk and nothing would help with it (i.e. proping feet up).  I would call your doctor right away!
Hi Ladies,

I did tell the doctors office all of the above. They wanted me in at 2:30 but said I could go to L&D after work to get checked. The nurse said that it isn't normal to develop pre-eclampsia at 23 weeks. I am kinda confussed.
I have an appointment in the morning...so far I haven't found anyone to come pick up my shift tonight.
-pre-eclampia can actually develop as early as 20 weeks gestation but its not common (usually it develops after 32 weeks).

Tell your work or co-workers that you have a potential medical emergency and you NEED them to find someone to cover you so you can get checked out today.
I went to the clinic this morning she thinks I just am on my feet too often with 12 hour shifts. She did run labs though, I don't have the results yet.