Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Swelling of feet, ankles, and legs - only 6 weeks!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I am only 6 weeks pregnant, and I only just found out around the 28th of June. I haven't been too concerned, everything was going really well, I didn't feel pregnant, I wasn't sick etc.

However, since yesterday my feet have been swelling. At first I thought it was just my feet, but today I realized the awkwardness I was feeling when bending down to do things might be due to the fact that I am ALSO swelling all in my legs and knees. I just thought the pregnancy was making me tired, but I am definitely swelling in my lower half and it seems a little excessive to me particularly for only a few weeks pregnant.

But my concern is that its still here, after 2 days  I and I am ONLY 6 weeks pregnant. I do put my feet up, and that helps, but as soon as my feet are back down the swelling begins again. Should this be happening? I was planning on getting in to my first doctor's appointment after we get moved, so that I can go back to my preferred doctor (Aug 1st or so), but should I be concerned about the swelling and try an appointment sooner?!?

Please advise! I will feel better if I know rather I should really worry about this or not.

Hi, You don't need to worry at all.. today i am 22 week 2 day.. i've been also feeling swelling in my feet form the starting of my pregnancy.. it started from 6-7 weeks only..i have also sweeling on my feet.. As son as i put my legs on table or chair, i feel better.. so try to sit like that so your legs get support..
There are a few things that can cause swelling early on. For the most part, swelling is very normal in pregnancy. There are a few things you can do to help it. It should go down after a few hours of rest. Do you have it in your face and hands as well? These could mean something wrong. It could be preeclampsia but that normally starts around 20 weeks of pregnancy and later. If you don't feel it's normal, never hesitate to call a doctor and ask what to do.