Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Swollen testicle in newborn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Swollen testicle in newborn

Is this a pretty common thing to happen? Has anyone who has boys ever noticed this and what was the cause??
We can't seem to get a break with Jesse, it seems like one thing after the other, but I did call the doc today and wanted to know if it was urgent to take him to the hospital or just wait until monday morning so my doc could see him. He told me if he is not in pain from it, then to just wait until the morning (which is what I am doing). If he was in pain, he said it would be a serious matter. His left testicle is pretty swollen and has been for a couple of days. It's also a bit red in the area and I thought it was an infection, but he has no fever, and is not in any pain.
Anyone go through this? My first son never had this problem, so this is new to me! I am hoping it's nothing and in the morning, hopefully they can squeeze us in for an appt. and the doc can take a look. I have heard that in some cases it's just a fluid build up and will eventually just go away, but then I have heard some horror stories. Any info or experience would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Im sorry im not going to be of much help:-( I dont remember any of my boys having that problem BUT I have heard that it is normal for them to be swollen after birth and it can sometimes last for a month or longer. Is this something you just noticed or something that just started?? Fingers crossed that is nothing and just goes awayy on its own! And yes you have had one thing after another with Jesse! You deserve a break:-)
Thanks Tabitha. He is 4 weeks now and I just noticed this maybe 3 or 4 days ago. I thought it was normal, but then my husband was getting a little worried and called the doc. I have to call them today in the office in about an hour or so and hopefully can bring him in. I hope it's nothing and just normal swelling, but it does kind of freak me out a bit.
anyone else?
I found this on Baby Center:

What does it mean if one of my baby's testicles is swollen?
He probably has a hydrocele (pronounced hydroseal (hydrocele)). A boy's testicles develop inside of his abdomen while he's in the womb, and then sometime before birth they usually push through a tunnel in the tissue between the groin and the abdomen and descend into the scrotal sac. At that point, the passage through the abdominal wall should close up. If it remains open, as it does in up to 50 percent of newborn boys, fluid may accumulate around the testicle and cause swelling. This round, soft area of swelling, called a hydrocele, shouldn't bother your baby and will probably go away by the time he turns 1. If it doesn't go away by his first birthday, he may need minor surgery to drain the fluid and close the opening