Pregnancy 18-24 Community
THC in Pregnant Woman (4 Months)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

THC in Pregnant Woman (4 Months)

Before I post, please do not provide infor as to what can happen "after" the baby is born. I only want information to what is happening "now".

First and foremost, I do not do any drugs. Not even marijuana. However, I went to 2 friend's x-mas party after the "family" party  not knowing there would be smoking pot. I was there from 11pm until 5am due  to holiday celebration. I would occassionaly go outside for fresh air. Ive read tons of articles that THC can not go to the blood system via 2nd hand smoke. Well I am living proof that that info is completely inaccurate. Two days later after both parties, I had my follow up appt with my doctor which conducted blood work at his office. Turns out I came out postive in blood work for THC. Therefore, my question is, what can the doctor do at this time? LEGALLY in the state of NJ, since I am only 4 months and the baby is still not in "my arms", what can the doctor do at this point? or better yet, what can the doctor not do? in NJ, will doctor report this? or will the doctor just only give me advise to stay away from people who do smoke to avoid exposure and protect me and the baby? or can the doctor just say something like "I am not interested in working with thc positive patients, you will have to find a new doctor"? or can the doctor "force" me into some sort of rehab help despite the fact that I do not smoke? or is the doctor to follow and respect the doctor/patient confidentiality (HIPAA)?  what am I facing next time I see the doctor
Tags: doctor reports thc in pregnant
I can't tell you for sure, but NJ is not a mandatory reporting state.  Dr. aren't required to report positive tests, but I imagine they would have the choice to if they wanted to.  Did the Dr. question you about it at the time?  HIPAA is not a barrier to them reporting, some states require reporting positive tests, SC even considers it child abuse during pregnancy and it is a mandatory reporting situation, but like I said, not NJ.  I wish I could tell you, but I really think it's going to be whatever your Dr. decides on his own.  
I live in NJ and I don't know if I've ever even been drug tested during pregnancy...the invoices I've received from the lab have never shown any drug tests...
In your previous post that you wrote at the end of December you stated that you smoked Marijuana for 2 weeks and then tested positive for THC.  This contradicts what you have written today and might change the mode by which this is handled, especially if your dr had reason to believe you may have smoked.

And what you read is correct.  THC will NOT be in your system at detectable levels from typical 2nd-hand smoke exposure.  The THC in your system was as a result of your smoking mariuana for 2 weeks.
Unless you were in an enclosed space (a car with the windows rolled up) for several hours, you wouldn't fail the test from second hand smoke. Since you were at a party, that is now why you failed.

That being said, if you haven't smoked at all since your last post where you said you smoked for two weeks, you can still test positive if the doctor tested for THC metabolites.

The best thing for you to do is be COMPLETELY honest with your doctor and ask what he is going to do.