Pregnancy 18-24 Community
The effects of taking lortabs while pregnant.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

What are the effects of taking lortab  three times a day while only three weeks pregnant?
Well this is definitely something you need to discuss with your doctor. There has not been enough thorough study on pregnant women but it is a category C so it should only be used when the benefits outweigh the risks.
No side effects where things like deformities are concerned but the baby CAN become addicted which is why dr's tend to lower a womans dose of pain meds during the last trimester. it can also cause problems for breathing for the baby.

Make sure your Dr. Knows your pregnant. I had to be on pain meds (oxycodone) during my pregnancy and because we tapered it down at the end and I got off completely a day or so before he was born he didn't have any problems.
I agree with martika...I had to take pain meds occasionally for migraines, and then twice for kidney stones when I was pregnant with my daughter. I didn't take anything after 34wks and delivered at 40 and my daughter was VERY healthy, no problems. With this pregnancy I have to occasionally take a lortab for my migraines, but it's under the advice and prescription of my OB. the important thing is that ANY meds you take while pregnant are under the care and advice of your OB....he should be the one writing the prescription so he knows what's in your system. As long as he knows and is the one prescribing you should be fine...narcotics are very low-risk except right around delivery, and they'll need to monitor you then.

That being said...it's best not to take ANY thing while pregnant. if you have to, you have to and that's fine...but try to take as few as possible, or ask for the lowest dose that's effective for you. Just make sure your OB knows.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers