Pregnancy 18-24 Community
The hospital called CPS on me!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

The hospital called CPS on me!

Long story short, I had to go out to the ER with my 7 month old. While I was putting a baby gate up, he hurried up and crawled over and grabbed it in the worst possible place at the worst possible time. He ended up getting a nasty pinch to the end of his thumb.

The thumb wasn't broken, just a deep bruise. However, they found something that the xray tech labeled as questionable. According to one doctor, the xray tech thought it looked like a fracture. (even though it's up farther on his hand). I had two ER doctors tell me that because the spot where it is, is not swollen, red, bruised or in pain, that it was just the way his bone looked. Both also told me that because babies bones are constantly growing, it just may be how it looks right now.

But CPS was called. I understand it's protocal, but I'm afraid. No one has ever hurt him and he's never been in the type of pain a fracture would bring.

I don't go to well-baby visits, since he's meeting his milestones much earlier than what is the norm, his height and weight are excellent and his overall health is excellent as well. I don't ever hesitat to take him to see a doctor when he needs it. I've NEVER neglected him. He's well loved and well cared for.

I'm so scared! I don't want to lose my baby over something like that!
If what you say is true, there's no reason to worry. They have to find a valid reason to take the child away, and even then it's difficult to do. There are drug users who keep their children. They might have you start going to his appointments just because even if he seems physically healthy and meets milestones there could still be an issue, but I doubt even they would push that much.
dont worry hang in there .
I'm sure everything will be fine - like you said, it's protocol.  Most babies brought into the ER with what looks like a broken bone or something similar would have CPS called because there are a small amount of cases where it needs to happen.  Try not to worry and just know that you take care of him and he is not in harms way.  Accidents happen with every child.

However, I would take your baby to well checks.  They aren't just looking for "mile-stones" in weight and height.  They check the entire body for all sorts of things and I believe it is a necessity.
I agree with texasangel. You probably have nothin to worry about - after all, it's NOT abuse.

However....not going to well-baby visits is a massive red flag. like texas said, they don't just look for milestones, they check for everything having to do with baby's health and if you are ignoring the well-baby visits sometimes that's a reason enough to have CPS involved. sad, but true. Please begin bringing baby to well-baby. it's not going to look good to CPS that you haven't, but hopefully you can start doing it with no problem.

I'm not entirely sure that it is protocol, I hate to say. I think that the type of injury combined with the fact that the baby hasn't been seen at well-baby is enough for them to worry...I know that my daughter (now 2 1/2) is the queen of hitting her head on things and has been to the hospital no less than twice in the last year for head injuries, and not once was CPS called on me. so I think they must be worried for other reasons.

that's not to freak you out, I honestly believe that if you did nothing wrong, lyou have nothing to worry about. but they're going to want to know about the well-baby visits, and they might want a home visit. but hopefully the doctors who told you that it's normal will tell them the same thing and they'll back off.

best of luck and best wishes, I know how scared you must be, but Really I wouldn't worry too much :-). however...do take your little one to well-baby!
I have to agree with Texas and Ashe!  

Well baby checks are extremely important.  Are you not having your baby immunized? That's one thing they do at well-baby checks.  They are also very important for the other reasons previously stated.  

Just answer CPS questions honestly, and do everything they say (or don't do what they say not to do) and you'll be fine.  Chances are they will label it as unsubstantiated or unfounded
I find it strange that they called CPS for that.  Is there more to the story.   When my daughter was young she had a couple of very serious accidents.   The hospital asked how they happened and we explained truthfully.  CPS was never called on us.  Accidents happen and no one is out to take away your baby- they only call when something doesn't seem right.
I'm sure protocols are different for each state.  I also took my daughter in with a dislocated elbow (too much swinging!) and it wasn't called on me.  However, I talked to a friend in Oregon who did the same thing and it was called on her.  

What are well being visits.. are those regular check up with your doctor.. or another thing?

I only ask because this is all so new to me.. I am in Canada so things will look different here but I want to make sure I am fully aware of what society expects us to do in cases of new babies...

CPS involvement could vary widely.. It could easily be a one visit, case closed thing.. or they may have some program they want you to attend... At this point in time, based solely on what you said, you shouldnt have to worry about apprehension unless other stuff is going on.. Apprehension is generally a last resort and the majority of CPS dont go to that .. They generally try to work with the family and as long as the baby isnt at risk in the home then they stay.... I worked at a CPS agency before and there was a client, whos baby was not neglected at all, taken care of well but mom used cocaine a couple times while stressed... So they were working wit hher in that area but was considered low risk.  so they look at each case differently.
Well baby checks are just your typical check ups...usually at 2, 4, 6 mos then yearly
If you've got nothing to hide then don't worry about it.
I bet you'll be fine. I just accidentally broke my daughters wrist while we were running after ducks and CPs is just looking for other signs of abuse. If you don't have anything to hide then don't worry about it.
I didn't go to most of my well-baby checks, not just because he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, but also because no one would take my insurance. That includes family doctors as well.

Today, I finally found a Pediatrician that would. He goes to a well-baby check up next month.

have 2 kids, as for calling CPS it is generally standard at that ER. I have a friend who, when her son was 2 1/2 years, fractured his hand. No one hurt him, he was just trying to be like his dad and grandpa and imitate them fixing a car. He managed to climb up in the car when it was jacked up a bit and fell out of it, fracturing his hand. Even though there were no other signs of abuse, they still called CPS.

I'm glad to finally have found a Pedi and will start going each month until it becomes a yearly thing.

It just feels like life is conspiring against me. I'm already drowing in the guilt of it all and to think that someone might have thought my son was being hurt feels like my heart is just breaking.
I think that is a little uncalled for. If her baby is well and is meeting all milestones those baby checks are not compulsory. They are there if you need help and guidance.
@ Calyx88 - x-rays are NOT definitive and 100%. I broke my thumb and wrist when I was 16 at work and the x-rays showed nothing and the er doc said it was just bruised. When my wrist became even more swollen and bruised I went back. Turns out it WAS broken and the first set of x rays showed absolutely nothing.

@ the OP - Like others have said the wellness appointments aren't just for milestones. Both of my boys have surpassed all their mile stones (75% for height and 60% for weight) but we still go to all of the appointments. Not only for everything to be noted in their medical records but also for their shots, checking their iron levels (which is done at every appointment...I think mainly because I'm severely anemic and they want to make sure the kids aren't.And like the others said above a possible other fracture and no wellness appointments looks very suspicious to people.
I would be a little ticked honestly if someone called CPS on me. Accidents happen all the time. If there were no indications of abuse, I think some people need to mind their own business. That being said, IF CPS was ever called on me for whatever reasons, I would gladly show them that my children are loved and send them on their way. This happened to my inlaws not too long ago, who have 6 children living at home. A neighbor just doesn't like them and called CPS on them. They were upset about it but talked to the guy and he saw that the children were fine, and that the lady who called was a little crazy (which she is). The guy even talked to some of the older children and could not figure out why they were called and he went on his way. I understand there are cases where there is abuse, but sometimes doctors and people and the government take it too far.

As for well checks, it's not mandatory if there is nothing wrong with the child. My son was seen just a few times as a baby and that was it. I only take him to the doctor when he is sick, which is very rare anyway.
Calyx88-

I have told the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have never, nor will I EVER harm my child. I know of no incidents of any type of abuse or neglect towards my son.

BTW, if anyone had been doing that, then why would I bother bringing him to the ER? If he was being neglected and abused, wouldn't I be afraid of being found out? It makes no sense logically to take him in for a pinched thumb but not for getting hurt any other time. Nor does it make sense for me, if there had been abuse going on, to go on a public forum with it. Or, why I would do a follow up appointment with another doctor to have his xray fully evaluated by one who makes it their profession to read and fully interperate xrays.  

I don't know what is going on with that bone. He has shown absoloutely no signs of an injury. No redness, no swelling, no indications of him being in pain. He crawls, makes a fist, and grabs things with that hand just fine. Completely and utterly normal.

I WANT to know what, if anything, has happend to my baby.

I haven't the slightest bit of issue cooperating with CPS. I know I'm telling the truth.
I find that cps makes its hard for any parent not to be afraid of taking there kid to the ER..kids hurt themselves all the time and then the parent has to worry whether or not CPS will be invovled! Also there are people who have religious beliefs against immunizations so while you should take him to his appt, I dont think its a concern for CPS to take your kids away, mabey it is protocol but I do think they are getting a little out of hand especially when they focus on cases that are prob just accidents and there are kids being found locked in cages and no one called CPS on them. I just dont get it..I see pics of women naked in nasty positions on FB with their kids..my kids have seen me naked but not taking a crotch shot with my baby in my arms posting it on FB, to me that is disturbing and needs CPS
Do you mind telling us what state you live in?   I just don't get why they would call CPS for a pinched thumb.  Has your child been injured before?    I hope you get it straightened out.
Remember the ER is just watching out for your child. Think of the abused child who might recieve help because of a CPS investigation. I am sure it is the combination of a physical injury, the appearance (per xray) of a previous physical injury, and lack of well baby check ups that triggered the call. Try not to take it personally but to think of the child who really is abused and needs help. If the ER ignores possible warning signs then the abused child never recieves help.
I have an update!

I went to the specialist who evaluated the xrays. It was NOT a fracture or injury of any sort, but a simple growth plate on his bone.

The xray tech misread the xray and made an unfounded call. I knew he wasn't hurt, my mommy instincts were spot on.

I'm so relieved I could cry!

And for the record, it was not the lack of well-baby visits that had anything to do with it. Though I don't go to all of them, my son recieves regular medical attention when he needs it or I think something is up. The CPS agent who came confirmed this to me. The xray tech was soley responsible because he did not verify with the physician and doctor whether or not it was an actual injury. He just called thinking the worst. This information, per the CPS agent and the medical file, confirmed it.

I want to thank the ladies who were actually kind and understanding. It sickens me to think someone would think for a second my son was ever harmed intentionally in the care of myself or my family.

Take it as a lesson. Xrays are not infalliable. Get a second evaluation by a specialist because there is a good chance that what they think they are seeing, is not necessarily accurate.

To anyone who would think I would ever harm my son: You can suck it!

I'm so damn happy to be proven innocent and that the truth was confirmed I could dance!

If i were you, id march down to that ER and find the x-ray tech, show him/her what the specialist said and tell that tech to shove it where the sun dont shine! Its stupidity like that that cause innocent parents to lose their kids! UGH makes me so angry! Im glad you got everything worked out!
I also think this is funny.  Kids are brought in for far worse things and CPS isn't called.  However, if they are brought in numerous times then nurses and doctors take notice and call CPS then.  Have you had to take your child to the ER or anything more than this one time.  I don't believe they would have called for this one little incident.
So glad that everything got worked out.  I can't even imagine how scary it was for you!  I would be on pins and needles!

I agree that you should file a complaint against the hospital about this.  Even if it's just a letter from you!  He should have at least gotten a second opinion!  

You have to go to your baby visits. They also make sure hearing is right and eye sight and shots etc. They know what to look for. You do not.
There are other things that doc look for like hearing, eye sight shots etc. They are trained to look at things that we may not noticed. We are not doctors so it is best to take baby to regular visits so the baby can interact with the doctor.
@vmvnpv

The only other time he went to the ER was when he was sick, our doctor was unavailable due to it being sunday and urgent care was closed.

We had gone to a regular doctor previously, who told us if his symptoms get worse to take him to the ER.

Which we did per our doctors orders.

That was the only time we ever went.

@cr2009

You do NOT have to go to every single well-baby visit. As the CPS agent said to me "You didn't sign a contract when you gave birth to your son to go to every single visit. It's not a big deal."

Alrighty folks, I think I'm done here. I just needed some support over the entire ridiculous event. You ladies who were supportive and understanding totally rock and are deserving of an award in internet kindness. <3
I am definitely glad things are worked out now. I hope I never have to go through something like that, I can only imagine how you must have felt. Now you can breathe and move on from this! :)
when my dd 11 yrs old was born I had placenta previa and placenta ruptured to say I was in alot of pain. Well I get to the hospital and they start giving me all kinds of pain meds to help with pain. I couldnt stand up or sit down it hurt so bad. well they did a drug test after they gave me all the meds. When I had my dd they rushed her out of the room so I couldnt see her and thought it was because she had died I was only 6 1/2 months preg. well to say i was out of it screaming that I wanted my baby. Then a student nurse came in and asked what I was gonna do about my problem I said what problem she said We took a test and it came back postive for cocaine. I told her she was wrong that I dont do drugs. but they called CPS on me. They went to my appt to take my other dd 1from my husband and we at the hospital saying I couldnt see my new baby that was the first they acctually told me she was alive but in nicu it was horriable. The Dr then decided to run a more accurate test thank god and found it postive for the pain meds they were gi ing me when I first got there.So my point is dont ever have a child at a hospital that is also a school. They appolized the whole time we were there. I walked out of that place cussing and swore I would never go back. I am sorry to say that hospitals are not always right. Btw the hospital was university of Louisville,KY
Hospitals have protocols that need to be followed when calling CPS.    No x-ray tech is going to report something to CPS without going throught the proper channels.  

Also- when CPS investigates they aren't allowed to tell you their findings right then and there.  Reports need to be filed first.  This is required in all states.  
the visits here in Oklahoma are more frequently like at 1,2,3,4,6,8,9,1yrs,18 months, 2yrs, 30months. Idk why but my child I guess is not accidental BC she hasn't ever been hurt. I'm very cautious of her surroundings and what she does.