Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Toothache during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Toothache during pregnancy

I have a horrible toothache and it's been keeping me up at night. I have taken Tylenol, put ice on it, used orajel, but no full relief. Are there any suggestions to help with the pain until I get to the dentist? The soonest they can take me is 1 week from tomorrow! :[
dentist apointsments here are the worst, had expirence with my DH. anyway, its the pregnancy hormone, dont take tylenol or any when you are preg, or ask ur GYN before taking, orajel was on my mind, i heard a home remedy its bite(or put on affectd teeth) a clove, its a herbal spice small dark brownish (mostly u can get from indian/asian stores) hope i spell it rite. it can get relived from toothache.
Tylenol (acetaminophen) is okay to take during pregnancy, just not too much. I'll try your clove idea. Someone also suggested a baby toothing gel, since it would be safe for a baby it should be safe during pregnancy.

I wish the dentist would take me sooner! This is agonizing..
i would talk to your doctor being using any gel..  things that are safe for a baby are not always safe in pregnancy because a fetus that is 5 weeks old is not the same as a fetus that is 30 weeks old, and not the same as a 3 month old baby.  Alot of baby products like that such as sunscreen, tooth medication dont recommend use prior to the baby being  6 months without consulting your doctor...  Hopefully things will get better.. Tooth pain is the worst.
what trimester are you in? in the 2nd trimester you can dissolve an aspirin directly on the tooth BUT call your dentist first to confirm....many dentists don't recommend this, but it will sure kill the pain.

I  mean...definitely call to confirm first about the aspirin but if they clear it you should get pretty immediate relief.

can they not call in some pain medicine for you until you see them? or your primary or OB? I would call my GP or OB if I were you and see if you can get something just until you get in to the dentists. pain meds are actually safer than a lot of the other things that might be used to combat a sore tooth.
ok. im sure it works as it's herbal spice, no side effects. give us update. :)
Called my dentist and told them how much pain I'm in. He can't prescribe pain meds/antibiotic without seeing me so he fit me in at 3:00 today. Thank God! Hopefully he can prescribe me some meds till I see Oral Surgeon next Thursday.. or even just take care of tooth today!
good, girl! no reason to suffer :-)
I was going to suggest to go to a urgent dental care place that's what I had to do, I'm not if they have those where u live (I'm sure they do)

But then I saw that you have an appointment today. I'm glad u are able to be seen and hopefully they can do something for your pain.

I had to have my tooth pulled out it was an emergency thing and ot sicked because I was in sooooo much pain like u. I couldn't eat or sleep. I an now better and hopefully your suffering will end soon.

Tooth pain is the WORST
Dentist was able to prescribe me some pain meds and antibiotics, and called a different oral surgeon for an emergency extraction tomorrow at 2:00 pm. I took meds and antibiotics as soon as I got home and pain is MUCH better! He calle my ob and they confirmed what I am allowed to take. Can't wait for this to be over!! I haven't had an appetite at all today, haven't been sleeping the past 2 nights. So that mixed with pain and pregnancy makes for a VERY emotional and pathetic me.
Thanks for your help ladies!
Tooth extraction was today. Went well, as well as can be expected for removing a tooth... Surgeon used Novocaine to numb the area, since I'm 8 almost 9 weeks pregnant. Now to take it easy for the next 12-24 hours, take my pain meds and antibiotics. Hoping for a better night sleep tonight and looking forward to no more pain after I heal!