Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Twins?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Twins?

Hi Ladies.  I am 5 weeks pregnant.  This is my 3rd pregnancy and I have 1 living child.  I got pregnant on my 2nd round of Clomid (50mg).  I am beginning to suspect that I might be carrying twins.  I wondered if i could get someone's opinion.  Here are the resons I think it could be twins:

-  Positive over the counter pregnancy test 6 days before missed period. (and i know exactaly when i "o'd" because i was doing OPK's.  
-  Stonger pregnancy symptoms than in the past
-  Was on Clomid
-  Twins run in my family (aunts on mom's side are twins....one of the twins had twins.......great grandmother had twins)
-  on 8 DPO...the day i had a positive HPT, got HCG level at 8.1 and then 10 dpo, was 35.  so, quadrupled.....then on dpo 12 was 65.  
-  feel a lot of tightining in tummy
-  i am overweight

so, the biggest thing that makes me think that i may be having twins is that my preg test positive came so early.  does anyone have an opinion on this?  i'd be VERY curious to know what people think.  I have my first appointment with my doctor on April 8th, which will be 8 weeks.  

thank you Ladies!!
None of the things you describe point to the fact you might be carrying twins - thats not to say that you arent carrying twins though.

With a good HPT it is possible to detect HCG 8 DPO and your HCG levels have rising at a typical rate from days 10-12 DPO.

Pregnancy symptoms will vary from pregnancy-to-pregnancy its tough to correlate intensity of symptoms with number of babies present.

Will you be having an US on the 8th?  Best of luck to you and congratulations on the pregnancy!
I am sure the doctor will do an u/s on the 8th with my medical history.  I know, i realize that you can get early pregnancy tests, it's just in the past pregnancies....I haven't gotten a positive until about 3 days after missed period and then all of a sudden, i have one 6 days BEFORE missed period.  and i also was on clomid and just sort of "feel" like there's something more going on in there...ya know?
i know pretty much nothing about these things, so wanted to get some feedback.  :)
It would definitely be exciting if you were to have twins, wouldnt it?  You definitely have a higher chance of twins since you were on the clomid but you cant really determine this until you have your US.

What test did you use that gave you a positive at 8 DPO? Picking up an HCG level of less than 10 mIU with a HPT is quite remarkable. Most of the very sensitive tests detect 15 mIU at the minimum.  If you used a very sensitive test and had very concentrated urine then this is possible and could be why you detected it so early.
I know, that's what i thought.  after i got the positive HPT, i called my dr and did a beta and the beta that same day was 8.1.  it was a generic walgreens ept test.  basically, the generic version of ept at walgreens.  i didn't even use first morning, it was in the afternoon and i had just gone to the bathroom about 30 minutes earlier.  that's why i was so surprised.  i'm not even sure why i took one, i guess i just had a feeling that it would be positive.  literally, 6 days before missed period and only 8 dpo.  who knows?  could the beta test have been off and i would have had more hcg than they thought?
Just wanted to say good luck.
i got a positive preg test 2 weeks early and had all the symptoms in the book right away. Every pregnancy is different.
Betas are usually pretty accurate.  I suppose its possible the lab made a mistake (prehaps diluted by a factor of 2 and didnt take this into account when calculating the final number) but that would be pretty uncommon/rare.  It would certainly make more sense that at 8 DPO your HCG was more in the realm of ~16 mIU (then at 10 days it was at 35 mIU, then 12 days 65 so the numbers would be increasing in a typical manner).  If you HCG was ~16 mIU at 8 DPO a sensitive test would definitely come back positive.  Hard to know what happened but its sounds like things are progressing very nicely.
I am pregnant with twins and most of the "symptoms" you have, I didnt have. I dont think that the things you describe indicate a twin pregnancy....

-  I took test after I missed my period so I cant comment on taking it early.
-  My symptoms were not stronger at the beginning.  In my last pregnancy I felt it in my breasts, but this time I didnt.  I was equally nauseous and sick in both pregnancies not quite the same symptoms
-  I was not on Clomid
-  Twins also run in my family - this was the one thing that you and
-  I didnt feel any tightening in my tummy.
-  i am not overweight

But like the others said, who knows.  Maybe you are pregnant with one, maybe with two!   If you get an U/S at your first appt, you will know for sure then!