Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Typhoid during first trimester: thoughts?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Guys, I'd been having an upset stomach for four or five days until I finally had full-blown diarrhea since yesterday. Today I called my doc and she called me in immediately for a stool sample and a blood test. They both turned out positive for typhoid and I'm 3 weeks along, almost. (Took a pregnancy test on 25th June and it was positive.)

Anyway, my doc says I shouldn't be worried because it's a fairly common epidemic. Esp. in countries of the subcontinent etc where they use natural pesticides and fertilizers, it's very common to have bugs come in salads et al (I'm a huge fan of all the rabbit food, so!). She said typhoid usually causes a problem since it causes dehydration so she's told me to take a lot of fluids and has assured me that it will not in any way harm my baby. And when I asked her if she was 'sure' abotu it, she got kind of offended (lol) and said after raising her eyebrow,

"You have to trust me."

I've bene searching online and so far nothing conclusive for typhoid in first trimester was seen. Saw a yahoo answer that said it's not harmful to the fetus at this stage.

So. I'm on an antibiotic called "Suprax" for ten days. Will see the doc again on 11th July.

Please pray guys! I'm really hoping for a safe and sound baby!
This is the answer I foudn btw.. on yahoo answers.

What is the effect of typhoid on pregnancy during first three months of pregnancy.?
Apart from typhoid U.T.I infection named Pseudomonas also was detected.Both the problems are treated with antibiotics.I Want to know the effect of these problems on pregnancy.

by Brynna

Answer:

Because you are in your first trimester, complications are low. Typhoid fever can be successfully treated and your pregnancy will most likely go on normally. There have been instances of fetal death, but this mostly occurrs in areas where access to hospitals and doctors is limited. There have been cases in the U.S. and the women were treated and carried on with their pregnancies, giving birth to healthy babies.

A pseudomonas infection is quite common during pregnancy and seldom causes major complications. As long as you catch it early and treat it, you should have no problems.

The antibiotics are safe to use while pregnant. Besides, your baby is better off ingesting some antibiotics rather than dying from complications of typhoid fever.

http://in.*****************/question/index?qid=20080707082032AAj8csc
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers