Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Uncommon name for a special girl:)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Uncommon name for a special girl:)

Ok so now that we know that we are having a girl, DH and I have been trying to think of names, not much luck:( I want to name her ASAP so when im talking to her(belly) or about her I can call her by name, I hate waiting untill the last minute to deside. Well we have made a list of a few names that we think are ok, but nothing is really jumping out at me:( DH also wants her to have my middle name (Marie) which I hate because its so common. We are looking for somethink uncommon and unique. But not too hard to say.
A few names we have thought of are Keira and Peyton. I also like Samantha and Aubrey, but they just seem to common now days. DH also likes Cassandra, its ok I guess if I call her Cassie.
If anyone has any good uncommon names for me PLEASE post them:) Im going to start a list at home for DH to look at so we can name her soon. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated:)
Thanks,
*Tabitha*
I am hoping for a boy this time, but I love love love thinking of girl names! lol
My faves...
Ciera
Riley (popular, though)
Quinn
Wyn or Wynn
Lia or Leah
Brielle
Gabrielle/a
Peyton
Aubrey- i like that, too
Delaney
Lainey
Tierney

I like Ciera:)
Im going to add that to DH's list. I really like Gabriella but DH already nixed that one, UGH!!
I like Ryan for a girl! Its different but sweet
I would spell it Ryanne though!
when i was pregnant I had picked out the name Mailynn Marie I don't know of anyone with that name.  

When I get pregnant again and if I have a girl I will use the name Aislinn

I also like

Kieanna
Hailey Marie
My daughter is called Janaya and i get so many comments on that because its so different. And her middle name is also Marie after mine.
I also like Leah. I'm sure sure what i'm having and haven't even really thought of alot of names yet.I like Michala for a girl and Lincoln for a boy.
No matter what you name the little one, someone else will share the name somewhere, too! I don't look at popular name lists. I know "Caiden" has become very popular but it is a name that DH and I have had picked out for FIVE years and has very significant, special meaning to us. So I say screw the name lists and we're naming our boy (if we have a boy) what we want!

So I encourage you to find a name that just speaks to you and means something to you.

Keira is very beautiful! I also LOVE Aubrey. I also like:

Laurel
Sage

Give yourselves time! This is your last baby and only girl. *HUGS-n-KISSES*
I love the name Leah and Fiona. Hubby and I had two girl names picked out (but now he is rethinking them again!) lol. They are Kara and Moriah. I like to spell Kara with a K because it's different. I like to watch threads like this so I can get more ideas! lol. Hubby likes a name one minute, then changes it the next. We have no clue on boys names yet.....Gotta love him though! ;)
well if i was pregnat with a girl....i would name my daughter "KOREY"
Tajha is very uncommon and goes well.... :)
You ladie shave some great names!! I have thought of a few more since I started this post. Addison Marie, hmmmmm. or Hayden Marie ( Thanks Joy! I got that from Caiden, lol) BTW I love the name Caiden:)
Megz- How would you prononce Tajha?? Is it like Tasha?
Taj-ha
Taz-jah

lol hard to write how to say it. Does that help?
I love the name summer or ocean or violet or Ruby or Juliette. Those are some different names. Congrats on your girl!

AP
Hmmm...I had this same problem when I found out I had a girl.....I ended up naming her Adriana...I love it..it fits her perfectly.  DH liked names that were after places...his 3 faves were:

Madison
Brooklynn
London
I also really like Kaelynn and Michaela
My sons name is Caiden and like Joy...we had our boys name picked out before we even got engaged! (which was 6 years ago) So when I was pregnant I noticed how popular it got but I was like ahh whatever, we had it picked out SO long ago and we loved it! And were super picky with names! So I agree-whatever you love, go for it! You can make any name unique too with different spellings and pronunciation :)
I love the following girls names:

Avren
Noelle
Kierra
Caylee

Good Luck!!
I thought of some more-

Ariyana
Aviana

These are two little girls I know via the "blog world" because their mommies blog about them. Hayden is a cool name! Reminds me of that actress from Heroes (I like her). It's not a very popular girl name at all.

I also like the Tajha name someone else put on the list! That sounds SO beautiful!!!
I kind of like Alazandra.
some names ive found hope it helps! good luck :) and keep us posted!
Isabel (isabella)
Erin
Angelica
Paige (page)
Alexandra
Carrie
Ada (aida)
Lindsay
Keely
Shana
if and when fingers crossed, i have a little girl, my favourite name is caitlyn i also like darcy and connie.
sinead, shayla, kai
avie, allanah/allanya
Sorry if there are repeats-I didn't have time to read thru the list, but I love my dd's name, and it is sort of uncommon. (Jordana) I get compliments on her name all the time! Also another name I kinda like for a girl is Tegan (pronounced TEE-GAN), I think it cute and you don't hear it often....
it doesnt matter how uncommon the name now in a few years it will be common.. i searched hard and long for a different name for my daughter and i went with aubree and now i see that name everywhere.. argh!  in the last week in my town 5 babies were born with the name aubree... oh well.. i tried to be different.. lol just go with a name u like who cares how common or uncommon.
although i have to say my daughter is definatly an Aubree it fits her sooo well i named her Aubree Ryan ; )
i was hoping for girl with my last and final pregnancy but i got my little corbin instead! if he wouldve been a girl he wouldve been lydia marie
Tabby -

Some of your suggestions were on my list of ideas, so I'll toss mine out there too:
(you said possibly Cassandra, so what about Cassidy instead? just a thought)

Ainsley*
Annabelle*
Addison*
Avery
Delaney*
Georgia
Genevieve
Hailey
Laurel
Marley
Reagan
Savannah*
Shelby*
Whitley*
Morgan
Madison
Kennedy*
Phoebe
Harper*
Hadley*
Sheridan*
Cassidy
Campbell
Everly*
Lana
Cicely* (like Sicily)
Kendall*
Chaney*

I put a star next to my personal faves ;-)  I think we are going to name our daughter Kendall.  It's about the only thing my partner likes that i can stand (i hated his suggestions lol)

What's your last name (if you don't mind sharing)?  That can make a difference in how it sounds too, how it rolls off your tongue.  It made a big difference in what name combinations worked for us.  We loved Sawyer for a boy (but last name is Brown, lol)...  Personally, I pay more attention to First/Last combination than to First/Middle.  First/Last is how they will be known.  

I try to picture my little jelly bean as a high-powered lawyer or Fox News Anchor or something and think about what she will say and the impact it will have when she sticks her hand out in introduction and confidently says her name.  lol!
I was making this list when I didn't know the sex.  But I'm having a boy so...I hope you like some.

Adelaide
Aitana
Anoush
Areia
Briseis
Ciara
Colibri
Danica
Gia
Hailey
Katriana
Laila
Luna
Shiloh
Sienna
Stella
Laia
Aina
Lyric
Ofelia
Paulina
Mariana
Frida
I LOVE Addison Marie & Hayden Marie, my nephew name is Hayden but I love it for a girl!!

I also like Marlee, and Maryee for a middle names

I like:

Mia
Olivia- my fav.
Gianna- you can call her gigi

I think I have a thing for names ending in an A. LOL
Hailey
Sophia
Reese
Rylee
I wanted to go a little more uncommon the second time around, because my oldest, Madelyn, is not uncommon at ALL ( I go into stores all the time and hear people calling for their 'Maddie's"), and people hear her called Maddy and assume her name is Madison, which is also very popular.

SO, I heard Jordana on a tv show, and wasn't sure if I liked it, because I had never heard it before-but the name grew on me so much! I love it, and I cannot imagine dd with another name, it is so her (originally, she was going to be Makenna, which is also growing in popularity).

Also, DD's middle names are Rylyn and Sage. My oldest's middle name's are Ava and Rose(my girls have 2 middle names)(also very popular 4 years ago, when she was named)

I was also going to suggest Cassidy, but I can see that has already been suggested. A friend named her dd that. I also like Delany, I think that is cute. (Can you tell I love irish names??)

DH and I had the name Hayden Blake picked out if we were to have a boy, we had that picked out in like 2000, when we were dating. Now all the 'ayden'/aiden' names top the lists for boys AND girls(Caiden, Aiden, Jayden, Hayden, Brayden, etc)....what a difference 9 years makes! Whoever said in this post that any uncommon name now, will become popular, is absolutely right. My aunt named her boys Ethan and Logan 18 and 13 years ago, and we in the family had not really heard them much-she felt she had given them unique names. Now all these years later, they also top the lists' for boys names. And that was 18 YEARS ago...time and names preferences can over time....I am waiting for Jordana to jump onto the top 100 girls name list at some point within the next few years....

But classic names, are always beautiful too, and you can never go wrong. I love names like Olivia, Elizabeth (my middle name), and Sophie.

I do hope you are able to find a beautiful name that you love and fits your special little girl to a T. That is how I feel about the names I chose for my girls. Best wishes.
We had considered Kendall for our oldest-but my dh is from the south, so his family pronounces it 'Kindill"-It drove me nuts, so I figured it would never work if they could not pronounce it properly!! But I still love the name :)
Yeah---there's just a difference between a southern short e sound and a northern one, lol.  To a northerner it sounds like a short i.  It doesn't bother me since we are both originally from Alabama (we grew up an hour apart and didn't know it!).

I can't even fully commit to Kendall though... I don't know what I want to do, I'm so darned indecisive!

I really like Cicely too, it's so pretty like Sydney but much more rare.  
Well, my name is Samantha. But I was born in 1990, and I haven't seen too many little girls with that name nowadays.
Yes, I am from way up north (NH) and DH grew up and most of his family is from Baton Rouge LA (deep south). DH still has a hard time with words like 'pen' or 'den'-it sounds as if he is saying 'pin' or 'din'...no offense! I just wanted a name that everyone one could say properly! :)

LOL-Sydney was another girls name we had picked out like 10 years ago when we were dating! I still like that name too :)
The last name is Conlin. Very irish. Maybe I should be looking for an irish name, lol, IDK:(  
I suppose I could make this easy and just name her after me , lol. I do like my name, it took about 20 years but I like it now, hehe.
Scarlet Marie....I like it.
Ohhh, like gone with the wind!! I have always loved here name!! I will have to run that by DH:)
i think keira conlin is lovely
My Name is Amberlee, i very rarely hear it, just a suggestion =)
if we have a girl we are going to name her Kindyl (like a fire kindles) just a little different then Kendall...
Personally I like names that are almost boy names for girls but dh won't agree to any but I figured I'd share...

Raegan
Taylor
Madison
Kennedy

Good luck!
rhiannon
cheyanna
christa
avianna
ayla ( thats one of my girls names)
Myleigh (thats my other babies name)
Macie
vivanna
antionette
lacy
makenna, macayden (2 lil kids i know girl & boy)
my nieces name is diamond capri, nephews is jagger
i have picked out khloe delayne-or-korrah lynn
other names:
willow
karigan (pronounced k-air-i-gan)
tanyell (like danielle with a t)
taryn
staysha
cilia
realynn (pronounced ray-lynn)
rayanne
maygen (like megan but may instead of me)
molliah
kianna
nitalia
falynn
illianna
corissa
cerra (pronounced seir ah)
christalynn
charish
ariella
amberly/amberlee
My DH's daughter(my step-daughter) is named McKemma....with M's instead of N's.....her mom wanted to name her something different and I have NEVER heard that name anywhere else.  Not sure it is my fave name in the world, but hey its different.
if I had a girl I was going to name her Wren.  It means Little Bird in Olde English. I think it's really unique and pretty.
i'm having a boy though, so we're going with Jack! Good luck w/your name search!
Thank you ladies!! You guys are awesome!! I never expected so many responses!! This is way better then then a baby book! The names that you have listed are great. Im hoping to corner DH soon and show him this post. Maybe we'll have a name soon........
Keira Grace is my niece and when they have another child it will be Payton. We are naming our daughter Zephyr and still trying to pick the middle name we are thinking about Phoenix, Channing, Stormy, Isla, Aubrey, Avery, Seang(sang), or even Junior because how often do you ever hear of a girl being a junior we have never.

well hope you have fun picking we are.
Congrats on your little girl!!

(And congrats on finally liking the name "Tabitha"--it's taken me about 20 years to like having it as well. :-)

Kiera is a beautiful name, and not heard too much this side of the Atlantic.

If I end up pregnant with a little girl (and I hope I do), we're calling her either Shiloh, Shalom, or Medora.

Medora comes from Lord Byron's poem "The Corsair".

One of the best suggestions I've heard about finding an unusual name was to look through your favorite novels/poems, and browse the character names.

19th Century novelists & poets are especially great for interesting & unique names.

Before we narrowed it down, here were some others from our list:

Arabella
Blair
Briony
Cecile
Cecily
Christabel
Clarice
Cordelia
Estella
Gatsby
Honoria
Larissa
Leighton
Octavia
Ophelia
Magdelena
Marlowe
Maia
Natalia
Pomona
Portia
Regan
Serena
Sonora
Tatiana
Tourvell
Wilhemina
Viola
Zelda

My best friend, god rest her soul, was named Kylie Michelle. i also love the name Kylie Rae. just a couple suggestions...
i am TTC for a girl :) and i am looking for unusual names as well, i go about it by the meaning, i dont like my name and ever since i found out what my name mean and those of my sister i am a bit angry with my parents, however, my favorites sooo far are:

ophelia
laila
kira (or at least it used to be, so many i see wrote it down :)
trinity
luna

dont just make it a pretty name, make it a meaningful name :)
i heard of a name last night that i really liked....Kenley or Kinley, it was on TV dont remember on what or where but i heard it and was like OOHHHH i like that.....
well  hmm my  two  girls  have  different name  my  oldest is  Shayla Melissa  and my newest is  McKenna Madison  i tend to  pair  different names with  common middle names.

i alway  like Cheyenne   and  Aubrey