Pregnancy 18-24 Community
VBAC at 25

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

VBAC at 25

I had a C-Section (CS) with my last son in 2006. no major complications afterwards. I am trying to get pregnate again and i'm concerned with having to have another CS. I want to have a VBAC. I am located in TEXAS and i have been reading that most doctors/hospitals are against this.... does anyone have information on laws for a VBAC or how to dispute it???
My recovery for a CS was HORRIBLE and LONG! Only reason for my CS was because the baby was to big to decend properly. it was a 27hr delivery which ended with a C-section(CS).
I would just listen to what your doctor says is necessary. You don't want to harm the little one by fighting some kind of law, ya know? I have heard of moms delivering vaginally after a C-section, but it is rare.
KLD44:  a ceserean that isn't performed for life-threatening complications poses a much higher risk for baby and mother. Unfortunately many doctors and hospitals choose not to perform them due to insurance premiums.  There is no LAW saying you can not have one. In the majority of cases a repeat cesarean is NOT necessary.  A c/s is major abdominal surgery for the mother.  It also robs the baby of the necessary compression they normally experience coming through the birth canal that helps to squeeze the fluid out of the lungs.  This can cause respiratory issues.  VBAC's are NOT that rare.  

Doctors don't always give the best information when it comes to VBAC's.  Many don't like to perform them for a variety of reasons...the least of those being the risks.  The risks are actually very minimal in most cases.  The risk of uterine rupture in most cases is less than 1-2%.  In order to assess your risk for having a VBAC, first the reasons for your first cesarean have to be considered.  Was it something that is likely to happen again? If not than you would most likely be a good candidate for VBAC.  

Since you would like to get pregnant again, now would be a good time to start interviewing potential OB's.  Call around and ask the nurses what the doctors policy on VBAC's is.  Also call the head nurse in the L & D units at hospital near you and ask what their policies are. Some hospitals have a specific ban on VBAC's while others only have a DeFacto Ban.  This means that they don't have a specific policy but none of the doctors that have priveledges there ever perform them.

I would also google "ICAN Online" and "the unnecessarian"  Both can give you some excellent information on VBAC's.  One other thing to keep in mind is that about a year ago, the ACOG released LESS restrictive guidelines on VBAC's and even VBAC2's. They now say that a vaginal birth after a cessearan is typical safer for Mom and baby.  Having a c-section increases risks for the mother, respiratory issues in the baby and hinders precious bonding time.  

I say all of this from exerpience.  My first daughter was born in 1996 via emergency c-section due to oligohydramniosis (lack of fluid), breech presentation, and intrauterine growth restriction.  She was 2 days past due and only 4 lbs 15 oz.  These things occured because I was young and didn't take good care of myself.  I'm fortunate that was ALL the issues she had.  Anyway, the reasons for my c-section weren't likely to repeate.  My next pregnancy was at a military hospital and my doctor encouraged a VBAC.  It was successful, I went on to have 2 more VBAC's at another military hospital...one without any drugs.  Then we moved to this small town.  The doctors here do NOT do VBAC's, the hosp can't recall when they've had one, the nurses all have the "once a c/s always a c/s" mentality.  

Fortunately I chose the ONE doctor who was a little more open-minded.  Even though he does NOT allow VBAC's in his other patients he made an exception for me because I had already had 3 previously successful ones prior to seeing him.  I also told him I refused to have an unneccessary cesarean.  I have had 2 VBAC's with that doctor.  

This last pregnancy, the nurse I had in L & D was SO CERTAIN I would end up having another c/s she went so far as to actually PREP me (shave me etc) and got pissy about me having ice chips because she didn't want it interfering with the anasthesia.  Needless to say I proved her wrong.  With both of my  last pregnancies I was induced in order to assure MY doctor would be the one delivering so there were no issues with trying to be forced into a c/s.  

I have had FIVE VBAC's over the course of 10 years.  I have had to fight for two of them.  Legally speaking you CAN refuse ANY medical treatment, including a cesarean.  Do your research and check out several doctors and hospitals.  Just keep in mind that it is possible that you will have a big baby again, so baby's size will need to be monitored and you'll have to be strict about what you eat etc.   Hopefully you will find someone who will atleast allow you to attempt one.  I will note one thing though, as far as the epidural goes, they usually don't give you the full dose.  They need you to be able to feel SOME in case your uterues starts to tear, that way you can let them know something doesn't feel right.  So be prepared for that.  

Good luck!
I am in Texas and my doctor is fine with me having a VBAC.  He said he would not induce me, but would certainly let me go into labor on my own and doesn't think I'll have a problem.

70% of women who attempt a VBAC are successful.
http://www.acog.org/from_home/publications/press_releases/nr07-21-10-1.cfm

http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp070.cfm

This is info from the american congress of obstetrics and gynecology

They list the success rate at 60-80%.  Many other reputable places report the success rate at 75% or more.  
i live in the UK and had a c-section in 2006 aswell i'm currently just over 27 weeks i was given the option the doctors didnt say i had to have another section so im gonna try a vaginal delivery
Thank you sooo much for that! It was so helpful. I am prepared for not having pain meds. I actuyally delivered my 1st son vaginal w/o meds. I prefer it actually. My second son was c-section only because his head was too big to descend the canal. I recently remarried so maybe size of babies will be different...who knows.. But I want the chance.
Glad I could help!  It's also good that you HAVE already had a vaginal birth, when the docs do their risk assessments, a previous, healthy, uneventful vaginal birth is taken into account and helps to decrease your risk level.