Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Very soft cervix?? What could cause this??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

So I went to see my midwife today even though my appt is next. I was having some pretty consistent contractions on tuesday night and she wanted to check me to be sure nothing is happening yet. I am 27w 1d. The heartbeat was great at 140bpm and baby is still head down. She said I'm not quite opened yet...but that my cervix is VERY soft. She said she doesn't like to see that happening until 32-37 weeks. So basically I'm on modified bedrest from here on out and no more sex. (Hubby and I actually haven't done it in a week so I know sex didn't cause my contractions on tuesday) Now I need to watch out for pink or bloody discharge, which I haven't had yet, thankfully.  I have been drinking plenty of water, but I need to drink even more now. My son is 30 pounds, so I have to limit how much I pick him up. My lower back has been really sore the last few days and I have slight pressure on my lower belly and every now and then I can feel pressure down yonder. Other than, everything else is good. I am just worried and don't want to go into pre-term labor. My midwife said if I can just get to sept. 1, we will be in good shape. I will be 36 weeks then.

My question is...is a soft cervix the same as effacement? Or is that completely different? I forgot to ask her while I was there. And what would cause it to soften? Thanks!!
anyone experience this before?
I don't know for sure, but I would think that if the cervix is softening, it would begin to efface.  Hopefully with some light activity and bedrest, things will tighten up a little bit.  
Sorry I dont have any answer for you either:( I have always tried (tried being the key word, lol) to check my own cervix and at always seem soft to me. Unlees it shortens and starts to dialate I wouldnt think there was a problem, but then again I dont have a PHD either:( When is your next appointment?? If its not for awhile you can always call your midwife and ask her. Im sure they get those kinds of questions all the time:) Just get some rest like you were told (good excuse to lay around and do nothing) and listen to your doctor.:) Let us know what you find out...........im curious!
Thanks girls. My next appt. is wed....I just realized the typo in my paragraph! l always do that! I'm sure she will check me again to see if anything is happening. I was just glad she saw me today, kinda last minute. Tabitha, I try to check myself as well, even when I'm not pregnant, but don't really get it. lol. I have no clue if it's soft or hard, but I do remember with my son knowing what it felt like to be dilated. That was different. but that seems to be the only thing I can tell when checking my cervix. I'm clueless otherwise. And I'd rather not check it now if something is going on and irritate it or something.
I will e-mail her and see if she can explain it better to me. I also text her if I need her as well. She is a great midwife and so easy to get ahold of. And yea, good excuse to lay around and do nothing. lol. Well with Jeremiah, it's a little tricky, but I try my best. =)
you may want to ask over in the maternal and child forum.  I know there is an L&D nurse there that knows a lot about stuff like this and at least one person with a stitch.
Oh no, I'm sorry you are going through this. All I know about the cervix softening is that is what my doctor is waiting for my cervix to do so I guess it can lead to effacement and I am sure that is not good at 27 weeks. Get as much rest as you can we don't want the baby coming early. Keep me posted on how things go at your next appointment. Good luck sweetie!
kjbutcher, thanks! I did post it over there as well and got a couple of responses that were helpful. I am hoping nothing more happens with my cervix and I am drinking water like crazy. So much that I am in the bathroom constantly. ahh!

Tasia, thank you girl! Oh wow...you are so ready to pop and your cervix is still the same? You poor thing! He can't stay in there forever!! lol. =) I am resting as much as possible. Thankfully Jeremiah sleeps late in the morning which allows me to take a nap until 10:30am. I couldn't function without it. I will definitely keep you posted after my next appt. I know the baby is head down and sometimes feel pressure from it. I wonder if the baby is just getting bigger and bearing down causing my cervix to change...hopefully he/she won't keep that up. Just 8 or 9 more weeks this lil bugger needs to stay put.
As long as nothing happens over the weekend, I am scheduled to go see the OB that works with my midwife (I go there for my ultrasounds). She is going to check me and see what steps they need to take for this. Strict orders to lay on my side as much as possible and of course drink drink drink. If the contractions are 3-5 min. apart in an hour, then I am to head straight to the hospital.  Otherwise, can't do much. I keep telling baby to wait and it's not time yet!!! I am hoping it's just because this is a 2nd pregnancy and I am just experiencing BH more frequently, but because of the cervix being soft, my midwife is very concerned.
Well if things go according to plan I will be being induced tomorrow! So I might have my independence baby after all!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers