Pregnancy 18-24 Community
WBC Count in Early Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

WBC Count in Early Pregnancy

OK, so after 3 miscarriages in the last year, I am a nervous wreck with this pregnancy.  Just wondered if anyone knows what this could indicate:

One week ago, I had a CBC with platelets done because I am on Lovenox.  Everything looked good.  Only thing was that my white blood cell count was 11.7.  Now this made me nervous because I thought maybe it was an immune response causing the miscarriages....like my white blood cells were attacking the embryo.  I know it's normal for the WBC count to increase, but wasn't sure how much.  Perinatologist said don't worry.

Ok...fast forward to today.  Had another CBC with platelets again to monitor for Lovenox.  Everything was normal.  Even my WBC count.  It went down to 7.3!!!!!  OK, so this could be a good thing, but I'm nervous.  Could it be bad that in one week it went down that much?  Does that mean that I'm going to miscarry because my body isn't recognizing the pregnancy anymore?  Is that why my immune response has dropped??  

Soooo nervous.  Just looking for a straight answer.  I put in a call to the peri, but it will seem like forever until she calls.  

I don't know...I always assumed that with new pregnancies there was a point at which the body went "wait, what the heck is this?!" (the elevated WBC) and then I always assumed it either goes "get out get out get out" (WBC elevate further as miscarriage occurs) OR it goes "oh, okay" (WBC return to normal and the pregnancy continues normally).

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but that's always how I kind of pictured the implantation period. I'm tired today so I could just be delirious and making absolutely no sense....but maybe that's it, lol.
I am hoping that is the case.  But the other scenario scares me.  Like basically, has the pregnancy already decided it's no good so my white blood cells aren't fighting anymore?  
No I would imagine that if the WBC are dropping that's good because I don't think they would ever "stop fighting" if they found something in your system that they thought needed to be expelled or fought off....but I'm not sure. I hope your peri calls you back soon!
I have read up on this and your WBC dropping is a good thing!!!!!!! I have you in my thoughts and prayers all the time, I know how much worrying you are going to be doing, but try and take it easy and relax! You don't need the extra stress!!!!! Keep on calling your peri until you get an answer!!!  ((((HUGS))) to you... Michelle
Gosh, Michelle.  I hope so. I am so freakin scared I can't stand it!  I just hope that it doesn't mean that it already "died" and I'm waiting to miscarry.

UGhhhhhhhhhhh.....this is so scary.

Gosh, I hope my peri calls soon.  

Thanks guys.  You guys are awesome.

Hugs to both of you
Oh Kristen...I really hope she calls you soon so you don't have to wait much longer! I'm hoping that everything is good and this baby is as sticky as it can get!!
Well, peri called back.  She thinks this is nothing to worry about at all....PHEW.  She said that she considers 11.7 and 7.3 to both be within normal range and she doesn't feel that it's a drastic drop.  So, now I'm just trying to relax and hope that this is a sticky one!
yay!!!!! Here's hoping for super-stickiness....good luck momma!
Everything sounds great to me!  I understand your nervousness, I was a wreck the whole time I was pregnant with Ryder.  But it is normal for your WBC count to fluctuate a bit during pregnancy, and I think it happens primarily during first trimester.  As long as it's in normal range, your fine.  When your body is fighting an infection (or if it was indeed attacking the embryo) I believe it would be a much higher count then that.  And honestly, in my experience, OB's (I never had an RE) don't pull any punches.  If things don't look good, they are pretty up front about it.  Congrats hon, sounds like you got your sticky one!!!!  (((((hugs))))