Pregnancy 18-24 Community
WHY do animals love pregnant women?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

WHY do animals love pregnant women?!

So most of us already know that animals instinctively know when a woman is pregnant. They're more in-your-face, snuggling with you, wanting to constantly be on you or around you... but does anyone know WHY? Why do they love pregnant women so much?

My cat has gone berserck, like I'm his new catnip toy or something. He kneads me to death with his paws (and he is NOT declawed, ouch!), purrs like crazy, buries his head in my neck, etc. Do pregnant women give off a scent they can smell and it reminds them of their own mommies? That's the only thing I can think of.
Oh my gosh I so agree. Today there was a stray dog on my street and everyone was trying to coax it over so we could read the tag. It wouldn't go near anyone, but as soon as I walked outside it came and jumped up on me. Then it sat on my feet and leaned it's head into my legs. It was so cute.
I wondered this myself.

I have a minpin. She's gonna be 10 years old in august. The last few years she's become my dads dog. When I call her she runs to my dad and jumps in his lap.  When I was pregnant however she would actually come to me when I called her.  Now that I'm not pregnant she is back to her old habits never comes to me always to my dad.  

It is really weird, cats also know when someone is very sick, they have great instincts.
My cat has been all over me with this pregnancy, last time he didn't seem any different but he was a kitten back then, now he is 3 years old. I love it, he usually isn't a very snugly kitty so this is nice for a change.
My dogs have been all over me, very cuddly and one of them sleeps on the floor on my side of the bed.  Its really cute.
I think that they smell the change in hormones and at least for dogs maybe they feel like you may need more protection.
I don't know but its really sweet.
When i lived at home, i fell pregnant, it wasn't for very long, i had miscarriage in middle of first trimester. This was last year but my dog and cat use to come round me all the time. My cat would snug up to me literally 24/7 it was cute and my dog use to jump on my bed and snug up with me and cat too. It was nice whilst it lasted lol
its funny that you posted this, i have noticed that my 2 female dogs seem to "know" they dont walk on my belly anymore or jump. my male dog is retarted he still tries to sit on my stomach! they are all pugs....so lap dogs. I told my husband the other day I think Lola and Bella know!!
i think its instinct. they sense that you are pregnant and stay close to protect you and comfort you. its a pack instinct i think. just like how wild herds have their young and old in the middle of the pack when being attacked. they know you're carrying something important. dogs can also sense when there will be an earthquake. many animals sense natural disaster coming their way so they can find shelter or run. and as you are their pack leader of course they would want to protect you. we have many dogs on our farm and when i walk around outside at night two of them are not three feet from me when i walk. they hear the coyotes and they create a barrier around me. they didn't do that last spring when i wasn't pregnant. hopefully the extra affection from your pet isn't too much to handle. perhaps get them a new chew toy to play with and try to distract them for a little. or play with them and maybe they'll get tired and head out for a nap. or you can always close the door and turn up the music so you dont hear them calling for you. well, in any case i think its amazing that they do this and dont mind the extra lovings.
I have two boxers and every time I come in the door the do a crazy dog dance and jump all over me. I think they know about the bun.
So I have 2 cats. Both females, one is 2 years old, the other is about 5 months old. Ever since getting pregnant, the older one almost ignores me, she seems a little jealous or pissed off at me. lol As for the young one, she never used to like me and now she harasses me non-stop. She kneads like mad and man does it ever hurt! She has fresh kitten claws! But I have no idea why animals seem to like pregnant women... maybe I'll do some research today, aint got nothing better to do.
Also, my landlords dog LOVES me right now. He is all over me every chance he gets. It's weird!
Thanks for sharing all of your stories! I have to agree- maybe it is a protective instinct as well. My cat is a male, a little over a year old. He's a Siamese and already very, very sweet and cuddly (common misconception about Siamese cats- they are actually very social!).

But I've definitely noticed a difference. He'll be sitting with my husband and just STARE at me while purring. When I look over and make eye contact, he'll get up and smother me and purr like crazy. I love it! I think it's so fascinating.
Do you know what!  I think i'm the complete opposite.  My cat used to sleep with me and my boyfriend all the time, she'd cuddle up with me on the coach, and follow me everywhere, I'd even open up the bathroom door and she'd be sitting outside waiting for me.  

But ever since i found out i was pregnant, she really doesn't come near me, when i'm walking through the house and come across her path,she'll run in the other direction.   And usually waits till i get out of bed to go and cuddle up with my boyfriend.  

I'm not sure what that is all about.
OMG... lol.... I was just telling my husband this!  My boy cat is my stalker!  He gose EVERY where I go.  An if I go in my bed room or the bath room and close the door it just breaks his heart!  He cries for me lol.  The big ninny.  lol.  My cockatiel and my other cat are girls.  And they have not wanted to have much to do with me since I have been pregnant.  Its strange.  Anita
I LOVE my Siamese girl. She's 18 months old and always have been a loving kitty...but lately she's been all up on my lap. She wasn't like this during the summer but I think she just wants me for my heat.
Lol! Im having this same thing with my cat.