Pregnancy 18-24 Community
WIC vs. Food Stamps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

WIC vs. Food Stamps

I was wondering what the differences are. I know they are different, but one of my friends on facebook status said this:

"So im in 7-11 getting my morning coffee and this chick who is dressed up, talking loudly on her fancy cell phone, buys sodas with a food stamp card, then drives away in a new honda with expensive rims. WTF?? Great job America!"

Now however...yes this kind of stuff does make me angry because they get free food and drive around in nice expensive cars wearing nice clothes! I dont think thats fair. If you can afford to drive a new honda WITH rims then why are you on food stamps? Anywho there was a comment on her status that somewhat bothered me...
it said..."i hate seeing people on WIC/food stamps at the grocery store with designer clothes, fake nails and hair! People pretending to be poor so they can have material things!"

Is WIC in the same category as food stamps? I thought WIC was something that pregnant women and children up to 5 qualified for unless you were super rich? My husband and i both work and we have more than enough money after all our bills are paid to buy what we want...but we had talked about getting WIC.  I didnt think WIC was a "poor" people thing!?
YES.. I stand by what I say 100%.. If adults have fallen on hard times and are already in the welfare system,. they should NOT have more children.. It burdens the rest of the blue collar working Americans that bust our a$$es to make ends meet and do not take help..I think it is downright irresponnsible and selfish for people to continue procreating when they knowingly cannot support another child.. If your religious background doesn't believe in birth control, then I can GUARANTEE it also states that sex isn't for pleasure, but for procreation purposes ONLY, so these people can abstain from sex if they are already in the system until they get a J-O-B.. It would be against their religion to have sex just for pleasure anyway.;..
WIC only provides for certain things. Formula, milk, cereal, bread, peanut butter, baby food, fruits and veggies. And some more that I can't think of.

Where as Food stamps is a card given by a the state based on the income of the house hold,# of kids, rent,etc. Thus can buy almost any food item.

As for is one or the other is for poor people. I'm not to say. I'm not rich nor am I poor but I've considered getting food stamps to help us pay for food in times when things like a new(used) car is needed bc ours is on its last leg. Or when my check isn't as high as was expected.
I do know they asked most woman if they'd like wic when they get pregnant. My sister fairs very well but still has WIC bc she has 3 kids.
Wic is a program for pregnant woman & children up to 5 yrs old.  It is a nutrition program that councels you on healthy eating.  They will help moniter your weight during pregnancy, as well as check for things like... Iron, sugar & such.  When your baby is born they are automatically in the wic program too.  they will do small healthy baby checks in between doctor visits.  They help provide formula if needed.
    The food that you get vouchers for is stuff like milk, cheese, eggs, fruits & veggies.  You CANNOT but stuff like soda, candy & junk food like you see at the gas satation (your example post)  I think Wic has income guidelines too, but they are more flexible than the food stamp ones because they wish to EDUCATE people on healthy eating.  It is too bad that it is cheaper to feed your family off a dollar drive through menu than to provide a healthy meal.
    It is a shame to see people abusing these programs because there are so many kids out there that ARE hungry.  Such a shame.  Perhaps the items were for someone else?

A few years ago, I worked for an elderly woman who got food stamps.  (it was a program that employed people to do errands for disabled)  I did her grocery shopping for her & always felt weird that I was using a card and carring a nice bag & driving a nice card. I always wondered what people thought.   Really, the groceries WERE for HER, but she bought REAL groceries, not junk food.  
I have WIC, but not food stamps.  WIC, while pregnant, gives you juice, fruit, milk, cheese, eggs and bread, then when you baby is 6 months old, it all gets taken away, and is just for the baby. now I only get baby cereal, baby food and formula..

I think its very different.  I go to the grocery store and seriously stand behind 5 people using there bridge card. Everyone has one these days, it really drives me nuts!  and whats even more retarded, is that gas stations are accepting them now. like seriously, what can you get at a grocery store for food for your family? Thats what its for isnt it?  My sister has one and she gets like 500 dollars a month! freaking ridiculous.  and she goes to gas stations to buy sodas and chips and jerkey.. wtf!!!  I would love a bridge card, but they wont give me on :( lol.. But i wouldnt abuse it if I did have one.  
WIC isnt for "poor" people, its just to help, make sure your getting the nutreints you need while pregnant, and your baby gets what they need.  they dont say here your poor have this WIC card. they are thinking that, if we have this organization, then it will help, babies being born more healthy, and help mommys eat more healthy when pregnant, cause alot of woman(including myself) dont eat very healthy while pregnant.
I would also like to add that I am the only one who works in my household I make 10.80 per hour I also go to school and I have two children and a husband. I shop at walmart for my girls and they still 'look' nice and I make sure that I do my own hair and it 'looks' nice...my hubby goes to ross and other places to get polo shirts and 'nice' clothes at a discount price..yea me and my hubby have jordans and nike shocks that we buy at the swap mart for 50 bucks my car is not brand new but its clean, so I kinda hate to hear about how 'nice' a person looks and shouldn't be on food stamps...are you supposed to look poor because you don't have a lot of money? I beg to differ..I know some do abuse it but I don't have my family looking crazy just because we don't have a lot we make do with what we have and get a few things extra when we can..not everything is how it 'looks' sometimes you cant judge a book by its cover..Not to say this lady wasn't an abuser of the government but I just wonder how many people have said that about my fam and have no idea how much we bargin shop to look appropriate
NO WIC IS NOT THE SAME! lol trust me i didnt want to use wic because yes people do look down on those people that use food stamps and have all these things because that is insane and ridicuolous. but wic is totally different its only for pregnant women and women with children in a way its mainly to support your child, and of course you while the child is in you and make sure you get the nutrients..but after you have the child they will give you these check vouchers for baby formula baby food, i believe other things once the child gets older. it isnt even considered the same as food stamps. i dont have a problem with people that use food stamps though. but WIC is something good to get on!
    Maybe I am out of the loop, but I thought you lost your job.  Have you applied for food stamps since that happened?  Is that what a bridge card is???

I agree that wic isn't for "poor" people.  Most pregnant women I know are on wic.  

I feel Food stamps should be used as a temporary supplement to help a family while money is tight, until they can better support their imcome.  It is too bad that they are accepted at gas stations for soda & such.  I think maybe they are because that gas station owners get more business that way????  Maybe they were originally accepted because some people dont have grocery stores close to where they live & that way they can pick up things like milk & juice easily....

Sorry to take over this thread to talk to someone directly.

To ALL:  What do you think about drug testing being manditory for food stamp applicants?
Sorry if you took that personally, thats not what was intended.  I think that was just said because i mean come on, fake nails fake hair, driving a honda, thats ridiculous.... And I know theres times when I get judged.  I mean I dont have food stamps, but I have WIC, and most of the time, I dont get dressed or do my hair just to go to the grocery store, so i people prolly really think im "homely" looking or fit in the catergory. i have nice clothes and expensive shoes, and i know how to do my hair and i do my own nails, Just only for special occassions. I dont work, im a full time mommy, and theres times where i dont even leave the house for 4 days at a time. so I dont do all that until I need to, so I can only imagine what people think when i go to the grocery store.  Dont take things to heart so easily, unless its targeted right at you :)
but if you consider food stamps then get it..because its not a bad thing at all.. i was going to be a stay at home mom and the wic lady told me i should consider it because it would be easier on the hubby and plus it would be way to expensive and a waste of time to pay for our child in day care because my whole checks would go to it pretty much..but either one is fine! and they are very helpful if you are in need of them!
oops that wasnt supposed to be towards you destini lol sorry!
Yea I did lose my job, but HUbby still works, and we make enough money to feed ourselves. i wouldnt take money from the government unless I truely needed it.    

But yes i 100 % agree that drug test should be mandaotry. it was a funny "like" on facebook once but i was like umm thats not funny, thats true lol
Very well said!
i personally think drug testing is a good idea for that! because you know there probably is people out there that do drugs and cant get good paying jobs because they do those drugs and cant pass a ua for work!
I agree that you can't judge a book by its cover.  I think we all meant the extreme look of having money....  Coach Bag, big fancy rims on car... but then again, maybe the person had thos things BEFORE they fell into harder times.

I have also seen hard times when I did not have a place to live with my child.  We were on food stamps for awhile too.  Even if you work hard it is very dificult to support your family.  A hard working mother like yourself is EXACTLY the one that deserves to get help from programs that are available.  Sometimes the paycheck isn't enough.  Sometimes people loose their jobs & have trouble finding new work.  
I would probably apply for WIC but I don't meet the Nutritional Risk category they describe in the eligibility requirements. Plus, we can afford healthy groceries. It is tight right now but we can manage. It would be nice to have a little extra help.

Any abuse of these programs is a shame but it is also unavoidable. I just hope the people that really do need assistance can get it. Especially pregnant women and children.
i thought we made a little too much for the requirements but they didnt even look at how much we make they just asked for a check stub from me and my hubby and saw how often we got paid. they wouldnt deny you. and it is very helpful especially if you wanna try and save a little extra money for when the baby comes..if you do want it though i would apply because they usually never deny pregnant women unless its you make a pretty decent living and its obvious you dont need the help from wic
Here is the problem with the drug testing...
A lot of the folks that collect food stamps and are on drugs also have children. So, if you take away the food stamps then you might hurt the children involved. It's a tricky situation! If they could figure out how to protect the children then I would be all for it. Sadly, there are a lot of kids in neglected situations that don't get help unless they are beaten.
What about the Nutritional Risk category? Don't you have to be anemic or underweight or something to qualify? That is what the website says.
Ok I don't want u ladies thinking I have thought bout getting on food stamps to abuse it! Me and df both have good jobs and work very hard. But with my job they "adjust" my pay rate depending on weather or nt I get over time. If I get over time they will "adjust" my 40 hour pay to pretty much whatever they see fit. Ik there is suppose to be a method to their maddness but we have yet to see it. My check goes to all the bills and dfs goes to food. But df had A LOT of debt that his ex wife made and since she has past its all on him so his paychecks get garnished. Plus the girls are on his insurance. Tho they are medicare as well. So sometimes when he gets paid their just isn't enough to buy the healthy groceries. We don't want to but feeding our children healthy food(bc chips and junk would not be on our list ) is more important to us then our pride.

And if I get pregnant ill get WIC. I think its wonderful! :)
I think their should be drug testing. And if its found then something done for the children being born/raised in those situations!

And my sister is very healthy, not under or over weight and has WIC. I'd check with your WIC ppl Spike.
Sorry I just hear so many being judgemental on many people...I get judged on my skin make less money because I'm a woman and b/c I use foodstamps..so whether I look poor or whether I look nice I get judged :{ but it's ok I have learned to deal with it and YES YES YES people should get drug tested while on it!!! I would take one in a minute if it meant making it harder for people to abuse the services
nope! im perfectly healthy..the website is stupid if it says that lol! because when i went in and talked to the lady she asked nothing at all about how much we make a month..just call the WIC number for where you live and set up an appt and just go in there and talk to them. they will mail you some information that you will have to fill out just how often you get paid and how much you make..and they will tell you what to bring with you. but trust me they wont deny you. we make about 3000 a month and got approved. the only reason i applied now is so that once the baby comes i can get the help with the formula and baby food because i wont be working.
I don't think people on food stamps should "deny" their children the occassional chips, cookies & junk, but it shouldn't be part of an everyday diet.  I just think there should be a limit to how MUCH of junk food can be purchased.  It also shouldn't be allowed at gas stations because it is too expensive there, cutting into the amount that can be used for healthy food.

All kids eat some junk.  (especially me)
yes WIC is a very good thing and I will tell you this if a person is wealthy they will look down on you anyway if they are good in their heart...Wic and foodstamps should be for people who work and don't make enough and I think encouragement for school training should be suggested..its pretty much the only way to make more money..Also if you are unemployed you should receive benefits but I think they should have people to help you look for a job some people just don't know where to look
I probably should say nothing at all.. But, seeing some of the posts on here kindof disgusts me.. This is what is what's wrong w/ our society.. I feel that these programs are great FOR PEOPLE IN TEMPORARY NEED...I think drug testing should be mandatory to receive ANY assistance.I also think they those on assistance should have to prove they are looking for work (signed papers from interviews/applications) I think FAR too many people abuse the system and it makes me sick. I think if you are already IN the system and have a child, birth control should be mandatory.. Any OTHER children conceived WHILE on ANY assistance shouldn't be covered.. People should NOT be consistently allowed to have more children when they have to depend on tax payers to pay for the children they already have.. Abusing the system is disgusting and ANYONE doing so should be ashamed of themselves.. The assistance should be MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO OBTAIN in my opinion.. I would LOVE free stuff.. Who wouldn't?? Things are tight.. But MY child is my responsibility.. Not the governments..

I know I got a little O/T, but as Americans we have a responsibility to educate ourselves and our children on how things work. How having a family takes careful planning and an income to support said family. For some reason our country has become one that has an attitude of entitlement and it's just wrong..

I think people receiving assistance is a GOOD thing IF they truly need it and can prove they do. It should be there.. People DO fall on hard times, and as a society we NEED such programs and assistance available.. I think many Americans need to learn that affording a manicure, tanning, or a new "ride" or "kicks" do NOT qualify as emergencies OR a person in "need.."  Those people just need a budget and a freakin' reality check...
I should really read about WIC! I was going to apply while im pregnant but i didnt think i would meet the requirements...anemic or underweight LOL! Im neither and we have money to buy healthy groceries so i just figured id wait until after the baby is born. I plan on breast feeding until 7 or 8 months and then its on to formula...am i allowed to get on WIC even if im not breast feeding and get formula so that i have it stocked when the baby is ready for it lol...or would that be considered cheating the system?
Thanks! I will look into that. Every little bit helps these days. I'm not working anymore starting next week. Eek!
yea I mean if you just buy junk food I think it wouldn't matter if you were on foodstamps or not they would prob feed theyer children that stuff anyway..as a mother I think its important to feed your kids healthy stuff!!! Kids will eat celery and tomatoes if you make it a lil fun or maybe with peanut butter, cheese or small amount of ranch.. my kids love celery slices..but yea I let them have teddy grams or a cookie just not everyday and if parents can't be responsible in doing that then...IM MEAN WTH!!! They are just supposed to know!!!!!
wow.  to say that people who cannot afford children should be forced onto birth control and future pregnancies & children should not be covered is very harsh.

I feel that most of us wouldn't be here if our parents had waited until they could afford to have children.  What if a hard working person never has enough money to have a child?  Should they be denied that oppurtunity?  I don't think so.

Primarily, it IS th parents responsibility to raise a child.  But that is to teach it morals, right & wrong & provid love & support.  Remember they saying that it takes a village to raise a child?    It is EVERYONES responsibility to help the less fortunate.  We pay taxes to help.  Someday you might need that help too.
Well said!!!!  u took the words right out of my mouth!
Also some religions don't believe in birth control, or birth control can fail.  If those children arn't covered it justs hurts the child.
Seriously!! Wow these are the people I'm talking about! When me and my hubby both worked everything was fine but being in the heat treating field jobs were cut back so he was let go..we need the foodstamps we get and I do not feel ashamed about it. WE ARE going to have another child and I STILL know that things wont be like this forever, he WILL find work because he is just that type of guy and then we won't need assistance anymore because he makes waayyy more than I ever could but for those who can't afford them but want them it doesn't mean that they can't! Thats just crazy!
so if they are married and the birth control fails..then what..they have to get an abortion because you don't want to help them?
When DH and I first got together, I was in college, and I worked part time at a gas station ( I thank God that I was able to move up the ladder from that job lol). While working there I was SHOCKED by the number of people using EBT cards (food stamps)! There was this one gentleman that made me sick, he'd come in a huge fully loaded SUV (the kind you would see in rap videos) he'd have a "grill" (those ugly things that look like blinged out braces lol) he was an obvious drug dealer and would have like 5 or 6 kids with him. He'd use food stamps to let them get whatever they wanted, slushies, junkfood, etc. then he'd pull out an ENORMOUS wad of cash to buy the most expensive cigarettes we carried, and cigars (for drugs I am sure). Drove me crazy!

I absolutely think that the government should drug test in order to receive ANY type of benefits, including unemployment. I understand what you're saying Spiket, but if the parent in question fails the test, wouldn't that alarm CPS that the child might be neglected or abused? I wouldn't want to see them go hungry, but I definitly wouldn't want them to be exposed to that type of enviroment either. I'm not against any family that needs assistance, but I think there needs to be a better way of sifting through who NEEDS help, and who TAKES help, just because they feel entitled to it. Just my two cents... :0)
I agree that's insane! I want a child of my own! Altho it can be tough with just dfs children I still want my own child an I should not be denied my RIGHT to have a child bc it might result in us needing food stamps for a few months until he goes back to school to get a CNA! That's crazy!
I agree with you. BUT, i have seen the system fail kids with drug addict parents. In NC a premature baby with short gut syndrome from their Mother's cocaine use still goes home with that Mother. If she isn't on WIC, medicaid and getting food stamps...guess who suffers the most? I don't know why DSS doesn't get more involved in those cases but they don't. It is different in every state what constitutes removing a child from the home. But, I'm guessing that is why drug testing isn't mandatory yet. It is brought up over and over again but still hasn't become the law. It is not a black and white issue...it's very grey.
Many many people who are in the systen DO have JOBS that they go to work at everyday.  Sometimes the money just isn't enough.  Pregnancy happens.  A child shouldn't go hungry, no matter what.  

I have been in hard times before & gotten help.  My situation has since changed.  I am now married & living comfortably.  My husband & I work hard for what we have.  We also work hard to pay taxes to help less fortunate, the way it should be.

I totally understand that this is how you feel.  You definately have a right to your opinions & a right to state them.  I commend you for standing up to what you believe.  Unfortunately, a lot of people DO abuse the system.  However, if it was taken away, so many deserving people would suffer.
I have to agree with LAURAB78 you took the words right out of my mouth! I think how you stated it is appropriate as well. I dont think people should preproduce and try to have more kids if they are already on welfare. It just adds to poverty. Why cant you wait until you dont rely so much on foodstamps to feed your family to have another baby? I think foodstamps should ONLY be used in times of need! NOT FOR YEARS ON END!
So what about the current economic condition where so many have been laid off for over a year or so...steadily looking for work? I'm not saying that they have to try to have kids during that time but I mean if they already have kids they should be cut off because they haven't got hired due to the economy? I see so many who are struggling because of the economy right now..they used to have good jobs and ow rely on unemployment to make ends meet! Thank God I got a job or we would have been stuck out because we don't get unemployment due to the severance pay he received but it didnt take me long to get a job but its taken him longer i dunno ladies it seems like some of you are putting many in one box..not every situation is the same...many work hard and provide for their kids the best way they can...I pray none of you fall on hard times where you need those services for YEARS on end
Let me use my very own sister for example. she is 22 years old, was with  man that was 25ish.  neither one of them worked, or was looking for a job, they lived with his parents.  then all of the sudden she gets pregnant, has a son.  gets in the system. goventment gets them an apartment, not just an apartment, but a 3 bedroom, 1 and half bathroom, full basement apartment, for 30 bucks a month (use to be 18) cause the government paid for most of it.  got on food stamps got about 2 something a month.  and then a year later got pregnant again.  had a daughter.  started getting 590 a month in food stamps, even paid for them to get a cheap phone line.  AND started getting cash assistance, where she had to do community service for that money.. one day decided she didnt want to do it anymore. so she just quit.  may i remind you neither one of them has jobs or has looked.. her boyfriend gets alil money here and there for helping his dad, but does not put it on there papers, so it dont exists.   my sister got a job at a nursing him, worked for a month, got everything cut, then got herself fired and got it all back..

This is what i hate!!!!
I'd also like I add that I pay taxes so if it comes down to us needing help I feel I deserve that help. I pay for it after all. And I pay knowing I'm helping drug dealers but I also know I pay helping woman/men with children who have lost jobs and such!

Spiket- our CPS in nebraska is a joke! Ik ppl who don't ever see their children who have younger siblings watch them and care for them and ppl who have had 3+ chances yet still have their kids. While my fiancé had his taken from him bc a person 8 hrs away told CPS he hadn't seen them and he wasn't even given a chance to asure this person. When CPS took his children! And we are just getting things settled a year later!
unfortunately, there are many bad examples like this.  But there are also a lot of people who do try & work hard that really do need a bit of a boost.  

If it was taken away from your sister, would her childern suffer?
Ok now that is a messed up situation but because I don't want their kids to suffer b/c of their wrong decisions...and thats why I pay taxes..that i really messed up though
sorry I meant that is really messed up!
I wasn't trying to start a debate. Perhaps those of you getting angry with me should re-read my post.; I think we NEED  the system and it should be there for families in temporary need. I do NOT think it is anyone's RIGHT to have a child.. Especially if you already have children and already IN the system.. If you truly want a child, you should PLAN for it and have a savings..You aren't automatically entitled by birth to procreate.. Kids are expensive..I am not trying to start a heated a debate.. I was just stating my opinion. I refuse to defend myself to people who clearly didn't read my post accurately. I never said I don't want to help people who need help..
I agree. The system fails children here too, its disgusting. I guess an ideal solution would be put the money saved from denying those who fail the UA towards strengthening CPS, DSS, all the programs that are allowing children to fall through the cracks. Even if the child passes as "healthy" keeping them in that type of enviroment will more likely than not cause history to repeat itself.

Vacuum: The senario you laid out isn't the alarming one thats raising this country's deficit millions of dollars a year. Its the ones that choose NOT to protect themselves or have no intention of having a financial plan, and pop out babies with several different men, because they know they can sponge off the tax payers dollars for however long they want.
I think maybe what the ladies are saying is that it should not be avaible to woman/couple who use their children as their jobs.

Ex: my friends sister worked and was laid off. She then had her baby and didn't look for a job. Got food stamps and child support. She lives at home. Her mother and younger sister buys EVERYTHING for her and her baby. When she did get a job her food stamps were cut. So she got fired and looked for a less paying job. She also claims she pays rent and utl. She doesn't do either. She does all this so her child support and food stamps stay high. She also doesn't allow her babies father to see his daughter bc hed have to pay less child support.

These ppl shouldn't have more kids bc they are using their kids like paychecks.

Are those the ppl u mean?
I know a girl who has 6 kids only two fathers but she wont get a job because she wants them to suffer for not being with her so they pay the max in child support, also she get a WHOLE LOT in food stamps and TANF-cash assistance and three of the are disabled not real bad but one is blind and the other has hearing issues and something with the other one but she get ssi for them and housing and she has a big white new bronco and yes her hair and nails done and is always on myspace talking about I got money!!!! UGHGHGH Then she gets a job like at a grocery store at the end of the year so she can claim 3 of her kids and lets other people claim the other ones and split it her..no joke Im serious not my friend but a friends sister in law crazy huh?
yes, I see there are tons of people using their children like "paychecks".  That is awful & unfortunate.  I just wonder what would happen to those children if they were not in the system.

I think that the social service offices are so busy that there is no way to weed out the "slackers" from the ones that truly need help.  Who has time to do all that?  and How could it be done?  Also what do you do with the children from the "slacker" parents?

LauraB:  I understand where you are comming from in a lot of what you say about people just having kids to stay at home & not work, but how do you fix the system?  
Those ppl make me sick! Dds are my babies not my $ makers! And I want a child to love and care for. NOT bc s/he will let me get help. I'd like to avoid the help. But ik once df goes back to school for his CNA altho it takes 2 months tops one or both of us will have to work less. And that will be hard on us. But once he's done. He'll make so much more $$!  And we'll be set to have a baby. But I'm not gonna wait the 2-3 that's gonna take to ttc.
It is wonderful that you have a plan for your family's financial future.  Great job!  Hold your head high.  You have great plans for your future.
I completely understand I am almost finished with my degree!! I'm already scoping out higher paying jobs..my field is with children teaching but in private school and I plan on having my children in the same school where I work it will be great!!!!!
I would like to point out that DH and I have laid all of our possibilities out after we have our baby in Jan. and we have both agreed on the best situation for OUR household. While it would be ideal to be a SAHM, I'm going to continue to work, since we will receive free daycare (my mom has graciously offered) my job is really family oriented, and flexible, and it would give him a chance to get his masters, thus move him into a much higher income bracket. In a few years once we start working towards baby #2 we will be able to live very well on just his income if I choose to stay home. My point is, you need to COMMUNICATE before you have children, and know that, if you want to stay home, that is a luxury! Don't do it because the government can help you, financial planning IS family planning!
That sounds womderful! Both df and I want to be pathologists but its gonna take a lot of school and we are going to have to work hard for just one to go to school. I will pry go back for the degree first while he works the higher paying job. Tho we both want to get our CNA so there is no $ issues while we are back at school.
awesome! girlie! I am not that smart to learn that but I'm really good with kids and teaching so I went into that field might as well do something you love right! Anyhoo hubby goes to school for Architecture he loves that stuff but has more to go than me so I will be finished before him but the money I make will well support us until then! I am thrilled about it all!
This is very true you need to have a plan and if both of you can work you should! Or at least be looking for work
about my sister- if her benifits were cut, yes it would punish her children which I dont think if fair, but was it fair to them to be born to people like my sister and her boyfrien? NO..  they are poor excuses for civilians..  

And another story id like to share is DBs mother...  She and DB were hit by a train about 5 or 6 years ago.  she had some back problems from it, and quit her job and stated that she couldnt work.   well as the years went by she babied and babied it, now she has so many issues that she cant even stand up long enought to take a shower or do dishes.  there house is disgusting.. they pay her rent and give her food stamps... but yet she can affored, phones, interntet, the best cable, charter offers.  if she can afford that they she dont need help. those things are not a need.   she could have got a sit down job.  or a job working from home.  they dont clean at all.  and not to mention her 21 year old daughter and 17 year old son live with her, and she gets money for them living there too. the 17 year old, okay, but her 21 year old.. really, does she deserve money for her, she is over 18 and should have her own job and place.. she buys 5 packs of cigatettes every week, to support hers and her two kids habbits.. and there food stamps used to go to 2 litters and chips for the kids, she used to never buy gorceries cause she dont really eat.   hello 5 packs of ciggerettes a week, is  20 packs a month if not more, that is 140 dollars or more a month, hello..... thats groceries or an electric bill a month.  I smoke and so does bd, but one pack last me a week and we can afford them and some.. you know... plus get this. she was having a real hard time with her 17 year old son, and i kept telling her to send him to his dads, and all she would  say is, well then i wont get that money for him living here.  and then my DB is 22 years old, and his dad owes back child support which when db was 16 he went to live with his dad and she promised his dad she would sign off on that money if he would take him. and he did, he had him for 4 years, given he made him go to school and work. but thats what a good parent does.   well last yearish, Dbs dad called and said he recieved papers that they were never signed off on, and he still owed that money, so he called her to sign them AGAIN  and she said well i dont really want to. its my right.  and she said "Joey (dbs lil brother) is turning 18 soon and not going to school so im losing his child support too, so i wont have any money"  I was like are u serious.. DBs dad took him in, got him to go to school, got him to get a job, took him to florida to live, made a better man out of him...  I dont think he owes that money. well she saids i rasied him for the first 14 years.. well yea u did, but not with ur own money, will your drug money and your husbands money.     so he called her again and said what do i gotta do to make u sign them. which he just sent DB 150 dollars to change his last name to his dads,a nd his mom was so mad that he was doing that and felt betrayed, so she said, id like some money and lunch.. seriously!!!!!!  so DBs dad called him and said give your mom that money and take her to lunch. Db said whatever, and did it, which turned out buying her and his siblings dinner at an expenisive place..  

it just drives me nuts, how lazy people are and how they use everyone else to make a living for themselves.
WOW that is crazy see it really does make people who need this stuff and work really hard everyday and love their kids more than anything look crazy!
Ladies, we are closing this thread.  It is off-topic, and getting too heated and judgmental.  

Let's remember to be mindful of the hard times many are facing, and there is no shame in asking for help if you need it.  We also don't know if some women just lost a well-paying job and now needs help, but her car may be leased and if she turns it in, she loses a lot of money, etc.  It's easy to look down on others to make ourselves feel better, but we never know the full story.  

We have many, many members who don't post and just read, and some of those women are facing hard times, need support, and might not feel they can get it here if other members are insulting those who they deem to be "abusing the system."   We also have members who are pregnant and addicted, and come here looking for help for both, and we want them to be able to get the help without shame or guilt.  Let's remember that.

Thanks,
Emily

************************************** CLOSED THREAD ***********************************
                                        NO MORE POSTS, PLEASE
Okay ill tell u my situation im 19 years old had a nice car (2 door) so then I got pregnant and had to trade my car in and I got a 2012 car nice car 4 door car because I needed a 4 door car and I pay for it every month but I didnt want to get a junk car and have it breaking down left and right when Im having a child I reciently applied for foodstamps and im not ashamed I work part time and my hours keep getting cut because im going on maternity leaf soon.. I don't think its wrong for me to get foodstamps because I have a nice car I mean I have a lot of bills to pay and I need a car to get back and forth to things and I don't want to dump money into a junky car for it to break down a lot... so I don't think u should judge people for what they look like or what they drive I don't even know if I qualify for foodstamps yet I agree people do abuse it no dount about it I know plenty of people who abuse it and trade their foodstamps for cash to buy weed and drugs excet. But I don't think people should judge people on foodstamps for what they drive or wear and I have nice clothes and don't like to look poor.. I haven't even bought clothes for myself in idk how long becauase I can't afford it but I don't let myself look like a bum because I can't afford new clothes everyweek..
And yes I do spend my extra money on food I don't have a lot of extra money after paying for my car payment and insurance and gas but what I do goez to food and since my hrs r getting cut im getting less money and can't afford much food.. and that's y I applied and I do need more food in my house and I couldnt make my apointment and ive tried to call the lady and reschedule but she will not call me back and its pretty aggriateing im pregnant and need to eat and Im running out of food in my cabinets..
In refrence to prior comments, drug tests are not administered in order to qualify for food stamps where I live. I am very low income with a new baby and I drive a nice car because it was handed down to me and my family...and I look damn good all the time because I have style and confidence. Thrifting anyone? It doesn't take lots of money to be fabulous on the inside and out, it only takes love.