Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Wanting Baby #4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Wanting Baby #4

First time poster..... I just turned 30 in Sept. My husband and I have 3 beautiful children, boy-6, girl-4, and girl-1 1/2. I really want to have another baby. Id lilke to do it soon so that there isnt a large gap in age with the kids. My husband agreed to have one more as long as I promise to tie my tubes during my c-section. (this will be my 4th, all previous babies delivered via c-section). I have several questions.
1. Anyone that has 4 or more kids, how hard is it to really go from 3 to 4? Our house is alive and loud right now, and things are crazy anyhow.. how much more could it get with another one?
2. I agreed to getting my tubes tied after number 4, but Im really nervous to do it now. It just seems so final. I know my husband really really wants to be done after 4. And out of respect for him and our marriage, I wouldnt want to continue to press for more children, even though I would have more if given the option. I just hate the thought of NEVER being able to have any more children. Any advise from those who have been through that?
3. Im also a little nervous about the 4th C-section. I had placenta previa with number3 and hemorrhaged during c-section. They were able to stop the bleeding, but I began to bleed again shortly after I was in recovery. It was pretty serious for a few days. I asked the Dr on my last appointment about having another baby and he said that he thought it would be fine. My uterus looked fine  and they felt I would do fine. He said that they would just moniter my blood levels closely before the C-section and would probably put me on heavy doses of Iron before hand to build my blood to withstand the amount I would lose in surgery. Has anyone had a good experience with a 4th section?
Thanks for any posts !!!
I'll respond to questions 2 and 3. First, would your hubby consider vasectomy? It's safer than tubal ligation and more effective (you can still become preggo with a tubal ligation because the egg can still get fertilized and implant by floating down to the uterus (it has happened!). Also, I believe vasectomy is reversable.

As to the third question, every single pregnancy and baby is different. My MIL (mom-in-law) hemorrhaged with my husband (he was the third baby) and went on to have a fourth child perfectly fine. She didn't have a C-sec, though. She had all vaginal deliveries but still... the point is that her fourth child was born without complication.

Go on and have another baby! Good luck to you! Hope it works out with DH.
haha... hubby used to say he would get the vasectomy, but always chickens out. I think that is the only reason he agrees to another baby is to keep him from having to have the procedure. Men! What babies!!! Anyhow, never heard that a tubal could be unsafe... can you elaberate?
Well a tubal ligation is an operation. Obviously you'd get it done after your c-sec but a c-sec puts so much strain on the body that to do two operations in one place in one day can be hard on you. Here is what I got from an article on a women's health site:

"Women who chose tubal ligation often experience changes in their menstrual cycle. Possible menstrual changes of attributed to tubal ligation include pelvic pain, and additional surgery, although whether either of these complications are true remains a subject of controversy among physicians. Although controversial, some women say they experience a condition called post tubal ligation syndrome following tubal ligation. According to studies, women who undergo tubal ligation before age 30 face a significantly higher risk of having a hysterectomy. Other research suggests that tubal ligation may provide protection against ovarian cancer and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)."

"Although tubal ligation is almost 100 percent effective, a small percentage of women will become pregnant as much as ten years later and the risk of tubal pregnancy is significantly higher in women who have undergone tubal ligation."