Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Water intake...I hate to drink water!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Water intake...I hate to drink water!

I HATE water...always have, always will lol  However, since becoming pregnant I have been forcing myself to make sure that I am drinking enough.  I don't like fruit2o or anything that has artificial sweetener because my doctor told me not to use anything with artificial sweetener.  SO my question is, Is seltzer water just as good for you as regular water in terms of staying hydrated?  IF not, I do tolerate water with lemon or lime but its not always possible for my to have it that way and it is like torture to drink plain water.  I'm weird I know!
nah, you're not. i hate water too!!! i don't know what seltzer water is, but i just make sure i'm drinking plenty of fluids...whatever the fluid is it's mostly water anyway.
I was told that I need to drink 6 to 8 glasses of water a day.  I drink bottled water all the time.  I crave water.  You can drink cool aid.  Or decaf tea.  That way your just drinking flavored water.  LOL.  God Bless, Anita
My doc told me that realistically 4 glasses of water is plenty and then to make up the other 2-4 glasses of fluid, drink cranberry juice, milk or tea.  
Oh, I don't like water either so I always have lemons in the house for lemon water.
I'm not good at drinking water, either.  I mostly drink iced tea or ginger ale. Not the best choices, I know, but...
Seltzer water is very good for hydration, it may give you more gas in your belly than you'd like.  
Target sells awesome seltzer water with different flavors that are not the typical cherry, tangerine, lemon/lime or raspberry.  Also there's a seltzer water brand that's called "Vintage" and they are very good and very inexpensive too.
I drink lots of seltzer water because I HATE anything that has artificial sweetners including Splenda, they all taste awful to me.  And my husband made me give up regular soda so seltzer water is great when you need something other than water.
Try it for a little bit, you might like it!  I got my entire office addicted to seltzer water, the office favorite is raspberry and cherry.  Pros you don't have any artificial colors or sweetners, its just carbonated water with a hint of flavor.  Cons, gas, but that's it.
I have been drinking seltzer water...I like the pomegranate or cranberry lime ones...BUT I just wanted to be sure it was okay to count as water intake (the can just says: carbonated water, natural flavor for ingredients...sounded okay!)  I do drink like 2 cups of decaf tea a day, and I try to drink some regular water too...we have a 'water' club at work and I pay to have access to bottled water SO I usually make myself have some in the morning and afernoon.  

I don't want the sugar, so I don't want to drink Kool-aid or any other ice-tea or lemonade type of drink.  I don't need the extra calories from sugar...I'd rather actually eat something than drink my calories.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like water!  

Thanks for your input ladies!

I just wanted to thank you ladies, I was craving flavored seltzer water all night lol. I have to go buy some now.
I live in Germany and when I go to a restaurant, all I can get is water with bubbles (not good cause makes me burp louder and  more often than I already do!  argh!) or other carbonated drinks or juice.  Normal water without bubbles makes me gag.  I dont know why - one of those strange unexplainable pregnancy things.  I even threw up water more than once.  Just water.  Was horrible.

So now I get Crystal Light "on the go" packets - with NO SUGAR :)  I love it!  Comes in lots of flavors and when I am in a restaurant, I order a normal water (without bubbles) and mix a little in my water and makes drinking water tolerable :)
PS. I am SOOOO Jealous that you ladies can drink carbonated water!!!!!!!!!!!  Anything carbonated is an absolute no-go for me!  I hate this burping thing.  It is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!
I have been on weight watchers for 6 years now, and they say that any non-caffinated beverage can be counted for up to half of your daily water in-take. I can't stand the flavor of water either so I have used any and all methods that I can to help get the fluids in. So just be sure that you are drinking at least 32 of your 64 oz a day with just pure water. The rest can be juice, flavored water, ect.

I didn't read all of the responses, but I like Vitamin water.  Water in your foods and other beverages do count toward your daily water intake.

I saw this show on Food Network called Food Detectives.  I thought it would be dumb, but I watched it anyway.  It's really about them proving or disproving food myths.  It's actually pretty neat.  Anyway, they had one about this very thing.  They took 3 different diets (low fat, average, and high fat diet) and dehydrated it some way.  They basically proved that through your normal foods/beverages throughout the day, you already pretty much get your daily water intake, which was a relief to me because I am not a good water drinker either.  They said teas and cool-aids and even coffee, fruits, vegetables, etc. all count.  They did say though, that the high fat diet did require some additional water intake.  The more fat someone has in their diet, the more water they need because their body has to work harder to digest the food.

So, I think you are probably fine with what you are doing :)
I drink lots of cool aid i jus dont make it with a lot of sugar but it does the trick.
I drink kool-aid!! Does crystal light have artificial sweetner?? IDK... Ooops if it does!! That's what I drink though...
Crystal light and other things that say No sugar and its sweet to the taste is made with artificial sweetners.
Artificial sweetners include: Splenda, Aspertame, Equal, Sweet and Low, Sucralose, Saccharin, Acesulfame potassium, Cyclamate, etc.

So anything that has any of these in their ingredients list is sweetened with artificial sweetners.
Very detailed info by Mumita =)  She is right...My doctor told me not to have any of those while pregnant and even suggested not using them again after pregnancy.  I'm a constant Weight Watcher and I used to eat/drink a TON of stuff with artificial sweetener so it has been a hard change for me but I am glad that I have done it for me and baby =)