Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Ways to get your cervix to soften naturally (for childbirth)...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I went to the OB on Tuesday and baby is engaged in my pelvis, but I have not yet dilated. Her head is actually sitting on my pubic bone (is what it feels like) and it's not pleasant at all! Does anyone know of natural ways to get your cervix to soften? I've heard that BD'ing can help but is it just bd'ing or can it be w/o DH I guess is the way to ask (Man! That's embarassing!!). BD'ing really isn't comfortable for me anymore as most of you konw who are in your third trimester. Also has anyone just sat on an exercise ball to help? Thanks in advance ladies!
I'm in the same boat as you - except that baby isn't engaged in any way, is still pretty high up (although my OB says that doesn't mean that I still might not go into labour spontaneously anyway).  I'm going to have an induction next week if nothing happens before then.

I think that the BD should involve DH.....I think it's the prostaglandins in the sperm that are supposed to naturally soften the cervix.  My DH isn't comfortable BDing right now with me being so far along - since 37 weeks, he's been that way - so I don't have that option.

I've also been told that an exercise ball will help to bring the baby down....Evening Primrose Oil is supposed to help....massaging the cervix....and good old fashioned walking.  I've been walking each day this week, had a bit of cramping yesterday after I came home but nothing materialized.  

Good luck :-))
I have been told that an orgasm can start the contraction process... I am high risk and I am on pelvic rest - no sex, no self .. nothing.  But I did read - i think in the what to expect book that an "O" brought on by ones self it the most powerful... it can't hurt at this point and and if you DH is not able to help... why not try!!  Good luck to you both!!
OH...Gosh.. I sure hope I was reading through the lines properly on that one....!!!  
sometimes orgasms can help kick-start contractions, but Limonada is right, the sperm is what is supposed to soften the cervix. walking helped me get labor going, too :). just as a little encouragement, we BDed at 39w6d when I was pregnant with DD and I went into early labor the next day..so BDing is possible, you just have to be creative :D.
Melka: Lol, yeah you read them right! It's just getting uncomfortable to actually to the BD deed! I'm glad you ladies are here to ask this kind of stuff!!! Sorry about the pelvic rest :-(

Limonada: Geez! Your little one is just stubborn huh?! How do you massage your cervix? Also, I know DH's sperm contain prostaglandins, but I also know that when you O you release oxytocin so I guess either would be okay but with DH would be better lol...?
Trust me - when my cerclage gets removed - my DH is not going to have a choice if he wants to BD or not..... I had it placed at 13 weeks with prior preg and removed at 35 - I just had it placed for this  one Monday - only 22 weeks OF NOTHING to go!!!  GOOD LUCK!
haha...I don't actually know how one would go about massaging one's cervix - I just read it somewhere ;-)   Ah....the internet is a wealth of information!!

Yes, this one is just like DS was so far!!  He didn't want to come out either.  While it's sort of comforting to know that my uterus is such a comfortable "home", it's also a bit annoying to have to wait....I've been crabby all day because of it - blah.