Pregnancy 18-24 Community
What Do Contractions Feel Like?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What Do Contractions Feel Like?

I'm currently 12wks5days.  This is my first pregnancy to last more than about 7wks, so I'm in uncharted territory now.  I have been having some crampingesque pains in my lower abdomen just every once in a while.  I'm not worried that there is anything wrong, but I'm curious to hear from others who have actually had babies already, what the difference feels like between the following things:
1) Round Ligament Pain
2) Stomach Skin Stretching Pain
3) Gas Cramps
4) Period Cramps
5) Braxton Hicks or other Non-Labor Contractions
6) Contractions for Labor
7) Other cramp-like pain things that I might not even have heard of!

This might be a naive question, but I would really like to hear what you all have to say!
Thanks!
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
CONGRATS ON UR PREGNANCY
Blank
376739_tn?1317669990
Well some things feel very similar. I'll try to answer to the best of my experience:

1). Round Ligament Pain is a band of pain, usually between your hips. There is no tightening (which would be the difference between round ligament and contractions).

2). Skin stretching- usually itchy and taught, but your belly underneath is not tightening up

3). Gas cramps S U C K! It feels like contractions, but again--- no tightening. You'll feel relief when the gas comes out.

4). Period cramps- well if you're pregnant you won't have these

5). BH contractions- tightening of the belly, usually the low side. Real contractions will cause your entire belly to tighten into a tight, tight ball. These can be uncomfortable, painful or not even noticeable!

6). Contractions- Usually painful, definitely noticeable.
Blank
982641_tn?1252029012
Thanks for the response!
I asked about period cramps more for comparative purposes, since besides the gas cramps, I've never really known any of these other crampy/pain feelings before.  When I had my m/cs I had cramping but I wasn't far along enough that it felt like any kind of tightening - more just like a really severe period.  I thought that knowing the difference might help me get a picture (or idea) in my head about it.
Blank
981438_tn?1251670077
when i was about 4 or 5 months pregnant i had cramps and tightining in my stomack but pains in my legs and back aswell.. went to hospital and turned out i had an infection,because i had left it a few days the infection had sent me into early labour.luckly they were able to stop it and everything turned out fine
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pregnancy 18-24 Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...