Pregnancy 18-24 Community
What Precautions to take while tryn to conceive?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Hi, My husband n I are planning for a family.I wanted to know if I should be avoiding the following things? swimming,cycling,coffee, aerated drinks, mint..etc iv heard that if the guy has a lot of mint, if affects the erection during sex, is it true?
Also, I have some skin problem, so im taking some medicines for it, should i stop it now or only once im sure iv conceived?
i think in most cases a you should be off all medications while ttc unless otherwise stated by your doctor. i'm not sure what acne medication you are on but i know for sure that there is one, Accutane, which you are NOT supposed to take while pregnant or ttc. It can cause serious birth defects. I'm not sure about all acne meds though. that's something you would need to discuss with your doctor.

also, i believe that you are supposed to cut back on your caffeine intake. it would probably be in your best interest to consult a physician for definite answers.

never heard about the mint thing! i wonder if that's a myth or if there is some truth to it?

hope this helps. i also hope you get the answers you are seeking. good luck on your quest to conceive!!!!
i'm sorry. after re-reading your post i see that you just said you were taking meds for skin problems. i'm sorry i assumed it was for acne. please forgive me.
thnx, ddnt know taking such medicines can cause birth defects...this is alarming!!!!!!
though i am taking the folic acid medicines n regularly eating the 'high in folic acid' veges.
for a great list of whats safe duing pregnancys check out BABYCENTER.COM its awesome, and they've got a whole list that'd take me forever to type out.

Heres the link

http://www.babycenter.com/search/showResultsForContent.htm?contentTab=ARTICLE&intcmp=Nav_Global_Searcharticles&queryString=safe+excersize+during+pregnancy

Cindie
Have you gone to your doctor for a preconception exam? I mc in decemeber and my doc said its really best to go in before you start ttc so they can get a clean bill of health first and get you on prenatel vitamins before you get preg.  
Yup, i did visit my Dr to get the checkup done...so all sure everything is fine and ready to start :)
Is it ok to ask what skin problem you have and what medication you take?

I was on Soriatane which is similar to Accutane, but the difference is W/Accutane you must be off it for 1 mo. to get pg. For Soriatane it takes 3 YEARS to get out of your system.
I got on it at 17 or so, and am 21 now. It was just about the 3 yr. mark when I found out I was pregnant. that was 2 1/2mo. ago.

My skin condition is similar to Excema or Psoriasis, but different too. Its called EHK(it's hereditary and my baby has a %50/50 chance of being born w/it). I can explain more about it if anyone wants to know.
I hope you don't get offended by my question, I'm just very knowledgable  when It comes to skin conditions, and I love learning more.

Thanks,
Cindie

p.s. if you don't want to post here, just message me.
I am also ttc, and I quit caffeine (cold turkey, and the headaches have finally subsided!) and I've also quit drinking completely and eating healthier.  It's a personal choice for everyone, but I did this because I have read that when you realize you're pregnant, you're already a couple weeks into the pregnancy at least, so I don't want to have a glass of wine, not knowing that I've already conceived.  That is just me though.  I'm not taking prenatal vitamins, but I have been taking folic acid for 2 years.