Pregnancy 18-24 Community
What does a UTI feel like?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

What does a UTI feel like?

Last month my Dr. said there was blood in my urine. He sent it off for lab work and it came back negative. I had not symptoms of one so no anitbiotics was given. Around 4am I woke up to pee and I had a pain in my right side, abdomen and back. I couldn't even sleep on that side cause it felt tender to touch. I fell back to sleep. When I got up for work, I sat on the couch for 5 minutes and it hurt on that side to get up. The bumps on the road to day care hurt. A few times I've gone pee, but not every time, it hurts on that side when I first start to go. The pain is in on my right side of my abdomen, not where the pee comes out. I'm not sure, but when you have a UTI, doesn't it hurt where you're peeing out of? I do have a call into my Dr this AM. I am waiting for a call back now. Can anyone explain to me what a UTI actually feels like? I've never had one that I could feel before. Thanks ladies...
i think you should get your urine checked again to see what happens
sounds to me that its more like a kidney infection rather than a UTI.  i would definately call and have it checked.
Yeah something is going on with your kidneys, or bladder or something.  But I would go back to the doctor. Kidney, bladder, and UTIs HURT! And you mentioned some of the symptoms of all of them...but like kennedy said it could be your kidneys.  Good luck.  These things are also common in pregnancy.  Well at least I have heard they were...I hade a UTI with my second pregnancy and I woke up in the middle of the night vomiting and diarrhea omg it was horrible! Went to the hospital and here I was dehydrated as well.  So you dont want to take your chances on that.  It sucked!
its painful thats all i gotta say!! When i got one of those i could not sit stand walk nothing but some how i dragged myself to the hospital and thats what they told me i had and yes just like u said it does hurt when u go wee but it hurts everywhere in that area too. if u think u got it then get to the dr and dont drink nothing but water and cranberry juice u have to wee all the bacteria out of ur system.
I got into the Dr at noon. According to the urine test in office, there no blood or anything in my urine, but they are sending it off to the lab just to be sure. He couldn't explain the pain except it could be a number of things, but he's out ruled most of it. He said as long as It doesn't get worse, just take tylenol for pain.

I did get to hear the heartbeat again and the baby is GREAT!!!

Thanks for all the helpful advise. I go thursday for my u/s and I will update when I get back.....Gonna find out the sex.....Yeah!!!
I have a UTI right now and all i had for symptoms were:
-cloudy urine due to white blood cells
-my urine had an odor...what I would call bad orange juice (sorry if tmi)
-discharge not runny or clear but like white paste (sorry again)
-burning while urinating (plus a few minutes after)
-some abdominal pain...and thats it.
No vaginal iritation, just...you know what I mean!..i hope.
I would get further testing.
Ugh, I'm suffering one right now!  I've had a total of 9 UTI's back to back like every 2 months...from what you're describing it does sound like a UTI.  Some UTI's that I have, I'm constantly feeling like I have to pee so bad like I cna't hold it and I go tot he bathroom and nothing...and when something does come out it's sooo painful that I literally have tears in my eyes and holding on to whatever that's around me...then ther'es the UTI's where I just feel discomfort and I feel like I have to pee bad but not as bad as some UTIs where i feel pain in my lower stomach...it does hurt and even though I drink water it doesn't come out as much as it should...but it's very discomforting!!!
Congrats on the baby by the way! Awesome news. Have you been checked for Kidney stones? I mean I remember watching the green mile when tom hanks had that UTI in the movie and it was so painful...but that sounds like kidney stones as well! Just throwing that out there!
I also had pylneophritis (Kidney inflammation) because of all the UTIs I had, it lead to that. I feels like your organs in the back or side or rubbing against each other bad.  The first time it felt like my ribs rubbing against my liver but my kidney was inflammed and causing the discomfort...the second time was just as bad except my kidneys were so inflammed it was causing friction against my uterus. But I would definitely get it check out ASAP, my doctor got mad because I waited too long to get my UTI checked out and said an untreated UTI can cause a miscarriage espceially because I was only 6 weeks at the time.