Pregnancy 18-24 Community
What to pack for the big day?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

What to pack for the big day?

I am 30 weeks, and I want to get all bags packed just in case. So far in the baby's diaper bag, I have baby powder, lotion, diapers... what else do I pack for her?

What about me... lol what do I pack for myself?
That's a good question... I am going to be 31 weeks tomorrow and haven't even thought about it. I figured I would find out at my childbirth class. Ladies, any advice would help!!!
for the baby i would just pack a going home outfit and maybe a pacifier just in case baby doesn't like the one they give in the hospital everything else will be provided for her when your there. for yourself i would pack underwear your own pads the hospital ones are huge and feel like diapers lol i would pack socks or slippers or both if you want and i would also pack deodarent toothbrush and tooth paste they provide those for you too but i like to use my own. you can pack a night gown if you want but i amnot going too i certainly don't want to get blood all over it. a hair brush if i think of anything else i will let you know
things for your "labor partner" change of socks, shirt, deoderant etc...
small bills/change for vending machine snacks
your carseat - duh  :p
I packed PJ pants cause I don't like laying in bed or walking down a hall in just a gown. and an outfit for you to go home in because people will probably take pictures and I know I don't want pictures taken of me in my jammies!
anything else that will makes you feel like a human (mouthwash, make-up, lotion...)
take stuff to occupy you during 1st stages of labor!

I'm taking my:

Ipod
Nintendo DS
lolli pops
chapstick
socks (rooms are usually kept cool)
camera w/ extra batteries
baby book (you can write in it about your labor as it happens)

For recovery:

going home outfit (for you and baby)
extra panties
super maxi pads ( the ones they give you in the hospital are not that great and don't usually have the sticky adhesive)
shampoo & cond.
brush
hair dryer
robe
slippers
car seat

I can't think of much more that the hospital doesn't provide, even for baby!
I have Jacob's diaper bag packed so far but not Mekaila's or myself....

but in his I have
5 Diapers
Wipes
Powder
Lotion
Desitin
2 outfits
1 Night gown
1 Blanket
1 pair of socks
You don't need to take powder or lotion to the hospital. In fact using baby powder is now considered dangerous unless you pour the powder into your hand and then put it on baby's bottom. Otherwise they can breathe in the powder and it can cause problems.

Anyway, what to pack! It's very easy and honestly I always took way more then I ended up needing. In labor you'll be so focused on pain OR sleep.

For Baby:
A going home outfit
Carseat

For You:
Change of clothes
Undies (the mesh undies they give you are awful!)
Toiletries
Maybe a photograph as a focus object during labor
Video camera/digital camera
Wallet with insurance information
Cash for cafeteria food (for hubby) or vending machines

I always took books and things to play with and ended up leaving them in the bag the entire time. People may also bring you gifts and the hospital gives you a ton of freebies, so remember that you'll be leaving with a lot more than what you came.

You'll be so focused on baby and sleep after birth so keep that in mind when you pack! Ask yourself, "If I'm in pain or really tired, will I need this?"
Brown-Eyed-Gurl, make that TEN diapers in the diaper bag! When they are newborns they go through about 10-12 a day. Yikes!
ok so I will carry 20 diapers since I got 2 babies  I have baby powder in the diaper bag for under their necks since it's gonna be summer and they will be sweating a ton.....
You are my hero!  I am 35 1/2 weeks and have packed nothing.  We only live 10-15 min from the hospital so I guess it's not as big a deal but still...I have packed NOTHING.  I need to get on the ball !!!!  I guess I'm procrastinating.  The idea of labor & delivery is terrifying to me; maybe I think if I put off packing I won't have to go through the painful part.  LOL  
you really dont need to pack anything for the baby other than an outfit. at least when i had my son, they had everything. diapers clothes etc.
Thanks guys! Im a first time mom and I HAVE NO CLUE! Thanks Joy I didnt know about the baby powder! Im pretty much just going on if it says baby on the bottle then I need it LOL.

I grabbed some travel wet wipes, diapers... ( size 1 right?) How long do they stay in that? I grabbed a travel pack that includes, destin, lotion, baby wash, powder and even a little paci. Other than that, I figure 2 outfits (just in case) booties, digital cam,mitts , hat , blanket. Anything else I should put in there for my little Leanna?

As far as I go... well LOL I have no bag yet... can't even afford to make sure I can get myself any comfy things to fit in there. Been buying stuff for the little one...

Ok so.... what should I have for the first 4 months?
Clothing is very very confusing to me... since she is gonna be a summer baby and all... and what sizes and how many of what sizes?
no size N for newborn. my sons two months n just grew out of the size 1
Well you can still use baby powder, just use it carefully!!! I LOVE the smell of baby powder!

Anyway, you don't need to take diaps to the hospital. They'll have all of that and they'll give you whatever is leftover when you leave!!! Yay for freebies!

I had a summer baby. My daughter was born June 4th. She wore size 0-3 month for about 4 months. She was perfectly averaged sized. I put her in a lot of "bubble suits"---they're like onesies but they have ruffles and they sort of balloon around baby's body instead of hugging them. I also put her in a ton of onesies. That was basically all she wore. For pajamas she wore those sleepers. I kept her in the fleecey, heavy ones that you usually get for winter because of the air conditioning being on.

When we went out, I'd just cover the carrier with a light receiving blanket and keep a hat on her.

Okay now I'm drooling about having another baby. I love it when they're so helpless and cute!!!

As for diapers, you'll need 2-3 packs of newborn, 3-4 packs of size 1, 3-4 packs of size 2, and baby will probably stay in size 3 for a long time because their growth sort of plateaus there for 3 months so you may want 6-8 packs of size 3.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers