Pregnancy 18-24 Community
When did you pack your hospital bag?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

When did you pack your hospital bag?

I'm 34w and was just wondering when people packed their bags...I feel like it is still early but I get an email from babycenter and what to expect, and one of them (can't remember) said to pack the bags this week as this weeks activity.  
36%
 (4) 
32w or earlier
18%
 (2) 
33w
18%
 (2) 
34w
9%
 (1) 
35w
18%
 (2) 
36w
11 Members voted
UGH!  I wish there was an edit or go back button on these things sometimes!!! I accidentally hit enter and it posted the poll before I got to finish...but I was going to go through the following weeks up to 40...
Hehehe, what to you need to take to the Hospital anyway?  I'm soo clueless about these things!
Oh deffinitely put the car seat in your car already and start washing all the baby clothes and bedding with that special soap....I don't know what else.
None of the above. I packed like 5 mins before I went to the hosp!

AP
There is this whole list that they gave...but some of the stuff like my contacts and lens solution need to stay out until then!  Some other women have posted what they are packing in some posts and they packed much earlier...like at 30w or even late 20s.  

Maybe I should just come up with a master list for dh in case if when the time comes I am not up to running around the house trying to gather 'stuff'.

I've already washed all the clothes...up to 3months size...although now I am hoping that it will be okay because my friend just had an 11lb baby who can't wear any of his newborn sized stuff!  I washed the bedding too and that is safe and sound in the closet to keep it 'clean'/dust free.  Can't wait to take it all out though!  My MIL is painting the baby's room next week/Monday!  I'm so excited!
With my 1st I had my bag pk by 32w and i was having some prob's at the end so every dr. visit I had it in the car!( and ended up needing it at 38w)With my 2nd I didnt pk intill 35-36w, for some reason I just didnt want to do it.
I had probably my clothes in the bag a few weeks early, but the rest went in right before we left.  For most women, beginning labor is a long, slow process, and you will have plenty of time to throw your stuff in a bag! (or get DH to do it)  Just have a list, so you don't forget anything.

With my third, knowing I have long labors, I stayed home as long as possible.  Couldn't sleep (it was late evening when it began), so I did some laundry, took a bath (my water han't broken), tried to read, played spider solitaire, packed my bag, wrote down every contraction.... then finally called the doc and headed in.  I was glad I stayed home for several hours and spared myself that time in the hospital.

I started packing my bags around 27 weeks I think.  I'm 35 weeks and 5 days now and I almost have every thing packed.  I posted a while back asking about what to pack for the hospital.  Heres the link.  Close the gaps.

http:/    /www.    medhelp.     org/posts/sh    ow/743557?personal   _page_id=1381&post_id=post_3913232
I think I started somewhere are 34 weeks or so...I can't remember exactly!! But I know once I had the 'bloody show' at 36 weeks, I made sure everything was ready to go! I went to a birth center that was only 10 minutes from my house. So if I forgot something, someone could have run back to get it for me, that was very convenient. Plus I only stayed there for 2 hours and then went home with baby. I didn't need to pack a bunch of stuff, just the essentials for the time being. So I have no clue what exactly should be packed if you are going to the hospital! But I would start now, just so everything is ready and when you go into labor, you don't have to worry about a thing! =)
I had a few things packed but for the most part I packed everything when I went into labor. Most of the stuff you bring to the hospital is stuff you use everyday so you really can't pack early. I put a note on my bag reminding me what to bring in case I was in a hurry, which I wasn't. You aren't going to go into labor and immediately run out the door, it will be a while before you actually go to the hospital ( in most cases)  If you forget anything, that is what DH and family are for, they can run home and get your things.
It just seemed early that is why I was asking...Every week they have an 'activity' like fill our pre registration papers for hospital, arrange for daycare etc. etc.  Many of you are right, about the things being 'every day things' so that does make it hard to pack 'early'.  
I think I'll just focus on a list for now and then we can work on packing as labor sets in or the week of planned delivery.
I am almost 32 weeks, and just started mine (just in case) I will have a scheduled section at 36wk5d,(if she is willing to wait that long) I have a Hx of pre-term, and was completely unprepared before. I just want things to go smoothly this time!
with my first i didn't pack anything until i was in labour and it was a bad idea lol. i'd pack real early, 32 weeks. in case baby comes early and also if i forget things that occur to me later.
37 weeks for me....didn't have every thing done because i went into labor at 37 weeks & 6 days, delivered at exactly 38 weeks! my mom took me to the hospital because DH was freaking out (he thought he had longer to prepare..LOL) my mom left as DH walked in and went home to get a few things for me and a few people then DH took of the next morning to get the car seat and stopped and bought an outfit for Dylan to come home in (a lil nice surprise) the outfit was a preemie and it was huge on him..LOL this time i have made a list and stuck it on the refrigerator along with a list of things i need so i can check it off as i go!!! (only 9 weeks though...LOL)
i'm a procrastinator. i finished packing mine at 33 wks. a few days before my water broke actually.
I'm so excited for my BFP today i'll probably start packing as soon as I start buying (jokes)
I'm packed already!!!  I packed at 33 weeks just to be on the safe side...
I think 34-36 weeks is a good time to pack.  At least put a pair of nice PJ's that you wouldn't mind a lot of people seeing you in (not hubby's t shirt and boxers) and maybe the coming home outfit for the baby.  Travel accessories, I think its a good idea to pack before than trying to hurry or make dh do it.  Start getting the car seat ready though, you don't want to be messing with it when you are bringing baby home.
I say this but I probably won't be "ready" for the baby until after I come back from the hospital, I am soo not organized.
i am not packed yet but this is what i am planning on taking...... i know i will be having a c-section and since i am not picky.... i will not be bringing much... the outfit i will wear home is probably the one i will be going to hospital in... will only be wearing it for about 2 hours...lol.... i will gladly wear the hospital gowns,pads,ect... lol

i am pretty sure that i will bring my shampoo/conditioner and stuff like that... house slippers for walking halls. robe or sweater in case you get chilly.... the hospital should have a breast pump you can use when/if you need to.  the hospital also has snacks but if there is anything in particular that you want...then you should bring it.

for baby i will have a small diaper bag (diapers,wipes,extra clothes...just in case of blow outs...i am 2 hrs away from hospital) waiting in car with carseat but as for the bag that goes into the hospital.... only a going home outfit,socks,and blanket (some hospitals will let you take thier recieving blanket home too) the hospital will supply you will diapers while you are there, and will probably send some home with you as well. if you are breastfeeding ask the hospital if you can have some formula to go home with...just in case you end up having to supplement before you can get to store to get some formula...they may be able to give you a few of the little bottles of it.  it is always a good thing to have on hand... just in case...lol

as for my bf... he probably wont need much... maybe some money for the cafeteria or snack room while we are there... i am sure he will want a break at some point....lol
as well as a change of clothes or two... that way he can shower and change whereas as the patient we can shower and put a clean gown on.... but if you are more comfie in your own gowns or pj's feel free to bring them. same with your own unders.... i will use the hospital ones cause it feels better with a c-section line to have a little extra ventilation...lol

good luck in getting your bag together... i am almost 28 weeks and will start my bag in another couple of weeks... just in case i go into labor on my own... this pregnancy is wayyy differant than any other one i have had and therefore it wouldnt surprise me any.  i have never gone into labor on my own/but then again have never had BH before either (until this one...ugh) so you never know what is gonna happen.

i am worried that i will go into labor as my hospital is 2 hrs away....lol
ive wrote the hospital bag list so far thats it! theres still things im putting onit! im 30wks but probably wont go out and buy everything till about 32-34weeks i think!
My answer isnt on the list!

Try the night before my induction at 39 weeks............... (yeah, Im a procrastinator)
I know...I accidentally hit return and it went up without all the choices!!!!  I'm a klutz sometimes!
LOL - I had figured it was because most people wouldnt ever leave things that late!  I wonder how many others fit into my category!
i usually am a pretty bad procrastinator as well... waited til last minute with the other kids... my now 6 yr old didnt even get his bassinet until the day i brought him home from the hospital.

for some reason maybe it is my age, or something... idk, but i am wanting to make sure everything is done as much before as possible.. i think alot of it might be because i am having some issues with my back,hips,legs and belly, when i stand or walk too much(only about 30 minutes) all of the areas listed HURT like crazy and feel like someone is sticking a million pins and needles into me. so i want to get stuff done so that i can relax a little more i guess....lol

anyhow i have pics of my crib in my profile... feel free to take a look. i totally LOVE it.
as for the hospital bag... since i am a scheduled csection i wont need too much, the stuff for the baby(outfit,socks,carseat) and a few personal items for myself(hairbrush,shampoo,ect...) since i am not too picky i will use as many things in the hospital as they have for me to use... such as the gowns and underdrawers,pads, and for the baby diapers and such. anyhow good luck to all who need it... and just think we will have our babies in our arms soon.
Someone brought up a good point. Towards the end of your pregnancy you should take the bag in the car with you to your ob appointments. I was sent to the hospital from my dr's office twice for preterm labor and didn't have my bag with me. I guess that was around 30 weeks and 34 weeks.

This time I'll pack around the same 30 weeks. I don't suggest trying to pack when it's time to head to the hospital. I remember right after my water broke as I got up and started to look for my shoes I had my first contraction holy moly all I could think about was getting to the hospital everything else was a blur. No way could I have packed at the same time.
Eesh... I better start packing... I am 32 weeks and haven't even thought about it yet. I was thinking I would at about 35 weeks, but it looks like I am behind the curve.
What are you all packing??? Here is my list:
http://lifes-greatest-blessings.blogspot.com/2012/10/what-to-pack-in-your-hospital-bag.html