Pregnancy 18-24 Community
White spot on babys heart!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

White spot on babys heart!

At my 19 week ultrasound i found out that i was having a girl!! But that is not all i found out, my doctor comes in a tells me that the baby is completely healthy BUT they found a spot on the babys heart! Ofcourse i was very concerned and asked what could it be? All he said was that it was a small spot they found on the heart, that it was very common now days to find them on babys hearts during an ultrasound and that 99% of the time it turns out to be nothing... so he schedules me for another ultrasound in 4 weeks.. well at 23 weeks i go back and the spot is still there, yet again my doctor tells me not to worry about it, that it is a very small spot and he is not concerned..BUT I AM!!! im now 24 weeks and i cannot stop thinking about what could be wrong with my unborn baby girl.. i have been reading everywhere about Downs syndrome could it be possible? my test come back and i was no where in the risk for it, i was completely normal and my doctor didnt say a word to me about that being possible. My nerves are tore up about this so bad i make myself sick and lose sleep. Whats the possibility of something being seriously wrong with the baby?
I am unable to console you or reassure You on your babys health, but I can understand the worry you're going through at the moment. You need to remember to stay calm and try not to worry I know easier said than done. If the doctor has told You not to worry and said that it is common than I would take his advice as he is a medical professional and would have worked with many people in the same situation. You still have a few months left of Your pregnancy just try your hardest to relax stressing is not good in pregnancy for either Yourself or the baby.Have faith in the doctor.
I wish You the best of luck
I'm sorry you are going through this.  It does absolutely no good to worry and stress about what you cannot change.  Try your best to relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.  If it was really something to be concerned about your doctor would have explained this to you.  Best wishes.
I believe my friend had the same thing with her son and he was born perfectly healthy. I think it is called an echogenic spot, Like a calcium deposit. Her son is now  5 and has absolutely no problems. Please try and relax I am sure if the doctor is not concerned everything will be fine.
My baby had the same thing at her anatomy scan. At her followup ultrasound it was gone. She was born perfectly healthy 2 weeks ago. Don't worry because like your doc said, it's common and will most likely disappear on its own.
Hi there,

I am almost in the same boat as you. I also went for my ultrasound and I was told baby was completely healthy except for 2 bilateral choriod plexus cysts on the left and right side of our baby's brain. They told us not to worry its normal, how could anyone take anything like that lightly! well i have my next ultrasound on the 27 so I hope everything turns out ok. I hope everything goes well for you too! keep in touch.
Thankyou for all you help, yes its very stressful but im taking it better. If the doctor is not worried then i shouldnt be.
My husband and I just went through the exact same thing. We went in for the anatomy scan at 20 wks and were told that there was a white spot in her left ventrical. They said all of the other tests were negative for DS but sent us to a specialist just in case. So for 36 hours we were complete wrecks. Once we got in with th specialist she said that the spot is like a birthmark and doesn't effect the heart in anyway. She also said that since the risk for DS was so low, based on the other tests, and this was the only thing that she didn't feel that this spot increased our risk of having a DS baby. We were so relieved and I totally understand your worry, but based upon the other tests being negative I would say that it is higly unlikely that your baby is anything but normal.
Why don't you ask your ob to refer to a pediatric cardiologist? That way they could do a fetal echo-cardiogram and thoroughly check your little girls heart. That would put your mind at ease for sure! If your doctor is not worried then all will most probably be well, but if you need answers now, then it doesn't hurt to ask!

Good luck!  
I think Your last post was good. About mentioning that the doctor is not worried and you shouldn't be. There is no point worrying and stressing it will not change anything and the doctor seems to be not worried just hang in there, thinking of you
I would definitely take the Dr.'s advice. He sees pregnant woman and their u/s on a daily basis. He definitely doesn't look at normal scans everyday. I'm sure there are things that come up, the Dr. is well trained enough to know which are completely normal. I really wouldn't worry about it, I bet the baby is just fine!! =)
I understand what your saying I just had a 23 week ultrasound done to determine the sex its a girl and the tech told me that the baby had a white spot on its heart i freakes and started to cry.I have been pregnate 5 other times and I have list 4 of them around the 3-4 mnth and I finally had my daughter who is 1 1/2 yrs old but with news like this Im scared considering my history.I go back for unother ultrasound in 3 weeks and pray everything is alright.I know how u feel.Praying for the best for both of us.Good luck.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers