Pregnancy 18-24 Community
Why couldn't the U/S tech find my uterus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

When I went in for ultrasound yesterday the tech could not locate my uterus.  She could not get the probe close enough to it.  When we watched her trying to find something (she saw my 2 ovaries).  She did find the sac but couldn't see anything in it.  We were able to se something 4 days earlier.  She said there was something in front of my uterus casting a shadow that made it hard to see.  My doctor could not tell me anything.  She said it was weird.  What would cause this?
i looked it up but i dont want to worry you with something thats probably not true go onto google look it up then go back to gyno and make them tell you what it could be or is. Dont worry. hugs x
IF she found the sac, then she must have found the uterus (right?) because the sac should be IN the uterus...this sounds strange...I'd demand the doctor perform the ultrasound again rather than the tech...unless if the doctor can give you a good explanation for the tech's findings.  Good luck!
I thought that was weird too that we did see the sac but not baby.  We saw the baby 4 days before and my doctor said it just couldn't have disappeared.  She could hardley get a pic of the sac with the internal ultrasound.  She said she couldn't reach it?  I go back Monday for another HCG count.  When will I get the results.  This will be my second?  Thanks!
Was your bladder full? Early on it needs to be full. If it is not then it can cast a shadow and make things difficult but a trained US tech should know that.
in a stomach ultrasound your bladder has to be FULLLL.  in a vaginal ultrasound it has to be EMPTY.  If its not then you get bad visilibty and shadows!  
i dont think the bladder being full or empty should make a ultrasound tech not be able to find the uterus!!!!  how can she not find it?  that sounds very odd.

plus, my doctors have never told me to have a full or empty bladder when having an ultrasound - either vaginally or abdominally.  I have had different doctors/perinatologist give me ultrasounds - but never one done by an ultrasound tech.