Pregnancy 18-24 Community
alcohol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

alcohol

So my best friend mentioned a few weeks ago that she hasn't had a period for about 3 months. I almost told her to take a pregnancy test, but I know her periods are irregular, so I didn't say anything. Sometimes she'll go months without having a period for as long as I've known her. Well she called me a few hours ago freaking out saying she finally took one and it was a very dark positive. Now I am completely excited lol as I have no good friends that are pregnant. And I know she will eventually be excited about it. Anyway she was crying because she's very worried that she put it off for so long and she has been drinking a lot. Not an alcoholic, but almost every weekend and her days off. She's scared something might end up wrong with baby. Which I told her she should be fine, but I want to see what you ladies think. I know she will quit now. But i'm kinda scared for her. Thoughts?
I didn't find out I was pregnant til I was almost 13 weeks.. & in between that time I would drink occasionally w| hubby. but as soon as I took attest and seen appositive, I have drank again. so far my baby's okay.
Best thing to do would be honest with her doctor and let them know.
If they're irregular, it's possible she's not even the whole 3 months along, which would kind of help because the sooner you quit the better. However, she won't know until the doc appt and shouldn't stress too much about it. What's done is done and cannot be reversed. There's no hard facts on small amounts of liquor because they can't really study it to say ok stop, this much more and your baby will have FAS.they just know an excessive amount esp later on can lead to it and stopping immediately after getting a pos is best
Wouldn't she have to be further along due to having to have a period when pregnant? I figured shed be a lil further than me as my last period was march 7th n hers was before. I'm 13w. Ahhh pregnancy is confusing lol but she is setting everything up Monday so we'll see. I'm sure her baby is fine. I just wanted some other thoughts on it being her best friend n all I was scared for her! I know she will not take another sip since she now knows! I just knew the first trimester is the most important. Thank you girls for responding though!
Studies have shown that alcohol consumption in the first trimester is the most damaging (aside grom drinking throughout the entire pregnancy). Theres nothing she can do about whats been done, so hopefully no damage was done. I would tell her to focus on what she can do from here forward to have a healthy pregnancy. Theres no way to tell if any damage  was done and its worse for her to stress about it. tell her to enjoy her pregnancy and just dont drink from here forward.
Yeah I know she's smart enough not to drink again. And I know she isn't too stressed but for get  sake I hope baby is okay. I only drank once or twice before I knew so I knew I was fine. But I know how much she drank before hand. So guess she has to play the waiting game for now. I imagine they'll want to see her soon add she hasn't had a period since feb. But  ya never know!. I'm keeping her calm about it for now making her think good thoughts about the baby. she thought she would never have kids, its what the doctor told her at a young age I guess.... Again though, thank you!
I didnt find out i was pregnant til 10wks..during pregnancy but before i found out i was pregnant i drunk occasionally n on my birthday n new years...my baby is fine i also use to smoke...i told my doc and they said the baby will b fine as long as i stopped in good timing
I got drunk on the day I conceived..had my.21st birthday party..and had two glasses of red wine getting my toes done lol all up to the day I found out, 5 Weeks. I smoked to. Tell her not to worry about it to much. A lot of women drink and smoke before they find out.  It can be dangerous, but stressing is the worst she can do right now. The guilt will never go away lol I know mine won't lol
I know I literally got drunk the night before my missed period and on the way home drunk cried to my fiancee about how I wanted a kid do bad n it want fair that all these teenagers get pregnant so fast without even wanting a kid and abort them! (we tried for 2 years!) them bam! Next day, no period. lol. It was silly. But she was a heavy drinker i'm hoping that she hasn't been pregnant since her last period. But even if she has, i'm sure the baby is fine. I already told her not to stress about it  its the worst for the baby and her! She's doing better since i've talked with her. (: she almost can't believe it, i'm like honey 3 preggo tests dont come up with a strong positive for no explanation lol. She's funny. I'm ungodly excited to have my best friend pregnant with me and dus around the
Ugh n due around the same time lol. (: