Pregnancy 18-24 Community
amniotic fluid or just mucus plug with liquid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

I am 36 weeks and 4 days pregnant, and earlier today at 3:50pm I had felt like I pee'd my pants, I went in the bathroom and then went pee and wiped a bunch of clear mucus, and there was enough clear liquid in my underpants to leak thru to my jeans. So I went to hospital and they tested the fluid, said it wasn't my amniotic fluid and that it was probably just my mucus plug and sent me home. Again at about 8:45 pm the same thing happened, it's not pee cuz it doesn't smell and there is no color to it, and again a lot of mucus. So I called the hospital they told me to just see if it happens again within 1/2 hour and if it does then come in again. I am only 1 1/2" dilated and have been looking online for answers as to if it is normal to leak fluid along with the mucus, because it's not happening while on the toilet, it's happening when I'm up moving around, I feel wet then go to the bathroom to see clear water like substance in my underpants, and clear mucus. Please help I don't want to go to the hospital again to get tests and them just send me home again, I just want to know if it is normal to leak clear liquid when mucus plug is coming out?
I've never heard of clear mucous. If you're losing your plug, generally it'll be snotty and might be streaked with brown or red. Clear discharge isn't unheard of either. Pregnancy generally will cause an increased amount of discharge and often it will be watery and can be enough to soak through. (im not even pregnant and having issues with that again) Often if it's your fluid as well when you stand baby will plug the hole and stop the leaking, and when you lay down you leak a bit more. You can call and see what they what you to do.
I had this happen but it wasnt mucus it was like i peed myself but clear fluid. saw the OB two days in a row but the time they figured out it really was amniotic fluid I'd been leaking for 4 days!  I had to be induced at 35 weeks 1 day. I had to be given antibiotics bc I had been leaking for so long to prevent infection. Don't hesitate to go back to the OB or hospital time and again
Sounds like fluid to me....I would say go back and be persistant.  Ask them to do an ultrasound to check your fluid levels and have them repeat the test.  My mucus plug was blood streaked and snotty like Clysta said.
If you were 38 weeks or more I'd say labor at home! Being less than 2cm dilated means you'll be at the hospital longer and they may push interventions on you that could ultimately lead to cesarean.

But because you're under 37 weeks be persistent. Watch what is going on. Are you having contractions? If you have a contraction does fluid leak out? If you lay down and then get back up is there a big trickle of fluid?

Hopefully it is just discharge (some women do have tons of it!) because your little one still has a few weeks left to let those lungs finish developing. You do not want a NICU baby!
And I'll agree with others that it doesn't sound like the mucous plug (losing it of which is not indicative of labor anyway). The mucous plug is more like hard, firm jello that was left out over night. It sounds to me like you just have a lot of vaginal discharge.