Pregnancy 18-24 Community
anesthesia during second trimester

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

anesthesia during second trimester

Hi there,

I just found out my younger sister is 7 months pregnant and she only found out 3 weeks ago. Apparently she had no symptoms and had several negative pregnancy tests. She even went to the doctor and was mis diagnosed with a bladder infection.
My question is what are the possible effects of general anesthesia in the second trimester of pregnancy. She had her wisdom teeth pulled but at this point did not know she was pregnant. She also remained on birth control for a few months after conception. Just curious so I know how to support her best.

Thanks,
S.
The reason the do not like general anasthesia during pregnancy is becuase there is no way for the dentist to monitor the baby.  If the procedure is over and they have checked the baby out and all is well, then I wouldn't worry much about it.  

The birth control on the other hand can potentially cause problems depending on the type of birth control.  The hormones (like estrogen) in certain birth control methods have been known to cause birth defects.  She just needs to make sure that her doctor is aware of the fact that she continued to take them after conception  and before becoming aware of the pregnancy.
They really don't recommend general anesthesia but there is nothing that can be done about it now. The most harm it probably did was just put baby to sleep for a little bit. ;-) I really wouldn't worry about it. Some pregnant women get their wisdom teeth pulled though I do not know if they use general or topical anesthesia.

I would recommend she get a 3D/4D diagnostic ultrasound done to check on baby and make sure all is well.

I had my galbladder removed during my second trimester with my second child.  I was very nervous and afraid that she wouldn't make it!  But I delivered a full term healthy, beautiful and smart child so at this point I don't believe that there were any side effects.
I'm really scared aswell I am having a barthlins cyst removed from my vaginal area on this Friday and I am being put under general anastesia I am only 16 almost 17 weeks along I hope and pray my baby will be ok :( everyone's words have been helpful to me thank u all even though it wasn't my question