Pregnancy 18-24 Community
anyone get hurtful criticism of your baby's name?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

hi girls, maybe it's the hormones talking but i am having a hard time with the way that my mother-in-law has reacted to our choice in baby name.  i don't expect everyone to love the name skye, but my husband and i put a lot of thought and heart into this name.  if you don't like it, i feel like you should keep your mouth shut!  my sister-in-law overheard my mother-in-law mocking my baby's name at my own shower!  she heard her telling one of my husband's aunts how much she hated the name and then was making gagging sounds.  

i just needed to get this off of my chest...i must be having a hormonal day because i am sitting here bawling my eyes out about it!!  
Aww.... don't take it to heart.  My husband and I love the names Lily and Jack and my own mother shared her disdain for those names!  I love her very much, but told her that if she didn't like the names we picked out, that we would appreciate her keeping her thoughts to herself.  She understood and apologized.  Maybe when you are around all of the family, you can say something like... "I know not everyone here would choose the name Skye, but it is a name that (your husbands name) and I really like.  So, as always, please be considerate... and if you don't share our same appreciation for the name, that is fine.  But, please refrain from sharing your thoughts with other family members."  That will give everyone the hint that you know something was said without putting your mother in law on the spot.  Sorry she hurt your feelings... my husband and I also like the name Skye.  I think it is really peaceful!
UGH!! I hate people sometimes! **** them and their opinions. People often have a terrible habit of not thinking before speaking. That's their problem, not yours. Don't let it get you down, it's not worth it!! And shame on them for even sharing their opinion at all - it's not like it matters!

And by the way, for what it's worth I think Skye is a beautiful name!!

PS) Congrats - you're getting close! I'm just a bit behind you. :)
ovaz-thank you!  i will do that.  i'd love to call her out on it and that would be a nice way of doing it, without being completely rude.  plus, it will let her know that she hurt my feelings and that the baby's name is special because we picked it for her.

babydreams-thanks!!  it just feels good to have some validation of my feelings!  yea, we are almost there!!  so hard to believe!!  :-)
I love the name Skye. It is what is what I want to name my child. It is beautiful...it is your child and you name it whatever you want to. no matter what, your child will be showered in love no matter what the name may be and that is all that matters...
I think this is a pretty common thing.  I know I have seen posts on here about not telling people the name of the baby until it is born for this exact reason.  I know with my cousins I (and the rest of the family) didnt like either of the names but when they were born and I saw them, the names fit perfectly.  I think the rest of my family would agree that they like the names now too.  It is your baby and you are the one who has to love the name.  Do not change the name for anyone!  PS...I love it!
thank you girls!  i think i just needed to hear someone say that!  
Awww honey.. I completely understand where you are comming from. When I was pregnant and found out it was a boy I told my parents I was naming him Julian and they threw a fit.... " He is going to be call Julie ann" Bull **** if you ask me.  I supposedly told them when I was alot younger that I was going to name my son after my dad when I had a boy... They were just mad.. Screw anyone who does not like it. It is your baby and no ones elses... If you and your husband like Skye then thats all that matters... By the way Julian Jaymz is 7 weeks tomorrow and they love the name now... Good Luck and If it means anything I love that name....
We wanted to name our daughter Evangeline Rose (we ended up naming her Abigail Lynn). Some people said it reminded them of Angelina Jolie and other people said it reminded them of that actress who plays Kate on LOST (it's the actress' name in real life).

Soooooo... needless to say it was really annoying and hurtful. I'm really sorry your MIL was acting that way. She sounds really immature.
i love the name skye for a boy or girl i used that name for a middle name for one of my twins. i love it, so it doesn't matter what she says, thats kind of immature if u ask me. but good luck and I LOVE IT.
lol i feel you! i got **** from all my family and even random strangers!
ive heard everything from....
"Domino? you mean like the pizza place?"
to.....
"Theyll ask is she black or is she white!"
the worst is always from family!
the funny part is that me and my boyfriend loved the name and when my stepmother one day was outright hostile about it, we decided rigth then that we loved it even more!
just tell the people that if they dont like the name, they can ahve there own kids and name them whatever they want!
Don't listen to them that name is sooooooo cute!!!!!!
I'm getting the same thing you are some of my family don't like that I am naming my boy Damien.
That's what happened to a couple of our friends.  They told people the name they picked and they reacted to it poorly so they changed it.  Then they advised us not to tell anyone until our baby was born.  We decided to throw one of our sisters off by giving her a fake name that we were going to name our baby and sure enough, we got an opinion.  So I would go with not telling a soul until the baby is born, cuz by then you've already named him/her and they can't say anything!
There will always be someone with something negative to say about whatever name you choose.  I went thru it with my kids.  Just tell her that you appreciate the opinion but the decision is something you put a lot of thought in and have decided on.  Your mother in law will love the child no matter what the name is.  Besides, after she sees the baby and calls it Skye no other name will quite fit.  My mother gave me grief about the name Steeley. Now we cannot imagine her by any other name.
aawww Skye is a lovely name. I love it!!..... It is special to you and ur husband so dont let anyone upset you hun.

hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well, hugs and best wishes
x x
I agree. Skye is a beautiful name..

Stick with it.
i am surely sticking with it!  and you are all right--it is a choice that my husband and i made together and that is special.  i am glad that i am not the only one that goes thru this.  my mother-in-law is just so mean and i feel like she is critical of everything!  i wish i could trade her in!!!  but anyway, thanks a bunch!

on a side note, my husband and i originally were going to keep it a secret.  my friend kept her baby's name a secret for that very reason.  although, to be honest, my mil is the only one that gave us a hard time--the worst part, she didn't do it to my face...she was doing it behind my back at my shower.  maybe next baby we will keep baby's name a secret to just her and will tell everyone else!  

thanks again girls!
Well - - - - - you could always tell your MIL that the next baby will be named after her, and then at the very end, change it to a name you like.....

OUCH - - - that would be mean...... :)

Sorry she is being rude behind your back...
hahahahaha, i love it!!!
my grandma was like eww why are you going to name him Aiden Michael
Forget about her....You and your husband LOVE the name then that is all that matters.
My first choice in a girls name (when I was like 16) was Snow Makayla or Makayla Snow.  My parents HATED IT!  My father told me if I gave such a horrible name to my child he would call her Mickey. I told my father no that if that was the name I chose then there was NOTHING he could do about it.  Well...my DH has the name Sorian picked out for a boy and they HATE that.  Again, I love it DH loves it and that's all that matters!  Keep your head up.....
I have had the same responses for all my childrens names lol. My daughter was Bailey Rae, My oldest son is Michael Owen, my youngest son is Aiden Lee, and this one will be Conner McKinley.

I just very bluntly tell them that I dont care if they like it or not, as I never asked for their opinions on the name choices. Eventually family and friends learned to accept what DH and I chose for names, and as soon as my baby was born, they name was practically non existant lol because they were to in love with the baby to care what his name was anymore.
my OWN mother hates the name we picked for a girl...i love the name lydia marie...she of course hates it, and had the nerve to tell me that lydia is too masculine (sp?)...its one of the most beautiful girl names ive heard...now i have 2 nieces who are named harley and miley and i dont adore those names, but that wasnt my choice and i dont mock them...and of course my mother LOVES those names...i just ignore it all, she doesnt have to like it and she can kiss my a**! LOL
my babies god mother was the same way. my lil guy's name is Jett Kingston. so i warned her that i may have to fire her lol but now she seems to really like it because it fits him.  I love the name Skye. ~d
natemomma-that is so funny because i think lydia is a very feminine name, and way more feminine than your neices names.  

thank you all for your support!  poop on her!  she is never happy with anything anyway.  even if i didn't like the name, i wouldn't have the nerve to mock it.  all she does is make herself look immature and nasty!  it's good that we are all in this boat together!  i knew it was a common thing that parents go thru when choosing a name, but it helps to hear your personal stories :-)
i had this problem with my partners mother aswell we decided to call our little boy antony jean, jean being pronouced john but being spelt after my partners nan who died recently she seems to think he will be picked on when he starts school but me and my partner loved it and we just told her it was personal to us so we kept it i think the women are right once baby skye is born she will love the name just as much as her grandaughter good luck xx
I have had sort of the same issues with name choosing and my mother-in-law. She seems to be the most judgemental person regarding names. I knew we would have a problem when her and my father-in-law would mock the names that their friends chose for their children before we were even pregnant. They weren't even bad names! Well, we decided on Reece, which she said that she liked, but now she's making a huge deal about how we spell it! With an "S" Reese or a "C" Reece. I like the "C'' because it's supposedly supposed to be an alternate spelling, but who the hell cares or is even gonna pay attention to a name with one letter's difference? I think that a lot of in-laws just want to be in control. I say, it is your baby, you're delivering it, you pick his name. Skye is a very unique and cute name! I can't even imagine someone making a gagging noise over it! I also have realized that people in their 50's and older only like the old fashioned names. Everyone always tells me, "Keep the name a secret until the baby's born and then no one can say anything about it." But you're so excited and you love the name so much that you can't help but share. I say that you and your hubby are doing perfectly! You can actually agree on a name! lol
kbothe-your inlaws sound EXACTLY like mine!!!  

the most recent thing my MIL is saying is that "Skyler is not even a real name" and she told my brother-in-law that she plans to call the baby by her middle name rather than her first name.  well, maybe i should train my daughter to call her "meemaw" instead of grandma!!!  i am most annoyed that she doesn't say this stuff to my face.  she is a 60 year old woman!  why does she act like a child??

thank you all for relating :-)  
hiya im going through the same thing i told my sister what i was calling my baby if it was a boy (MacKenzie) and a girl is (Kadence) thanks to the girls on here i choose the girl name thank you. my sister likes the boys name but not the girls she doesn't think its a real name and when my family find out what im calling it  boy or girl they will hate the names i've picked but im not going to listen to them. we are all the ones carrying the babies but other people think they can tell use what to name them as far as im concerned if they don't like the name tuff its not there child and they should have there own and named the baby what ever they want and leave use alone. i love the name skye i was concidering that name. x
i like your names, and i absolutely love kadence!!  as one of the girls mentioned above, some people have a really hard time with names that aren't traditional.  i try to let it roll off my back, but it can be hurtful...especially when my husband and i put months of thought into it.  there is no name that will make EVERYONE happy...  i just hate the fact that people feel it is their place to give their opinions.  especially since when you choose a name, it's something that you are really excited about!
it took me a minute, but the "hot sister" in american wedding was named kadence ;)

i think it's pretty, and i like mackenzie(sp? lol) as well!!!