Pregnancy 18-24 Community
bad circulation in infants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

bad circulation in infants

does anyone know what could cause circulation problems in feet and hands of an infant? i know this is not related to pregnacy but this is the only place that i can chat with others .my son just turned 1 on the 14 th and when i took him to see the doc for a well child visit she was concerned about how red his hands were and how purple looking his feet looked. she told me that if i didn't see any changes to make him an appt. so i didn't see a change and made him a appt. on mon. but i am concerned that it could be serious he was born 3 wks early left lung collapesd,was on a vent had a chest tube .i didn't get to hold him for 2 wks they moved him to childrens and then i had to go there everyday 1 and half hour drive to and backso i could take care of my other kids it was very rough and i don't want it to be major
I dunno what it could be.
I know my daughters hands and/or fingers flush red from time to time.
And her feet get a purple tinge to them from time to time.
It isn't constant. It's only once in a while.
He docs never said anything to me about it so I'm assuming it's normal.

My hands get red when I'm really hot, and my feet turn purplish blue when they're cold.
Maybe that could be the problem?
Or is it really a constant thing.
I dunno.
I really can't be of much help.
My son was in and out of the hospital last year when he was one because his lips hands and feet kept turning blue. They did a ton of tests and found nothing wrong with him. I wouldnt worry about it too much unless you notice he has a difficult time breathing. Hope this helps.
Mrs_Perky~ Have they tried putting him on a pulse ox monitor to see how his oxygen levels are?

Have his hands and feet been really cold when they change colors?
Either one of these issues (low oxygen or cold arms/legs) can lead to the problem your talking about.

My son was a preemie also and spent time in NICU. he also has down syndrome and was born with heart defects. Total hospital time was just over 4 months for him. :) It's tough to think you've gotten past the worrisome stuff only to have something new pop up.
thank you all for your help it is very comforting to know that someone cares so thank you all so much
My 9 month old daughter wakes up almost daily from her afternoon nap with blueish/purple feet and sometimes a hand.  She is toasty warm, so I can't figure it out.  I have spoken to her pediatrician and he said it is just a developing circulatory system.  That just doesn't seem right to me, especially since it didn't happen when she was younger than 8 months.
My cousin did this and he had type one diabetes. Although I will say that I know lots of little ones with this and as long as they are breathing ok and do not have swelling like edema then he should be ok!! This is very common thing. Like amy630 said is is probable just a developing circulatory system. I will pray for him though.