Pregnancy 18-24 Community
best way to sleep??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

best way to sleep??

I was told that sleeping on your back stops the baby from breathing and can kill it, also sleeping on your stomach can kill it by squashing it, so is this true can i only sleep on my back..

i have scoliosis so my back hurts all the time anyway but best relief is laying on my back but now i cant...
when pregnant it is best to sleep mostly on left side, because there is more oxygenated blood flow to uterus. Sleeping on back can put pressure of your arteries and you may pass out in your sleep and not know. Sleeping on stomach does put a lot of pressure on the uterus as you get further along. I am at 33wks and being comfortable is hard while sleeping. I have to toss and turn almost every hour as the hips and legs start hurting. There are special pillow that you can try.
thank you, god i wont be sleeping on my back then, i am only 16 and half weeks pregnant and sleeping its hard cant imagine wat it will be like at 33 weeks
I'm 16 and a half weeks also- congrats!  I've had to sleep with a pillow between my legs for weeks and that helps with comfort. I too am more comfortable on my back but know that I shouldn't be sleeping on my back. I've heard of people sleeping on their stomachs far along but I'm scared to.  What Tima said I've heard/read also about the left side. I've got a goofy hip on my left side so can't sleep all night there - I go back and forth on my right/left side.  I've read that if you put a pillow under your right hip it's okay to be on your back b/c then you're not flat...?  But- I have a friend who's pregnant with twins and at her last u/s when she was on her back she almost passed out - so - flat back sleeping is out!  Good luck!  When are you officially due?  I'm July 11.
Thanks, congrats to you to, i am due around the 14th July. Is this your first time?  

Fun!!!  I had two miscarriages at like 4/5 weeks last spring.  In testing done over the summer it was found I have a blood clotting issue that baby aspirin takes care of!  Have you felt any movements yet?  
i have not felt any movement, hope its ok... been tryin really hard not to sleep on back but its really hard.
yeah leftside is best.
I'm wondering how much of me wanting to sleep on my back is b/c I know I can't...  Last night I used the pillow that's usually between my knees under my right hip and slept kind of lopsidded for a while -that worked too.  I wasn't flat on my back but I could still think I was part on my back...?!
I bought a body pillow at Baby's R Us. It is called "Snoogle" it is the best pillow ever!! It basically wraps around your body and pretty forces you to stay laying on your left side. It is super comfy and I never slept better since I started using it. I do a lot less worrying to now. If I could get pass the part of peeing all night and the leg cramps I would be back to normal!! (whatever normal is at almost 21 wks pg)
Use lots and lots of pillows!!! LOL! Your baby won't die from you sleeping on your back, but it will definitely have less oxygen. At least I've never heard about a baby dying because the mom slept on her back.

Many preg. women sleep on their tummies until it is uncomfy for them. Babies have lots of room until the last month or two, so you can sleep on your tummy.