Pregnancy 18-24 Community
bleeding in pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

bleeding in pregnancy

ok.. well i had posted a question a few days ago regarding spotting in pregnancy.. i'm so confused! i am 5 weeks 1 day pregnant.. had spotting for the past 4 days or so, progressively heavier and more bright red.. so far my beta's have looked great.. i'm on progesterone.. though its a little low (12) we have increased my dosage.... i went in yesterday morning out of concern for the light bleeding and my beta came back great.. doubling every 30 hours.. and then yesterday evening the cramping came back (mild, but noticable) and i started bleeding heavily.. this lasted a few hours and now i'm only spotting.. i have an ultrasound on monday.. but until then i'm just curious.. did i miscarry? i am still starved and a little nauseated.. plus my beta was still increasing fast as of yesterday.. I"M SO CONFUSED! anyone had this or know someone that did and still was ok? my dr thinks it could be a subchorionic hematoma, or of course a miscarriage is on that list as well.. THANKS for any help!
If your really concerned, i'd go to the er.  especially with mild cramping and heavier bleeding.  if you go they do an u/s and take your blood again and check everything
I would definately go to the ER as well, I hope all is well but the heavy bleeding is not normally a good sign! It will at least ease your mind and at least your numbers are still good! I wish you Tons of Luck
Don't go to the ER. The ER doctors aren't trained as obgyns and so they will automatically tell you that any type of bleeding in pregnancy is a "threatened miscarriage". Basically since even if you are miscarrying there wouldn't be anything they can do so you would be one of the last people to been seen. When I was bleeding at 5 weeks during my pregnancy and went to the hospital I waited for 6 hours to see someone only to be told it was a "threatened miscarriage" and to follow up with my obgyn. Needless to say I bled worse than a period bright red with cramps for 5 weeks almost everyday of my pregnancy due to a subchorionic hematoma (cut in the uterus) and my daughter is now 9 months and completely perfect. I would wait until monday when your doctor gets into his office and in the mean time take it easy and know that so far your baby has pulled through and that there is a great chance it will continue to.
Also, its only when you are bleeding heavy enough that you go through 3 thick pads in 1 hour that you are supposed to go to the ER. When you go they may check your levels to see if they are rising or they may just check your uterus to see if it is opening and send you home. I've had both happen to me.
Thank yall so very much!  

alaysha: thank you.. you defintely give me hope! so you did have cramping with your Subchroinc? i've heard some people say they didnt' have any cramping and that worrys me since i did have some, but not bad.. i've had mild craming every time i've been pregnant (now if i could stay preg!)  just never had bleeding. talk about nerves!!! yes i'm going to wait until monday.. since i know there is nothing the ER can do for me.. yes it would be nice to know now.. but my dr didn' want to ultrasound me today (i'm 5 weeks 1 day) and not see anything and it just be too early.. so he wanted to give it three more days and we should see something by then.. I pray that i have good news
    I cant' believe that you had bleeding (sounding like simliar to mine) and a pregnancy survived! i keep thinking its impossible, but praying for a miracle like yours!
Oh also don't be shocked if you don't see a heartbeat until after six weeks. We got an ultrasound at 5w3d only saw a sac 5w5d only saw a sac and 6w1d we FINALLY saw a heartbeat. Had cramping and clots.
Thanks! yea my dr warned me that if we do see something that it will prob just be a sac at that point.. (HOPEFULLY!!!!) and then on the 20th is when my original fetal ultrasound is scheduled that we hope to see more.. hope hope hope!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and I'll keep you both in my prayers.
bny- the pain of a miscarriage is BAD its not like af cramps its more like labor pain.  When I had my mc I went to the ER and they did every single test you could imagine to rule out all posibilities before calling it a miscarriage.  They did an ultrasound, pelvic, blood test, EVERYTHING.  I would recommend going to the ER.  They can't really do much for you if you are having a mc but if you are not then it will be a relief.
good luck, I hope that baby sticks!
I wish you the best of luck!!!  I wouldnt bother going to the er though.... I went to the er when i mc last december and they let me sit in the waiting room scared out of my mind for 3 hours before they saw me, because they said once it starts there is nothing they can do so it wasnt tech. and emergency.  When they finaly did see me they did a blood test and ultrasound to indeed confirm I was miscarrying.  IM keeping my fingers crossed that your lil one is ok.  It doesnt sound like a mc to me though, with mine the cramping was pretty darn painful and i was losing clots of blood.
yea, my last mc was super painful, but my placenta was almost 10 weeks in size (we had a blighted ovum, so placenta was normal size and so was the sac, but it was empty) and the cramping was very mild right now. but at 5 weeks i wasn't sure what to expect for a misarriage. is it still really painful that early? i guess i fiugred it would be like a period..hope yall are right though! we'll find out tomorrow, which cant' come soon enough.. im still having mild bleeding, but only on and off.. with mild cramping stilll.. ugh!
I have had 2 miscarriages with spotting.  I am currently 7 weeks 3 days pregnant at at 5 weeks I started spotting. Red, then brown.  Never cramps but I had my betas checked & ultrasounds & everythign is going great. Sometimes spotting is normal & then of course sometimes it is not.  Good luck & just has hard as it might be just try NOT to worry & lay down with your feet up.
I just got out the hospital for bleeding. I been in there for about a week. They ran and ultrasound on me an my baby was doing ok. The reason why hay say i was bleeding was because my cord had some blood around it but ut would clear up up but dont no how long. It really scared me when a blood clot came out of me.
thanks so much for yalls replies! just got back from the dr.. looks like i did miscarry.. ugh.. again!   so back to more injections and IUI's etc.. hopefully third time is the charm.
I would at least call your doc and tell about the heavy bleeding.  They may have you come in for a scan just to check, and that can be reassuring for you.  

In the meantime, I once heard this saying about spotting in pregnancy:

"If the blood is brown, walk around.
If the blood is red, go to bed."
yea.. just had an ultrasound i had a miscarriage..   thats a good saying.. thats what i did.. with the pink i was ok.. but once the red started i was on bedrest.. though it did no good : (