Pregnancy 18-24 Community
blood mutation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

blood mutation

I am 13 weeks pregnant and I have had two miscarriages and 1 live birth, my son.  With my son I had PreEclampsia so the new OB that I am going to did a test MTHFR and it came up with two blood mutations C677T and A1298C   which he says together could lead to a miscarriage or Pre Eclampsia but treated my risks are reduced. So I am starting a shot each day of Lovenox and a baby asprin along with my prenatals and iron. I don't have another appointment until the 26th but I would like to know if anyone is familiar with all of this.
I googled the two blood mutations you mentioned and found tons of science articles with lots of complicated jargon (and that's coming from someone who loves science! lol).  I did however, find a site where a woman was also asking a question similar to yours and she got many responses from others.  Her question and the replies to it are here: http://www. pregnancy-info .net/QA/answers-MTHFR_/  (take out the spaces)

From what I've read, MTHFR is a blood clotting disorder, which is why you were prescribed lovenox (which reduces the risk of deep vein thrombosis -- aka blood clots) and low-dose aspirin.  

I also did a google search for 'blood clots and pregnancy' and found a page at the March of Dimes about thrombophilias (a group of disorders that promote blood clotting).  That site can be found here: http://www. marchofdimes .com/professionals/14332_9264.asp (again, remove the spaces =D).  One thing it said about thrombophilias and complications in pregnancy is:

"The thrombophilias also may contribute to pregnancy complications including (1, 3):

*Fetal loss. This may occur late in the first trimester (miscarriage) or in the second or third trimesters (stillbirth).
    *Placental abruption. In this condition, the placenta peels away from the uterine wall, partially or completely, before delivery. This can cause heavy bleeding that is dangerous for mother and baby.

Doctors believe that these problems may result from blood clots in placental vessels."

As always, whenever you have questions about your body and what's going on with it, consult your doctor.  If s/he doesn't have the answers, they can refer you to someone who can explain it better (i.e. a genetic counselor who specializes in such mutations).

I wish you lots of luck with your pregnancy!  Lots of sticky baby dust!!  <3
two miscarriages  god with you i ha one and now am 13 week preg. so i understand how its feel hope you have a hulthy baby
I have exactly the same thing you do. I have an MTHFR mutation that causes me to miscarry due to my body sending blood clots to the baby.  Since discovering this and once again becoming pregnant, I have been put on Lovenox. I take one shot a day, and I started this the moment I found out I was pregnant. While TTC I took one baby aspirin a day. When I started the Lovenox my OB told me to stop the baby aspirin, and only do the Lovenox.

Because of the Lovenox, I am now almost 18 weeks pregnant with a very active baby. I will take the Lovenox right up until the end of my pregnancy. My hubby gives me the shots. I have to ice the area first, otherwise it hurts really bad, but if I ice it a good 3-5 minutes before the shot, I cant even feel it.

I think that you will find the success you are looking for with the Lovenox. Congratulations on finally getting a diagnosis, it will make a big difference for you!!!!