Pregnancy 18-24 Community
constant menstrual cramps in 3rd trimester?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

Has anyone ever experienced constant mentrual cramps that don't go away, only vary in intensity during their 3rd trimester?  I am 29 weeks and spent the night in labor and delivery last night getting checked out, because I have had constant menstrual cramps since about 7pm last night.  These are NOT ligament pains - I've had those too and these are NOT on the sides at all, it is very centered and concentrated around my lower uterus.  They haven't gone away, but sometimes they are worse then others.  I don't think they're braxton hicks, because those are supposed to come and go and only last for a few minutes.  This truly just feels like I have my period.

So far they determined it is NOT preterm labor - my cervix was tight and closed, and they even swabbed it and did a lab test to tell if I was going to go into labor soon, which was negative.  They tested my urine for a UTI and that was clean, and they did an ultrasound and baby and placenta looked fine.  

I personally think it's just my uterus stretching as it starts to really increase in size, because it does feel similar to what it felt like at the very beginning of pregnancy when you get those uterus stretching cramps and they say it's normal.  Just wondering if anyone else ever experienced this?
That never happened to me and your level of pain intensity doesnt sound "normal".  Do you have a follow-up with your doctor?  Maybe that will shed some light on the situation.
I have had these, but they do go away for me.  I asked my doctor on Wed at my appointment and he said that this feeling is from the bottom of the uterus stretching and becoming thinner and more flexible.  The top will become harder and more stiff in order to push out the baby.  I don't know if this is your first child or not but because this is my second, I am feeling it more.  I didn't feel this with my first.  He did ask me how frequently I was feeling this and it's not a lot.  I'm not sure what the frequency indicates in your situation.  If you have been checked out and all is well, I guess the only thing you can do is wait it out.  Have you tried drinking more water and staying well hydrated?  This might help.  
In answer to your questions:

This is my first baby, and it took 3 years to conceive her.  In fact, I was supposed to have a hysterectomy in July because of all of my issues, but instead I had them drill my ovaries so I could ovulate on my own and it worked!  So we have been very nervous but until now, no complications

I drink ridiculous amounts of water already!  :o)

I have an appt next Friday, but I got to speak to my doctor today.  I have a very physical job and he told me no more work for me because he does not want to tempt fate :o(

He also said if it doesn't go away I have to go on bedrest - BOOOO!!!  But as long as baby is OK I'm trying to stay calm and just hang in there!
Hi, I am 35 weeks.  Last Sunday I woke up at about 1 in the morning and started exsperiencing the same thing as you are.  I was so scared I even posted a thread about it as well, if you look Im sure you could find it. lol.. They lasted all morning I finally called my doctor at 9 and never heard back from him, cause of course he was on vacation.  Well my mom kept asking me questions about how far apart are they and blah blah blah, i was getting so irritated, cause I kept telling her there not far apart there constant, just like period cramps but she just didnt understand.  So I ended up going to Labor and Delievery at about 12 or so.  still had them, I got to the hospital and they slowed down. They hooked me up to the monitor and the heartbeat thing for the baby..Sorry dont know what its called at the moment. Its very early.  But nothing showed except alil increase when I got one painful cramp.  So they did a urine test, and checked my cervix, my cervix was completly closed.  It took over an hour to get my results from urine.  But it showed up that i had the start of a bladder infection.. Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard, like they couldnt explain what was wrong with me so they came up with something.  How can you detect the START of a bladder infection.  so they gave me an antibiotic for it, and i was like whatever, cause the cramps had stopped.. they too told me to drink more water.. I was like omg why does everyone tell me that, I drink so much water as it is I cant imagine drinking anymore.lol..  But Then Wednesday I got those cramps again, they lasted for several hours.  I didnt do anything about it cause i had a routine checkup the following day.  So I went to my appointment, and I asked my doctor about them and all he would tell me is that there BH or my body preparing for the labor.. Well I know there not BH.  And the nurse on Sunday also said something about ligament pains, but i knew it wasnt that either cause they wernt in the sides, they were in the lower pelvic area just like menstral cramps.. so till this day I have no idea what its from.  I have asked everyone and no one can seem to help.  Its really upsetting... Sorry you are going through this and I hope you donthave to be put on bedrest. Good luck to you, and if you figure more out about it, please share your info with me too lol
Thank you!  You are the FIRST person to tell me they experienced the same thing!  I had a feeling there was something they didn't want to tell me cuz they didn't want to worry me - like what your doctor said about your body preparing to go into labor.  I am only 29 1/2 weeks so it would be a very big deal.  I just got home from my birthing class and spoke to the woman who we are probably going to hire as our doula and she basically said if it happens again to get it checked out - EVERY time.  That made me uneasy.  I said "but they just checked me and everything was fine" she acted just like my doctor - like there was something they didn't want to worry me with but were concerned about.  Perhaps it is what you said about preparing to go into labor. :o(
I am 33 weeks and I just started feeling the menstrual-like cramps today.  They are relatively mild but constant.  I wanted to find out what's causing it, and I found your posts.  I think stretching makes me feel a little better...  I hope it isn't a sign of preterm labor.