Pregnancy 18-24 Community
do cervix exams indicate whether you may go in labour early?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

had an internal on monday and dr said my cervix was high, long and soft. i remember reading something on here about cervix and its connection to when labour was likely to be but can't find it. anyone know?
managed to get a little info from google which says that a soft cervix indicates baby's head settling down ( effacing? ) and i guess at only 29 1/2 weeks that's a little early. any ideas anyone?
Everyone is different. I read a stories and stories of how womens cervix are soft and dialated even and they stay that way for wks.
Then another lady who was just like you. Closed, high, and long and she went into labor within 24hrs.
My cervix started to thin at 28wks, but I haven't had any labor yet. So.... I know we all try to put weight into things cause we want to know whats going to happen and when.... Never seems to work out that way.
Like dark said it all depends on the person...I went into preterm labor at 33 weeks and my cervix was closed and only slightly effaced.  I stayed that way until 36 weeks when my cervix was dialated to 3cm and was 80% effaced and then at 37 weeks i was 4 cm and 90% effaced.  I finally delivered at 38 weeks.  So while it may be a little early for your cervix to be thinning it doesn't mean you'll go into labor any time soon.  Hopefully you can keep that little one in there until closer to your due date.  Good luck!!
when do they start doing pelvic exams in your 3rd trimester?  I haven't had one yet and I'm 31 weeks.
Mumita- Usually not until 37 weeks, I get one at my 34 check-up but only because that's when my OB checks for strep B.
Does it seem to any of you guys that the clock is ticking really really fast?  6 weeks to me seem like tomorrow!  
i'm starting to get nervous.
When the baby's head drops his/her head (should be head down if dropping) will rest on your cervix pushing it further down. I really don't understand the efacement I think it's the thickness of the mucus plug but I don't understand how they measure that. And then you have dilation which is how far your cervix has opened. It can open to ten centemeters. When you're at a ten, you're ready to deliver. You could be a certain percentage effaced and dilating and still not have the baby for a long time. I was dilated to a one for the longest time I think I started dilating at about 34 weeks but it stayed at a one and nothing else was going on. THen at about 36 weeks I started dilating further and having contractions and still didn't have my baby. I was even in the hospital in the delivery room four times because they thought I was ready but after a about twelve hours of laying in the hospital everything would stop and I didn't have him until 39 weeks.
I have a friend who was dilated to a one for like two months before having her baby, and my sister was the same way. So just because you're dilating and effacing and such doesn't really mean a whole lot. You could be that way for a long time before anything really happens. Everyone is different though. You bever know.

Mutima I think they start check your cervix at 36 or 37 weeks, when you start seeing the doctor every week during the last month unless you are complaining of problems such as redish mucus that looks like mucus plug or amniotic fluid, or strong frequent contractions or bleeding, etc. You still have a bit to go before they start checking your cervix.
Effacement is how thin your cervix is. A normal cervix measures 4cm thick.

The reason I had a pelvic at 28wks was cause i started bleeding.
request a fetal fibronecten (sp) test. I tested positive for it with my son last year and it's something that can help determine if there's gonna be a bumpy road down the Preterm Labor Highway. Not necessarily proving that you will HAVE the baby early, but wether or not bedrest is out your way.