Pregnancy 18-24 Community
extreme hunger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to pregnancy and childbirth in women age 18 to 24.

extreme hunger

i am 9 weeks along, (10 on friday) and just recently at the beginning of this week (the 19th) i woke up feeling extremely hungry. However, at the same time all of a sudden, it seems like I can hardly eat anything, because it makes me feel nauseous, especially hot food.. but the thing is i am hungry basically ALL the time. I wake up in the middle of the night especially hungry, and in the morning when I wake up I am so hungry that I feel lightheaded and/or shaky. I eat something, and it satisfies me for 30 mins - an hour at the most before I am feeling starving again. I usually have to eat slowly and force the food down with a drink between every few bites. Sometimes I try to fill up on drinks or ice so I am not overeating, and plus like I said most food makes me feel nauseous even to smell it. I don't know what to do.. is anyone else or has anyone else faced this? Why did it just randomly come on and how long will this last??? It is nearly unbearable, especially when I wake up in the morning and am feeling like I can barely walk to the kitchen to even fix myself some food I am feeling so hungry. I also start feeling really tired if i don't eat.
Hi!  I know exactly how you feel!  I started feeling like that around week 6 and it was pretty horrible!  Like out of nowhere I was starving, my stomach was growling, and I was so hungry that I would start gagging!  I used to wake up every single night to get something to eat because I couldn't help it!  Water or anything liquid did not help at all.  And the worse part was that my morning sickness was so bad that I didn't want to eat to begin with.  From what I've read, the reason this happens is because our blood sugar can drastically drop all of a sudden and that's why you get that hunger like that.  That's what I read.  I never really asked my doctor.  The good news is, I'm now 30 weeks and I haven't felt hunger like that in a while, I would say week 12 or so.  The bad news is, that now I can barely eat!  If I have a little snack, I'm full for hours!  So going out to eat is a waste of money because I can never finish my meal!  And hear I always thought that being pregnant I would be eating all the time!  Haha
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers